1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A_3PO, Jul 2, 2018.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hope Utah matches up against OKC again next year in the 1st round. It will be hilarious to see Westbrook get mad at a rook.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Man I can't believe how lucky the Mavs are for getting Doncic.

19 year old MVP in the fricking Euro league. How the hell did he drop to 5 (yeah yeah taken 3rd but Atlanta basically took Young at 3 since they liked him more)? He should have been no 1, his age and MVP shows he is both young and has instant impavt wtf. He should have been first no questions asked just on credentials alone esp since there is no "lebron" or even "Kat" in this draft.

Even worse Bagley and Young look like hot trash and would be cut from camp if they were undrafted. Cubes probably laughing himself to sleep every night. Unreal. Btw I also think Bamba is gonna be a star and the best big in this draft his measurements are crazy.

BigO likes this.
  3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Alot of Young's defender are saying give him time, he's only 19, compare his summer league's to Curry's, yet here's the thing...Curry wasn't drafted at #3 or traded for a number 3 pick....#13 vs. #3/#5, in that draft range, you better be getting a real deal player. Of course, they all or mostly can bust .. 2000 Draft. But . . .you have to be getting guys who are going to have a higher ceiling or come in with the most impact. Curry was a much better shooter.

Usually with project players, you want to take that chance on a player who might be physically or athletically dominant, but a player who doesn't have those. It's going to be kind hard, because you have to hope they learn quick and pick up their skills fast.

#43 plutoblue11, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    BigO and roslolian like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

The thing with Curry is, he is actually athletic. Most people assume Curry is just Steve Nash but Curry has really good athleticism thats how he can get separation and thats why his ankles are shot its because of all the instantaneous movement he has to do on every play.

Atlanta just looked at Trae Young's performance agaimst college kids but here in SL or even in the NBA the guys are more athletic than in college. If Young can't have good games against SL scrubs he is gonna flop hard in the NBA. I've seen lots of guys who beasted in SL but were scrubs in the NBA (Donte Green, Tariq Black) but I've never seen a guy who flops in SL but somehow blows up in the NBA.

BigO and plutoblue11 like this.
  5. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

https://www.complex.com/sports/2015/07/nba-stars-terrible-summer-league-debuts/

Note not saying he'll be great but it does happen. It really depends if Trae Young hits those open shots or not.

6. opticon

opticon Member

True, even Jeremy Lin was giving John Wall the buisness in summer league.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you want to argue Trae Young's upside is Bev, Trey Burke and Greivis Vasquez, I'm good with that. His upside appears to be a ~7th/8th man on a contender. I said as much before the draft.

The word "great" shouldn't even be in the discussion.

plutoblue11 and roslolian like this.
  8. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Not projecting anything. It's much easier to be negative on undersize not super athletic points. We see them fail every year.

My reply was just a interesting tidbit on rookies that did not do well in summer league but became good or decent players.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im seeing Trae Young struggle so bad. You have to get yourself going by taking some midrange jumpers. I watched Currys first NBA game and he was pulling up on those midrange. The iq of today's game is pretty low.

saleem likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah bro that list consists of role players/average starters I wouldnt say they were "blowing up" except for De Andre Jordan but Jordan is a big man those guys generally take years to get good so he doesn't count.

Vasquez, Beverly, David West, Greene...of course some guys will eventually get better from when they were rookies but if you are gonna be a superstar you have to show something in SL because those guys are around your level of development.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I think trae young can be a good nba player in the future, but for that to happen the kid needs to stop thinking he's 2013- present steph curry. He's taking pull up off the dribble jumpers from 5 feet beyond the 3 point line and not to mention taking way too much shots with way too much dribbling. In short he's been a ball hog with beyond terrible shot selections.

Kid needs to realize, just because Curry can take those shots (and make them) doesnt mean he can. Even Steph Curry wasnt taking those shots his first 3 or 4 years in the league. He'll only have a chance if he calms the F down and make the simple plays and realize that this isn't OSU and he isn't a star.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  12. munco

munco Member

bagley had a good game though. and the difference is Doncic isn't playing summer league. what if doncic played in summer league and also put up two bad games. while i have no faith in trae young it's too early to call him a bust. and even though bagley was terrible in his last game i think he'll be a player.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Doncic putting up bad games in SL wouldnt make sense because he was MVP in the Euro league, thats like saying Harden would have bad games in the G league its possible but its highly unlikely. Euro league is the 2nd hardest league in the world, its tougher than college or D league or SL so if Doncic can be the MVP there why would he struggle against SL players?

As for Bagley if he is gonna play SF then he is gonna suck he should play at PF. He may be a player but my money's on Luca outplaying picks 1-4.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what i see in trae young's struggles is physical. he's so weak and slight of build that he's been unable to finish anywhere near the paint, and the farther out 3pt line is also a more difficult shot while having to shoot over better defenders. maybe with a couple years of working out w/ nba trainers and just getting older he'll be able to cope more

saleem, plutoblue11 and BigO like this.
  15. mig0s

mig0s Member

Is this a Trae Young only thread? Can we tall about the random turkish guy who dropped 40 for Philly?

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Trae Young actually played worth a dime against the Knicks. Didn't shoot well (OK, it was lights out compared to Utah SL) but he set up other guys and demonstrated a better understanding of his limitations. He has a long way to go but today was encouraging.

I didn't pay much attention to John Collins last year. He plays with an exceptional ferocity. He also demonstrated a sweet looking 3-point shot. I'll try to keep track of him this upcoming season. He has nothing more to prove in SL and the Hawks should sit him the last 2 games.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

"Pop the Kork" should be patented, when Furkan hits it big.

I like how they highlighted the fact that he had 2 assists, and put that side to side with his 40 points. :D

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i had the chance to see him few times between summer league and a couple of games with Atlanta, they guy was already really good.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Vivi likes this.