1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strickland to Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Mar 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ScreamingRocketJet

Seems like he will be bought out and Portland will get him for the rest of the season...

He already knows that team, so he could really do some good things their. Kind of ironic...as he was traded to bring in Stoudamire, and now may be back because Mighty Mouse hasn't been the guy they'd hoped he'd be.

Strickland could be a HUGE sleeper IMO...he may be the piece that pushes them over the top.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ScreamingRocketJet (edited March 01, 2001).]

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

This makes no sense to me...

Stoudamire is better than Strickland at this point...

Anthony is the perfect compliment to Stoudamire in that he plays tough D...

Not sure how Strickland fits in...

Por doesn't need this guy to ruin their questionable chemistry...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

3. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Looks like Washingtion is positioning itself for a summertime FA run. Webber? - Probably not as I don't think Washington would be getting him his ring anytime soon. But the price for 2nd tier FAs has gone up with Chicago and Washington (and us) with cash. Definately a major rebuilding for Washington with JH and RS gone.

------------------

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Art, I don't think Washington will get under the cap this offseason, despite shipping out Howard and Strickland. The '02 offseason, though, they should be well under.

I hope Strickland does not go to Portland. It'd be yet another talent going from East to West. The Washington Post did not include the Knicks as a possible destination, but I think NY should definitely consider it.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

kidrock,
    You can bank on Strickland jumping into the backup role behind Stoudamire, and he will close games. Anthony is a good defender, but this gives Portland a bonafide scorer and playmaker at the backup PG slot, and they won't miss a beat.

Just when you thought they could get no deeper!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited March 01, 2001).]

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I heard on 610 a little while ago that he is likely headed to the Heat.

------------------

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hey we should pick him up for this season. Maybe he can help us make the playoffs with his veteran leadership. [​IMG]

Seriously, if this guy has his head on straight he can straight up DESTROY!

------------------

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Remember, this is a guy who lost his job to Chris Whitney, who is doing a better job than Strickland ever did with the Wiz.

I remember back when he was good. That Drexler-Strickland backcourt for the Blazers puts backcourt 2000 (Kidd-Hardaway) to shame.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Leaving is a must. He was being asked to visit a therapist weekly. No kidding, but he refused. He's a great talent, but something went wrong late last year. He's been late to practice and much much more. Rumors will always swirl about the mar1juana use, but I think something else is wrong with him. He changed sometime last season and was never able to get it back together again. Maybe he can figure it out elsewhere. Major head case at this point, but much more talent than Stoudamire if you ask me.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

Strickland was traded by Portland so that they could get Wallace. They replaced him with Kenny anderson and didn't get stoudamire for about a year and a half.
    And now that the knicks have mark jackson and a nice backup in charlie ward, there is no need for them to sign strickland.
    He would definitely be a good pickup for miami, thought because hardaway isn't as dependable as he used to be.

------------------

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Question:

If a player gets bought out, does the remainder of his contract still count against the cap?

------------------

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

No, it is my understanding that the buyout is an agreement in which the player agrees to the buyout (which is rare, but in this case, Strick has something to gain by signing with a contender and getting out of Wash.), and the team pays the agreed amount in a lump sum, thus the contract is voided so to speak, and will not count against the cap. I am not sure if it counts the remainder of the season and is off the books for next year.

Anyone know when exactly the salary is off Wash.'s books?

------------------

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Rod Strickland had the potential to be the best post-Magic point guard in the NBA. He just never was able to realize all of his considerable talent(draws comparisons to Derrick Coleman). He was still a very good point guard, but not as good as he could have been.

Then Rod caught Clipperitis and it went downhill from there. On a winning team with a chance for the playoffs, he might capture a spark of what he once was.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited March 01, 2001).]

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

wasn't maloney bought out of his contract?? How come he still counts against our cap?

------------------

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I thought we released Maloney.

------------------

16. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Member

I just think Strickland was very unhappy on the team he was on and started to not care about the game. I think Strickland could still excel on a quality team.

I think a good fit for Strickland would be Toronto, but I'm not sure if they have cap room for him.

------------------
    Houston Astros - 2001 World Series Champions

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It was next year's salary that was bought out. So, for the time being, Strickland will count against Washington's cap until this season's end, though it doesn't really matter.

I do believe that next year, he'll only count $2.5 million against the Wizard's cap. Aelliott?

As for Maloney, I think this is a different situation because a buyout was written into Strickland's contract and I don't know if Maloney had a similar clause. I have the feeling the buyout of Maloney was more to cut Les' losses than to save cap space though it may have had an effect there too. But, we're talking about a 1 year buyout on Strickland vs. a 6 year or so buyout of Maloney.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's a link.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/538025.asp?bt=prgy

Strickland headed for Lakers?

Ex-Wizards guard could end up in L.A. after clearing waivers

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON, March 1 — Rod Strickland could end up with the Los Angeles Lakers, who are one of “six or seven” playoff teams interested in signing the point guard after he clears waivers, agent David Falk said Thursday.

THE WIZARDS DUMPED Strickland, buying out the final year of his contract for half price — $2.5 million. Strickland took the hit so he can sign with another team and be eligible for this season’s playoffs.

WashPost: Wizards make wise moves

If the Wizards had cut Strickland after midnight Thursday, he would have been ineligible for the postseason.
    “Based on the talks that went on prior to the trade deadline, we know there are several teams interested,” Falk said. “They can acquire a $10-million asset for a couple million dollars.”
    Falk said the Lakers were one of the interested teams, but he refused to identify any others. Strickland will not clear waivers until Monday.
    “Rod only wants to go to a playoff team,” Falk said.

Among the likely playoff teams who could sign Strickland for the $2.25 salary cap exception are Portland, Indiana, Charlotte, New York and Philadelphia.
    The Lakers could only offer the $1.2 million exception, and the Miami Heat, who reportedly discussed trading for Strickland, do not have any salary cap space or exceptions and could only sign Strickland to a prorated portion of the minimum salary of $1 million.
    Strickland is not interested in playing for the Knicks, Falk said, because they recently acquired a new starting point guard in Mark Jackson.
    “I think we feel good about where the team is. What you see now is what you get,” Knicks general manager Scott Layden said.
    When Strickland re-signed with the Wizards two years ago, Falk said he had “changed his lifestyle.”
    Instead, Strickland was the same old Rod, whose behavior reached the point where the Wizards felt most comfortable just getting rid of him. Washington will pay Strickland the remainder of his $10 million salary for this season — even if Strickland signs with another team.
    The Wizards had a $5 million buyout option for next season, and Strickland agreed to settle for half that amount.
    “It probably was the best thing for him,” Wizards guard Mitch Richmond said. “Now he can pick and choose where he really wants to go. He has that opportunity. That’s important at this time and at this stage of his career.”
    For the Wizards, Strickland’s release was the second stage of an effort to get rid of three veterans whose huge salaries restricted the team’s ability to pursue free agents. Juwan Howard was traded to Dallas last week as the team aims for cap solvency by summer 2002.
    “This is another step for us in preparing the Wizards franchise for the future,” president of basketball operations Michael Jordan said. “This move will give us more salary cap flexibility in the future.”
    Richmond, who could be bought out for $10 million at the end of this season, realizes he is next.
    “Oh, I’m coming up. I see what’s going on,” said Richmond, who was called the “Last of the Mohicans” by teammate Laron Profit at Thursday’s practice. “But my main thing is to try and stay focused and just keep going.”
    Strickland had a troubled five years in Washington. He was regularly late for practices and games, ate a poor diet, was arrested for drunken driving three times and was suspended one game earlier this season when he missed a team flight to Miami. He was acquitted of one drunken driving charge, but has a trial on his latest arrest scheduled for next month.
    Strickland has played only four games since late December, citing shoulder and hamstring injuries.
    Advertisement

This was the type of behavior Falk promised would go away when Strickland signed a four-year, $40 million deal before the 1999 lockout season. Asked if he plans a different marketing tack this time as he shops Strickland to various teams, Falk said: “I think people know Rod’s talent. I don’t anticipate any problems.”
    Jordan tried to trade Strickland last week, but said teams were “leery” of the 34-year-old point guard.
    Strickland was acquired from Portland with Harvey Grant in 1996 in exchange for Rasheed Wallace and Mitchell Butler. He had a superb season in 1997-98, averaging 17.8 points and 10.5 assists, but his production has declined every year since.

------------------

19. ScreamingRocketJet

Seems to be that he is going to Portland. He has rung Stoudamire to get his 'okay' etc...so it seems likely that's his destination.

This is a great signing for them. Gives them more size in the backcourt AND means that they could trade Stoudamire next off season. His value may be down, but he'd still get them something decent.

They have a lot of movable parts if they want to trade further in the off season. If Wallace can't control himself in the playoffs again...I really wouldn't be surprised if they offered Wallace for Webber and I'm sure Sacramento would take that.

------------------

20. Rim Check

Rim Check Member

Here is Oregonlive.com story regarding Rod.

Strickland checks out the climate in Portland
    Friday, March 2, 2001
    -----------------------------------
    By Jim Beseda of The Oregonian staff

Amid speculation that Rod Strickland is on the verge of returning to the Trail Blazers, team officials can't and won't comment.

But at least one person believes it's a possibility: Rod Strickland.

Strickland, who was waived by the Washington Wizards on Thursday and is expected to clear waivers and become a free agent on Monday, called Blazers point guard Damon Stoudamire and asked how Stoudamire would react if Strickland were to rejoin the Blazers.

Stoudamire said he would welcome his friend.

"If he comes here, man, that would be nice," Stoudamire said before Thursday's 94-81 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers at the Rose Garden. "He's a heck of a ball player. You can't say anything bad on the court about Rod."

The Wizards bought out the final year of Strickland's contract for $2.5 million but did it before the close of business on Thursday, making Strickland eligible for another team's playoff roster.

Blazers president Bob Whitsitt and coach Mike Dunleavy declined to talk about the team's interest in Strickland, waiting to see if any team with room under its salary cap claims the 12-year veteran and agrees to pay the balance of his contract. The only team with the cap space to claim Strickland is the Chicago Bulls, who apparently have no interest.

Once Strickland, 34, clears the 48-hour waiver period, he can sign with any team. Charlotte, Indiana, Miami, Philadelphia and the Los Angeles Lakers also are reported to be interested in Strickland, but several league sources have said the Blazers are the front-runners.

"When opportunities present themselves, we look at them," Whitsitt said. "If they're things we think make sense, we sit down, Mike and I; we talk about it and we figure it out. But generally speaking, right now we're feeling pretty good."

Said Dunleavy: "It's all speculation. I don't think anybody can do anything for some time. I don't know. Bob comes to me if he's got something that he knows he can do and then we discuss it. Otherwise, I don't have the time to do the mental math that it takes to get through it all."

The Blazers have a full complement of 15 players, with 12 on the active roster and three on the injured list. So they would have to cut a player to add Strickland.

"I'm not even going to talk about our roster and adding somebody else," Dunleavy said. "That's not even worth me analyzing at this point."

On the plus side, the addition of the 6-foot-3 Strickland would add size to the backcourt and give the Blazers a proven veteran who has played in 44 playoff games. Of course, Strickland probably would take playing time away from Stoudamire and Greg Anthony, but Stoudamire said he wouldn't mind.

"If he were to come, there would be a logjam, but maybe that would be something that would help us out," Stoudamire said. "The way I look at it, we've got 23 games to go after tonight, so let's just go on ahead and see what happens, because nobody is promised to be here next year anyway if we don't win it this season.

"I don't have a problem with Rod. I know if he comes here we will be fine, and that's that. There's no rift between me and Rod and there won't be if he does come."

There are those in the Blazers locker room who fear that adding a player this late into the season could disrupt team chemistry. But there are others who think it won't hurt to have more options.

Strickland spent a troubled five seasons in Washington. He was regularly late for practices and games, ate a poor diet, was arrested for drunken driving three times and was suspended one game this season when he missed a team flight to Miami. He was acquitted of one drunken driving charge, but faces an April court date stemming from a Jan. 7 arrest.

In 33 games for the Wizards, Strickland averaged 12.2 points, 7.0 assists and 30.9 minutes, but played in just four games since Dec. 28 because of shoulder and hamstring injuries.

Strickland has played for four teams, including New York, San Antonio and Blazers. He played four seasons with Portland from 1992 to 1996 and averaged a career-high 18.9 points during the 1994-95 season.

"Rod can do a lot of things as a point guard," Blazers guard Steve Smith said. "He plays big, and he's a terrific player --a guy who I think has been underrated throughout his whole career."

------------------