1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Study: Health Buzz: Repetitive On-Field Hits Linked to Brain Damage

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sajan, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

A new study adds to evidence that each of those tackles on the football field and checks on the ice rink may lead to something more. Boston University researchers analyzed the brains of 85 donors, most of whom were professional athletes who had experienced repetitive mild traumatic brain injury. Sixty-eight of the brains showed evidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is associated with aggression and depression and, as it advances, can lead to dementia, abnormalities in gait and speech, and parkinsonism. Of the 68 brains that showed evidence of the disease, 50 once belonged to football players, including 33 who played in the National Football League.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...re-evidence-links-concussions-to-brain-damage

Sad stuff.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not at all surprising...wonder where this leaves us going forward in contact sports.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I don't think anything will really change. There is an increased emphasis on teaching proper tackling techniques from a young age. Kids were told to lead with the helmet for decades. That has hopefully changed.

Also, I suppose that helmets will be getting better and better over time.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Alter the sport and/or equipment to the point where hitting someone with your head is not only less likely, but also less beneficial.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Football is going to be two hand touch in the future

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no helmets, i'm serious

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I believe technology will advance and you will have better equipment in the future that will absorb a lot more of the impact energy, current equipment are much better than the junk they used in the 1800s.

8. Summer Song Giver

I don't know what kind of equipment is going to combat an object in motion stays in motion. When object A, the player, is traveling 20 mph into object B, another player, also going 20 mph; and they collide objects C and D, their brains, keep sloshing around in the head goo until they hit objects E and F, the inner cranial wall in a violent manner.

What kind of helmet is going to bring obejects C and D, their brains, to a gradual enough stop to eliminate or minimize truama and still be practical for the players? The helmets can only get so big and soft before it's justs 22 guys on a field dragging their heads along in the dirt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gzIxx03ldOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If let's say they are both wearing a foot thick foam helmet, would the impact be as much as it is with the current helmet? I would think not. The technology would be to translate the properties of a foot thick foam into shape and size of today's helmet.