1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Students Suspended for Going to Backstreet Boys Concert

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, May 27, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Did anyone hear about this? I mean, they suck, but GEEZ, is it worth this?

May 26, 2000, 9:53PM
    Houston Chronicle

Student suspended over concert set to graduate

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Jason Trejo, one of four students suspended from a private Christian school earlier this year for attending a Backstreet Boys concert, will graduate today.

Trejo transferred to a public school after the suspension from Sunnybrook Christian Academy, but was short the credits he needed to graduate this year.

Trejo took some night classes and passed the Texas Assessment of Academic Skills test to catch up with his classmates.

Trejo and three other Sunnybrook students were suspended in March because they broke a school rule barring "involvement with inappropriate music," school administrator Trudie Perez has said.

The Backstreet Boys, a band that's popular with teen-age girls, played to a packed Alamodome crowd. Once school officials confirmed some students had attended, they gave them one-day suspensions.

Trejo's mother complained about the music policy and refused to sign a statement saying she agrees with it and other school rules. She later withdrew him from the school.

The Christian school forbids "involvement" with music groups such as the Backstreet Boys because of some song lyrics, Perez said.

"They have some good music, but some of the music, I have been told, has certain sexual references," Perez said. She cited the band's song lyrics, "Are you sexual?" and "I want to touch your body all night."

"That's not the message that we want to convey to our young people," Perez has said. "We send the message of sexual abstinence."

The school has 315 students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

That's a case of people carrying things too far.

A one day suspension isn't that big a deal. But, I don't see why the school would want to stick their noses into a students personal life. I wonder if kids that are Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, or Athiest are even allowed to attend this school?

It looks like the mother voluntarily withdrew her son from the school, which messed up his graduation.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Atheists are allowed to attend private schools. I am an atheist and I go to a private school.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

My little tid bit here ...

1) If my kid ever went to a BSB, Nsyn'c, or Hansen any other concert like that, they'd definately be grounded ....

on a more serious note:

2) Private schools are just that ... PRIVATE! They have their own rules and regulations, and if they don't like it, then can leave! If they broke a certain rule, then they are guilty. Now im not saying I necessarily agree with this call.

------------------

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It reminds me of my private school. We found out that one of our teachers was "ordered" by the school to follow a bunch of kids on a Saturday night because the teachers had heard of a big party. The teacher ended up getting a flat tire way out in the middle of nowhere, never found the party (which there was!) and had to walk a mile and a half in near pitch black before she found a house to call for help.

I have no problems with people enforcing rules at school. For instance, if they are not allowed to listen to music at school or wear t-shirts, etc., that is just fine. But, to invade the private lives of children and their families is going over the line.

What bugs me the most is the teacher said that she had heard about the lyrics of the BSBoys. She didn't even know for sure!

BTW: If my kid wanted to see the Backstreet Boys, I'd let him - then I'd commit him.

Just kidding. [​IMG]

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited May 27, 2000).]

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff:

You summed it up pretty well. It is a private school and they have rules, but that does not mean that those rules should carry over into the kid's lives at home. What if a kid has parents who like Black Sabbath or something, do they get in trouble?

Schools are getting rediculous. Don't forget that public school in Florida that suspended a kid for wearing a Pepsi shirt on "Coke Day" (for those that do not know, Coke Day was when a bunch of execurives and reps from Coke came to the school and everyone had to wear Coke t-shirts - i think it was because Coke was the soft drink sponsor of the school).

That is why my wife and I are going to move into the mountains and start our own school to teach our kids and any others real skills. OK, I am kidding, but I am still dreading the time when we have kids and have to put them into the school system.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

7. JCBlazersGirl33

I think it depends on every individual kid regarding what music they should be allowed to listen to. Some parents make too big a deal. I honestly don't take lyrics in songs literally, and none of my other friends do either. I wonder what would happen to me if i went to that school and got caught going to an Eminem and Dr. Dre concert. [​IMG]

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My guess is you would be suspended. But that's just a hunch.

(Do I win?)

------------------
    ?

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That's what home schooling is for. [​IMG]

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

10. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

DEANBCURTIS,

I was only talking about this particular school Jeff was initially talking about. I attended Baptist, Lutheran, Baptist, and then Catholic schools between K - 8. I consider my beliefs to be most like those of the Assembly of God church, but I'm not a card carrying member.

I agree with Jeff that a school, private or not, should not have rules that apply to a child's private life. Like rimbaud said what if the kid had listen to Aerosmith or something because his parents were listening to it? Would he get suspended for that?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

11. JCBlazersGirl33

No Doc, I'd probably be expelled come to think of it.

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Suspended? They should have been executed.

The Backdoor Boys are just that much of a menace to society, the rule of law, our constitutional republic, and the human race.

DOWN WITH BUBBLEGUM POP MUSIC! UP WITH BOB SCHNEIDER!

13. dc sports

dc sports Member

That's ridiculous.

1) The school shouldn't be that involved with the personal lives of the students. The parents pay the school to provide their child with a good education, and to provide a wholesome environment for them at school. Deciding which concerts a child can go to away from school crosses over the line into parenting. Since the child's parent's approved, I don't see where the school had any right to get involved.

2) Suspension! Come on! That's a serious mark on the student's record for something so silly. If the school was truly concerned that the music was harmful or inappropriate, they should talk to the child. Council him. Maybe some after school detention. But suspension?

3) "Offensive" is such an ambiguous term. Who defines it? I could see a private school being concerned with some music - because of language, lyrics, behavior, etc. I don't see the Backstreet Boys crossing the line on any standard. Marilyn Manson yes, but The Backsteet Boys are about as inoffensive as bands come.

The Backstreet Boys, Brittany Spears, Christina Agulara (sp?) are part of a current trend of performers with wholesome images that a lot of parents encourage their kids to listen to. They preach anti-drugs, pro-school, etc. Of all the groups out there, they are one of the least offensive.

(Note - by 'offensive' I mean morally, not musically!)

------------------
    Stay Cool...

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The school is private and will set the rules they want. I think the mother handled the situation just right. She sent her kid to a good Christian school, discovered they had a policy she found distasteful and voted with her wallet by pulling the kid out. Moreover, with the story in the paper, other parents who find the policy bad, will think twice about sending their kids. The school is taking a chance with this policy, but I admire their determination to legislate their beliefs in their body. Finally, it could have been (or yet be) worse: I think a student/parent would have a credible lawsuit in a case like that. LHutz, what do you think?

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Suspended? Nah, shouldn't have happened.

They should have been tarred and feathered, beaten and then burned at the stake for going to a WackStreet Boys concert!!

What is wrong with kids these days??

Blazers Babe, you like Eminen and Dr. Dre?

You can't be all that bad!

[​IMG]

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

16. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I am not a lawyer but I do attend a private High School and I am an editor on the Newspaper staff. We have had some issues on censorship in our paper. So I have done some research regarding the rights of private school students and here are a couple of main points:

~You cannot sue a private school because it is part of the stuff that you sign when you decide to go there. (you can however sue public schools)

~Private schools can punnish you for thinks you do outside of school whether they relate to the school or not. I have read a lot of literature on the issue of off-campus newspapers and the rule there is that public schools cannot punnish you but private schools can. There is a great article on the Student Press Law Center's Website (www.splc.org) that talks about freedom of the press at private schools but it also talks about other rights of private school students a little bit. The address is: http://www.splc.org/resources/private.school/private.html

Moral of this story is go to public school because you CAN sue them.

------------------
    ~John~
    If you make it idiot proof, they will make a better idiot.
    Houston NHL

[This message has been edited by Johny Rocket (edited June 01, 2000).]