1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Game 3 and 4 Impressions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jogo, Jul 12, 2017.

1. jogo

jogo Member

Here’s what I saw in games 3 and 4.

Onu-He played pretty well in game 3 but not game 4. He did shove Mike James in game 3 and I liked it (after Mike pushed Troy for blocking his ass). Game 4 Onu looked pretty blah. For example, he gave up at least 2 layups as guards drove past him. Some poor body language too, at least on the last play when Taylor turned it over. I do think Taylor should be our 3rd PG and he and Onu played together all last year. That should help if they are both on the court together this year.

Hartenstein-Harty can pass pretty well at times. He also missed back to back FTs and has trouble finishing at the rim. He had a nice drive and layup from the 3pt line in game 4. He didn’t look very good in game 3 but looked better in game 4 (esp in the 2nd Q). He’s young and has shown a lot of promise.

Long-Played some PF in these games after playing just C in the other games. Didn’t show me much in these two games. But Long has great advanced stats while in the NBA last year so he might have potential (even though he’s probably being traded).

Qi-Played much better in game 3 than game 4. Played some C when we went smallball with Troy at the PF spot. Qi knows when to rotate and helps on D very well. Can he guard big players down low? Don’t know. Qi didn’t rebound very well in any games this summer. His shooting was poor almost every game but most of those are 3 pointers. I believe the NBA 3 point line is about 1 ½ feet longer than the one in the CBA. That may be impacting his shot. He might look better on offense when he learns our offense.

Oliver-Played some in game 3 but none in game 4. Played some poor D on Bender against Phx. Did make back to back 3 pointers that game.

Uthoff-I don’t think he played at all in game 3 and played very little in game 4. We’re obviously hiding him so no team will want him in trade. Also, he can’t be traded with other players until after August 29th and I’m pretty sure his salary will be guaranteed by then. Maybe we can trade him singly for a cheap played to a team that wants to save money.

Troy-Played a little bit of PF but mostly SF. He is pressing a bit this summer but it’s not much of a negative. Could get to the rim a bunch but did get blocked a bit or failed to convert (though often drew fouls). Is very athletic and played really good D at times.

CJ-He just played well in both games and all summer. Doesn’t make many mistakes, hustles and plays good D, and can make a 3 pointer. Scored more in game 4 than in other games. He could be a backup guard if we need one.

McCree/Peak-Both played very little and didn’t show much when they did play.

McCallum-He’s an okay defender, as evidenced by D’ing up on Josh Jackson on one play. But often didn’t run the point (Quarterman did) and there’s not a place for him on our team (unless for some reason we prefer him to Taylor).

Quarterman-Looked bad in game 3 but actually really good in game 4. Played a bit of PG and I didn’t realize he could do that (thought he was just a SG). He’s 6’6”, that’s huge for a PG. As a backup he might have potential for another team.

Taylor-Missed a bunch of layups in both games. Could get by his defender in both games most of the time. Not as many assists these two games and more sloppy than in the previous two games. He was easily our best summer league player.

2. Remlap

Remlap Member

Good write up.
    Didn't get to watch the last game so helpful summary

3. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I was impressed by Taylor's numbers. I didn't catch most of the games, but did Taylor seem capable to being the 2nd guard off the bench?

And how far are guys like Qi and Onu from becoming apart of the rotation? We're short on big men at the moment, so someone might need to step up.

4. basketballholic

CO looked dreadful defensively.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

my impressions ...generally:

1) Trade Nanu (hard to develop 3 bigs at the same time) -he just doesn't look good.
    2) Develop Haretnstein and Joe Chee in the D-League next year -lots of upside with both players, but very raw
    3) Actively roster Troy Williams, Oliver, and Isaiah Taylor -they are all ready to get NBA minutes; i think Taylor's upside is through the roof; best player on our summer league squad. I need to see more of Oliver to be sure, but he's probably the most well-rounded player on the summer league squad. No question Troy is our most dangerous scorer on the squad.

I really like Chris Johnson, and he more controlled and polished than Williams, but they are basically redundant, and Johnson is 5 years older (Williams still has a chance to develop into a better player). Johnson will catch on with someone, but i don;t think it will be with us.

D-rock, Voltik, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah but you wanted him ahead of Capela int he playoffs saying he is better.....

Watch a nd learn kid before making exaggerating comments....

7. jogo

jogo Member

It's hard to say if Taylor's ready to be our second guard off the bench. That would mean he's, what, our 9th player in the rotation? He may need more seasoning. Or maybe he gets some small minutes here and there to see if he can handle it. The Rockets are probably looking for a vet with experience to man the 9th spot, unfortunately.

Qi and Onu are much less ready than Taylor. Qi surprised me-he was an overseas player that wasn't soft and I think I expected him to shy away from contact and things like that. No, he went at people (and picked up a lot of fouls) and never seemed intimidated. He was CBA Defensive Player of the Year. I know that's not a big deal but it's better than not being CBA DPOY, right? They made him shoot mostly 3's in SL and he's not ready for that (and NBA 3 point line is longer than the CBA's). I could see Qi playing in the G league and maybe getting a tiny bit of time in the league if he plays well.

I think Onu has potential but I think I'm in the minority here on that. He doesn't play outside of his abilities, is a good rebounder, and passes really well. But he's 20 years old and shows it at times. Very limited offensively at this stage. With Nene taking off nights, then backup C should get a lot of run. I don't love playing Ryan at C (and he's probably traded) so it's Onu or someone else taking up Harrell's old minutes. Like Taylor, we porbably are looking for a vet to fill in. Reed, Ezeli, Black, Withey ? I really like Reed and Withey's numbers look really good with very low minutes.

skroodup25 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From watching the Box score the last game should not be that great..... Low scoring affair.

9. basketballholic

I'll stand by everything I said. Thank you very much.

10. basketballholic

Withey on a minimum deal would be noice.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Come on man.

Onuaku play's like he's 400 pounds, he can't move on either side of the court (especially defensively). Capela was dominant defensively, look at his DPM, DRTG, DWS and block % in the playoffs,

I'll give you that Capela isn't consistent defensively during the regular season, but as a whole in the playoffs he did very well.

D-rock, skroodup25 and topfive like this.
  12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Onu doesn't ever look like he wants to be there. Appearance wise he looks like a man among boys but he sure doesn't play like it.

I also agree with Aruba77 above that Oliver, Taylor and Troy look to be the players that should be on the roster.

D-rock, skroodup25 and topfive like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

he really does come across as lethargic. And i have a suspicion that he doesn't have slow feet, but everytime i watch him he looks like his shoes are stuck in molasses.

I also feel like with the other bigs that we have, whom are very raw and developmental prospects, it doesn't make much sense to shuffle Nanu between D-League and the NBA bench this year. How does that help anyone?

Not a good fit for us right now. I think you trade the guy.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Taylor/Williams inconsistent 3PT shot's will really limit their potential in the NBA. I like what I saw from them, but I have a hard time seeing them being more the spot up rotational players.

Oliver, Qi and Hartenstein seem to have the most potential to be successful at their respective positions.

D-rock likes this.
  15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Tipjar bet. Capela will have a better NBA career than your boy Chinauanuan Onaunauanku

TdashDUB likes this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

When the most exciting thing about your game is the fact that you can make granny free throws, I'm guessing your upside is very limited. I've yet to see CO show any flashes on the basketball court. It's not that he is a liability or screwing things up, he's just there. Kind of just out there lumbering around. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe he'll just be one of those consistent guys that play to their strengths, don't really stand out while you're watching, but you look at the box score and they have a bunch of rebounds along with solid positional defense. I don't know...very underwhelmed at this point by him.

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Save you guys time. Everyone but Troy Williams sucks. D league material. Don't fall in love with these scrubs.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's now how SL or evaluating talent works

What Troy didn't wasn't that impressive. What skills did he show case? His 3pt shot is wildly inconsistent, the mechanics are so far off to the point I have a hard time believing it will every become a weapon. His ball handling isn't good, he's an okay finisher at the rim, but not particularly good. What he showed is he hustles like crazy and runs hard. He's Corey Brewer 2.0. He just was very ball dominant and drove hard. I like him, but he certainly doesn't have the most potential out of all the guys who played, I think at or close to his ceiling.

Qi, Oliver, Hartenstein on the other hand have potential to develop skills to be real difference makers.

#18 ThatBoyNick, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think Troy has the most upside. He can produce next year. The rest you named need years of coaching. I don't see it.

I wouldn't waste time caring either. I'm still bitter about the warriors getting Jordan Bell. Can anyone confirm if we would have traded up and got him, the Paul or melo deal wouldn't be likely? I'm just annoyed the Warriors out of all teams got a hold of him.

20. basketballholic

Ummmmmm, you'll have to check out what I said.

Lol, the logic. Just because I said two different players are going to be pedestrian players doesn't mean that I meant one of them is going to be good or better than the other. I've being real clear about how I feel about both these guys. I stand by what I've said.

#20 basketballholic, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017