1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sunday Morning November Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Nov 14, 1999.

1. popeye

popeye Member

So we're 2-5. What next?

Give your predictions for the following games. Mine is in parenthesis.

Mon 15 Indiana W First true test in last four games. Rockets will run ragged,and we are treyed all night by the Pacers, but our inside game prevails. Rockets spacing and containment defense are the keys in this game. We are learning the "easy game",although this will not be an easy game. A two point win.

Tue 16 at DallasWCloser game than anyone imagined, guards verses guards make it interesting. Foreigners make a run for the Mav's but a squeaker win for the Red Glare.

Thu 18 SacramentoWThis team may give us fits all season long. They have veterans and speed. Same as us,only a year to play together.Fun matchups at every position.
    We will win at home for this one. Barely.

Sat 20 at SeattleLThis will be another fun-to-watch matchup game with GP and Stevie playing their games. Francis will be more up and ready for GP this time, but they are playing at home. They have surprised every team this year, with their cohesive straight forward offense, and we will be surprised also. Rockets lose in the final two shots by three points. Guess who takes the shot?

Sun 21 at SacramentoLSee above. Thay are playing at home. Another good matchup. Great game under the basket. We are tired have no legs in the fourth. Our loss by seven or eight.

Tue 23 DallasW or L? Can't call this one!! What is it with Dallas that they love to beat us at Compaq? They will especially do damage if some IR guys like Trent are playing up to potential. The guard positions again will be the key. The last three games will have Francis either super tired or pumped to grind. Too close to call for a win and I can't live with calling it a lose. LOL

Fri 26 at PortlandL This will be a lot closer than anyone expects. It will be rough. It will be "T" time. If the media-hyped intrique, the ball hoggin' in-fighting on these two "depth teams" and all the "finesse versus raw talent" isn't enough, then ya'll don't get enough fibre in your diet. This will be one of the best NBA games so far this year from anyone's perspective. Even Bob Costas. Strategy will win. Not talent. Not depth. It will be close. We are playing the best of the West. We will come up short.

Mon 29 at VancouverW A good competitive game which we should win from all and every account ... unless we take them too lightly. Injuries to Grant Long and Big Dog may seal their coffin. Fun to see our little brothers play. I saw a Griz game this year and they look awkward at times, but the team has super promise this season. Bibby and Dickerson have great chemistry in the backcourt and Shareef is a "Go To Guy" on any team. Not enough for them though. Game over by the third quarter.

End result: by December 1 we will be around .500 (7-8)

Considering all the doom and gloom and the lessons learned,I can live with that.

2. 360degree

360degree Member

Pops,

Not going into the reasons why, I state for the record that I agree with your ascertion that we will be around .500 starting later this week.

The key in the whole string to me is Monday. They come out flat against these guys and the bubble will be burst and it could trigger another bad run. However, a good solid win over a top team like the Pacers, at home, will do wonders for the chemistry and confidence that this team (and I do finally see team in their play - including the big two) really needs.

[This message has been edited by 360degree (edited November 14, 1999).]

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Indiana: L
    Dallas: W
    Sacramento: L
    Seattle: L
    Dallas: L
    Portland: L
    Vancouver: W

4-11...

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Cabbage are you serious?

5. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Indiana: W
    Seattle: W

7-8

6. thacabbage

Francis3:

Nope. I just don't want to set too high expectations for the team, or I might find myself disappointed.

7. popeye

popeye Member

LOL Cabman.

Still playing the pessimist to my optimism I see.

[or is that your yang to my ying, or my yang to your .... oh never mind! [​IMG]]

8. Air Francis

Air Francis Member

You guys are kidding. They beat 2 of the worst teams around. The Warriors were on the second day of a back-to-back.

The Rockets aer getting better but Dream is still missing a lot of shots and Barkley is not much better. They are still making lots of mistakes and wasting possessions.

Dallas: L
    Sacramento: W

5-10 at Dec 1

9. thacabbage

BUT, on an optimistic note:

The NBA is all about momentum, and if the Rockets can somehow squeak out a win Monday night, it could really do wonders for this team's morale. They need to take advantage of the Pacers' backcourt weaknesses, tommorrow night. Attack Miller and Jackson. Start Cato and Rogers. This will allow Charles to destroy the Pacers' bench, and will keep the athletically challenged Walt Williams clear away from Jalen Rose. Oh yea, make sure Bryce Drew is not in the game at the same time Travis Best is.

10. FrancisRox

FrancisRox Member

Better yet why not limit bryce to picking up the little gatorade cups. If he's good at that give him a shot at towel boy...maybe

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

A fun respite from the negativos. What the hey, let's add points...

Indiana: W, 7 (or 11) pts
    Dallas: W, 3pts
    Sacramento: L, 6pts
    Seattle: W, 2pts
    Sacramento: L, 1 pt
    Dallas: W, 8pts
    Portland: L, 13 pts
    Vancouver: W, 18 pts

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Sacramento: W
    6-9

The Rockets back to back shouldnt be that tyring anymore since the only old guys are Dream Chuck and maybe T-Mass. I look forward to Steve taking total control in those back to back situations along with our young guys.

13. Axeman

Axeman Member

Vancouver: L
    5-10

Vancouver's backcourt will out run and out gun ours. Othella will finally get his chance to show up Barkley - and he will deliver.

Portland will completely destroy our team. Completely. Let's just hope it's not by 40 points.

Sacramento will win a couple of close games against us. They may not seem that good, but they are still better than us.

Dallas sucks and, unlike last year, we will find a way to beat them in both the home and road games.

Seattle - once again, backcourt will prevail. Maxwell/Payton combination will be too much in the end.

Indiana - NO CONTEST. Sorry, we beat two crappy teams this weekend, and this is far from a crappy team. They will also destroy us much like the Blazers. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

14. Air Francis

Air Francis Member

ok, if anyone picks all the winners correctly in these 8 games, then we have to refer to them as "ye ol King of ClutchCity" for a week.

Popeye, since yous said 7-8, I'll assume you picked them to beat Dallas twice.

15. In the two Rocket wins, their opponents were missing 2 or 3 major pieces, and neither one was a sounding vicory. Both those teams (without the players) combined couldn't contend for a CBA title.

Indiana- That team is all about what the Rox are striving to be. A chemistry laiden team. Hak has severe trouble against big plodding centers, considering how he's played against Jon Ameachi, John Salley, and whatever they call a center in Golden state, watch out. Take Indy

Dallas- Are you guys recalling that we officially have the longest team losing streak to the Mavericks? (Not sure just gussing) Dallas always seems to give the Rox fits, and Hakeem will agains struggle against the tall plodding center, and Ill give the Mavs the win because they are at home.

Sacremento- They are tough all around. I consider them to have the best all around starting five in the league. The Rox desperately need a home win now. Rudy sees that Vlade, and Webber can hold their own, and them some against Hakeem and Chuck in the middle, giving the game to Francis, Mobley, and Anderson. Sprinkle in a little Carlos and its close. The determining factor is whether or not the Rox want a home win bad enough. Toss up.

Seattle- Gary Payton is all they'll need to stay close in this game. But give it to the Rox. The sonics have been playing great team Ball so far, but the Rox should be able to corrale a win over this lagging team in contenders clothing.

Sacremento-Take the Kings because they are at home. If you guys haven't caught a Kings home game yet, WOW. Talk about home court advantage. That team gets hyped out there. Kings blow past the Rox.

Dallas. Steve Nash shoots 3-19, Michael Finley goes for over 30, but no one else comes to play. Rox win

Portland. Compounded by the fact that not only are the Rox playing the best team, but its at their rocous arena, and the Rox are minced meat. Hakeem struggles against a rotation of Wallace, Sabonis, and Oneal. Francis toasts Damon. Williams burns Pipp with an array of pump fakes (see last year) but everywhere else the Blazers mash the Rox.

Vancouver- Vancouver has the home crowd, and a much, much more improved team, but the Rox are too much inside for Oakley, and Big country Time Lemonade. Hakeem abuses Oster...err Reeves, Barkley has a solid game, but Williams gets eaten alive by Rahim. The battle in the Backcourt is a draw as Francis shines, and Anderson struggles against Anderson 2, and Bibby has a solid game.

Either 3-5 or 4-4.

16. popeye

popeye Member

AirFrance:

Actually I supposed it should be either 6-9 or 7-8. Like I said I have my doubts about one of the two Mav games. Too chicken to call it 0-2 and too embarassed to call it a Dallas sweep.
    For argument's sake let's give me an edge at 6-9 on December 1,1999. [​IMG]

Dreamshake:

So is that 5-10 or 6-9 on December 1,1999?

17. popeye

popeye Member

The Book on December Standings(W:L)

popeye...................... 6-9
    CabbageHead................. 4-11
    EuroChocoletRockolet........ 7-8
    AeroFrancisco............... 5-10
    Leonard the Cohen........... 7-8
    RocketeerOuttaHeer.......... 6-9
    HatchetMan.................. 5-10
    Shake-A-Lake-A-Lam-Dam-Doo.. 6-9
    GreekJammer(I Like your Thoughts)10-5

Sorry if I forgot anyone? Just add a post,and I will edit as necessary.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited November 15, 1999).]

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Indiana: W (87-83)
    Dallas: W (124-100)
    Sacramento: W(112-106)
    Seattle: W (98-97)
    Sacramento: W (111-103)
    Dallas: W (79-72)
    Portland: W (101-82)
    Vancouver: W (95-86)

10-5

19. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

A long Road Ahead.
    INY-L
    DALL-W
    SAC-L
    SEA-L
    DALL-W
    POR-L
    VAN-L
    THIS TEAM NEEDS A A VETERAN POINT GUARD.
    NO NOT DREW CAREY.

20. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Indiana: W - We have momentum...it's possible
    Dallas: W - We will pull this one out
    Sacramento: W - keep the streak going + home
    Seattle: L - This will be a measuring stick of progress
    Sacramento: L - Away, and with vengeance in their mind
    Dallas: W - Will pull this off at home
    Portland: L - I want this one bad, but away
    Vancouver: W - Our previous starters may be pissed, but I don't think can handle us.

7-8 by Dec 1st

------------------
    -Peace to the Believers