1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suit filed against Ex-Rocket Marcus Camby after death of nephew

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidio840, Jun 23, 2017.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Money grab or legitimate case?

http://abc13.com/news/ex-nba-pro-camby-sued-after-nephews-death/2136686/

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just sad all around.

saleem likes this.
  3. arjun

arjun Member

it's your child, ultimately you're more responsible than anyone else. to think lawsuit so soon after your child's death against a family member....especially something like "wrongful death"....definitely money grab. and sad, very sad.

JeffB, Tfor3, cbs1507 and 2 others like this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Disgusting money grab.

KDavis and Tfor3 like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Sad... and unfortunately indicative of today's society.... I've suffered a loss and it can't be my fault - so someone else must be to blame... no self accountability...

"It also states Camby was aware of his nephew's "significant limitations" and failed to supervise the child."... pretty sure the parents knew too... and theyre responsible for supervising their kid...

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This is just tragic. Can't comprehend family attacking one another over such a tragic incident

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Legit case. Studying for the bar exam right now..would fall under the attractive nuisance doctrine if the kid was a trespasser, but since it's family the kid is a licensee and Camby had an affirmative duty to make safe any latent defects that he was aware of.

Now from a morality standpoint, yeah it seems like they could work this out amongst themselves

Jontro, BigShasta and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  9. AFS

AFS Member

Based on the article, seems like a money grab. But I feel like there's gotta be more to this than what we're getting in the article. Anyone wanna pull the Complaint?

10. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Sad. Guess the next family get together will be wierd. Suing family?

11. jogo

jogo Member

That's a lot of shade for something we don't know much about. It's possible the kid had been to the Camby's house many times to swim and nothing had ever happened. Then should that parent have not let him visit again?

It does seem that Camby is at fault, though we don't really know any details about what happened. Having a fence around your pool is 100% the responsibility of the pool owner. I've known people that had something similar happen to them but the child was rescued. They put in a fence.

My sister has a pool. My daughter uses a flotation device when in the pool. I trust my sister and would let my daughter go swim there under my sister's care. If something occurs when I'm not there that's my fault? That's crazy. That's like saying if my kid gets hurt at school it's my fault because I let her go that school.

It's hard to know how a parent will react to the loss of a child. It's literally the worst thing that can happen to a person.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Absolutely. You can't monitor your own child 24/7. There absolutely has to be liability for those watching children, especially autistic children

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Homeowner's insurance will deal with this. In addition, Camby likely has umbrella policies.

Still, sad all around.

Jontro likes this.
  14. kjayp

Article says it happened "during a family visit of the property"... I take that as meaning the family (incl parents) were there.... If this happened while Marcus was babysitting - sure - his fault... but thats not my read on whats being stated... If you bring your kid to my house, it's with the assumption that you're gonna control and be mindful of your kid...

Legal system is so jacked anyway... someone can break into your house, get injured and sue you... things have really gone off the rails...

Tfor3 and FLASH21 like this.
  15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Camby might have even given the blessing to his relative to sue him to get the insurance money. If he has a big umbrella policy the excess carrier will probably not pay the limits, and that would suggest why it wasn't settled pre-litigation.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Tragic story of a young man's death.

I have questions, before I pass criticism. Where were the parents? Why was the kid so near the pond if he was autistic? Who leaves kids unsupervised regardless of age, disease, or whatever the excuse...

My kids are 7 & 3 and completely healthy. Would I leave either of them at a pool/beach/pond/river unattended? F**K no! Someone should have been on kid duty, this type of stuff is inexcusable and why I have trouble letting other parents leave their kids in our swimming pool without them being around. If something happens to YOUR kid I'M responsible. I don't want this to ever be the outcome.

kjayp likes this.
  17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Wouldn't that be considered insurance fraud? Or no?

18. kjayp

Imo... Still a money grab... and unfortunately people would say 'oh their going to get paid by the insurance company - cool, that's ok then'.... and then b**** about their premiums.... Juries love to give big awards to sympathetic plaintiffs... figurin the money is coming from a big company... without realizing we all pay these costs through higher premiums.... defending against more frivolous lawsuits looking for a big payout based on the precedence.....
    Like the gal that got a million bucks for spilling hot coffee in her lap....

19. kjayp

not fraud... really happened...

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Not disagreeing about frivolous lawsuits but the McDonald's coffee case is an exception. Did you see pictures of her thighs after the incident? Brutal

JoeBarelyCares and kjayp like this.