1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summary of Deadline Trades that didn't happen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i thought about the Pistons, since he said: "This would have been kind of a franchise-altering thing for us, in terms of a direction shift", what if the Pistons offer was something like:

Drummond + KCP + Jackson for Booker + Chandler + Bledsoe

Who's he's talking about if the other team were the Magic when he said "three very good player, maybe their best three players"? Vuc, Gordon and Payton? Or Fournier? Or maybe something like?

Payton + Hezonja + Gordon for Chriss + Bender + Warren? I don't think these are the Magic best players though lol

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The longer Boston holds onto their assets, the more they DECREASE in value and arent attractive to another team anymore. I think they might have waited just ONE trade period too long to cash them in . If Boston doesnt use them this summer they might as well hold onto them, or settle for a lesser return on them. Or else whats the point of all that asset collection in the first place?

da_juice likes this.
  3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm surprised the Suns didn't try to move a PG or Chandler.

Boston probably saw a strong Raptors, and a still strong Cavs and decided to play the long game. Harford is good but , as mentioned above, a Thomas-Butler/George-Horford big three isn't enough to be a true contender this year in the East. They will be sitting pretty in 3 years tho

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I would love to find a way to pick up George even as a rental. Harden-Bev-Ego-George with Williams would be incredible. We'd have give up Capella and Ariza and a pick though

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

picks decrease in value the closer to draft day? Is that what you're saying.

Assuming all things remaining equal (ie the position of the pick remains the same), then just like money, a first round pick is worth more now than in the future, no?

I see what you mean in the sense that you might look desperate the closer to the deadline to using them approaches. But the value of a future pick is not worth more than the value of a present pick. It's because desperation works both ways. Teams desperate to improve for present reasons (like having to cash in Cousins for highest pick available) will value present picks over future picks.

And one could argue that the position of some future picks are too unpredictable such that they can never achieve their highest value until they "mature" into a more known draft slot. :D

#25 heypartner, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You're right. My mistake. I didnt mean upcoming draft picks. Simply I meant the players on the roster already drafted to package in deals, Like Jaylen Brown, etc. They can play their way out of the "potential" label the more time that goes by.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

I immediately thought Pistons. They are a total mess and could see SVG wanting to "reshuffle" the deck completely and get out from under Drummond's and Jackson's contracts.

Vivi likes this.
  8. craguin

craguin Member

Re: Suns 'blockbuster deal' that did not happen
    One of the Arizona Sports 98.7FM guys thinks it was either Chicago or Detroit:

[ArizonaSports.com - 2/24/2017] Which team did the Suns discuss that ‘franchise-altering’ trade with?
    Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro believes the team could have been the Chicago Bulls or Detroit Pistons.

With the Bulls it started because the Suns did their due diligence and called about All-Star wing Jimmy Butler, who was involved in trade rumors leading all the way up to Thursday’s deadline.

Chicago responded with a deal centering around 20-year-old Devin Booker from Phoenix’s side of things. That discussion didn’t get far.

Upon further discussions, the teams were talking about a multiple-player deal. The exact players are unknown but as McDonough mentioned, it could have involved top players from both teams.

There’s also the Pistons option. An NBA executive told Gambadoro that package could have been Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Those three would fit the blockbuster deal, too.

----- ----- -----

Portland supposedly wanted Tyson Chandler before settling for Nurkic (2/12/2017). The Suns GM hinted that they would have moved Tyson Chandler (note the use of the word 'yesterday') if he was not on board with their plan to give more minutes to the younger players going forward...

[ArizonaSports.com - 2/24/2017] Suns GM McDonough: Tucker trade opens up more minutes for younger players
    In order for that to happen, some of the veterans will have to play less, even with Tucker heading out.

A player specifically mentioned by McDonough as being accepting of the role was Tyson Chandler, who plays the most minutes among all Suns’ big men. Three of the four players behind Chandler — Alex Len, Bender and Chriss — are playing on a rookie contract.

McDonough said a specific conversation with Chandler did take place regarding a potential dip in playing time.

It’s been discussed,” McDonough said. “We want to have that discussion prior to the deadline, just in case he was not. We would understand if he wasn’t and might have caused us to make another move yesterday.

Vivi and Easy like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

@craguin thanks, i though exactly about those three Pistons players cause yeah, Stan is tired about Drummond and Jackson, while Pope is asking for a max which seems to be too much for them to pay, plus it would've been C x C, SG x SG, PG x PG...Bulls make sense too btw, something like:

Butler + Lopez + Rondo/Gibson for Booker + Chandler + Bledsoe/Tucker maybe...

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Money is worth less in the future than it is now.

I think it depends on what draft the pick is for and how the team who owns the pick is doing.

It seems to be the case that if it's next year's draft (2018) the best time to get value for the pick is the summer before (2017). This is true regardless of any knowledge (but likely some idea) about the team who owns the pick's trajectory.

If the team who owns the pick is doing pretty poorly, but not horrible, the pick might have most value at the trade deadline. So for a 2018 draft, the 2018 trade deadline would be best.

If the team who owns the pick is doing absolutely horrible, I think the draft pick has most value the summer of the actual draft. That is to say, a 2018 draft pick would have most value in the month before the actual draft.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's what I said, no?

Isn't that just another way to say that knowing the true position of the pick (it's draft slot value) is easier the closer to the draft you are. We can discuss scenarios where a future pick is worth more, and feel free to discuss the specifics of Boston, but I wasn't talking specifics. I was actually talking in general ... saying "all things remaining equal" -- meaning the position of the pick and depth of the draft.

And even then, predicting the future is risky business in both how well a team will do and how deep a draft will be. And even knowing a year in advance that a sure-thing will come out #1, the lottery itself adds too much risk to getting the #1 pick, such that top value of draft picks in such a draft won't occur until after the lottery itself.

12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

The offer for Cousins that was better than the Pelicans one and the one referred to by Vlade was via Denver. It included Mudiay and a pick. An better version was reportedly offered for George, with no commitment necessary on George's behalf. They were willing to take the risk.

In retrospect, I think the Lakers would've offfered Ingram to secure Cousins if Magic was in charge a day prior, but that didn't materialize and it was literally shifted overnight. The trade and Lakers management, this would've signaled backchannels from LA to PG...we'll get you in 2018. If you think any team changes GMs and operations literally overnight, and 3 days prior to the deadline you have to realize why.

The Celtics weren't willing to offer the pick up front, but at the end if it would've locked the deal they would've done it. They didn't want to deal really anybody for DeMarcus-- Isaiah is the big reason why. For the asking price of Butler, the Cs would've moved on that same package for George. However, Indiana's asking price was even higher. Cs wouldn't mortgage Jaylen, Amir, 17 pick for Butler. They would for Paul George, but Indiana wanted more and felt assured he'd stay with them after speaking with the owner.

At the end, this really cost the Pacers. George will leave now, they have to overpay for a superstar to keep him happy. Or, wait to see who gets the #1pick and offer George for him. That's their only way out, he won't re-sign in Indiana as is.

I'm hell bent sure that the Lakers will cozy up to lower tier players from George's agent, tank hard this season, and attempt to consolidate 2 of their 3 youngins for a legit star this off-season if not that pick too. Keep cap room in 2018 and have 1-2 stars in place(via 3 youngins & pick).