1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Strategic Advantages of Acquiring Paul Millsap Mid-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The debate for which power forward to acquire in the off-season has been discussed numerous times before, but getting one mid-season is absolutely the best course of action. Paul Millsap is better than LaMarcus Aldridge by almost every advanced statistic (comparison below). Paul Millsap, in my opinion, is the most logical choice and he is by far the best fit, most attainable, and the most tradable.

Advantages of a mid-season trade:

1) Rockets can sign and trade Millsap if needed after the season. This is the most important fact that gets left out. If the Lakers can’t get far in the playoffs or if Kevin Love just can’t stand Khan anymore, we can package Asik + Millsap + other assets to get this done.

2) This also gives us a better chance to retain Parsons, which I think is crucial for us to contend. Parsons is worth $8-10 million at least on the open market, so we can spend $7-8 million more on elite talent, which is the difference between a Howard/Love and Millsap.

3) Rockets pay the least amount for an upgrade, since a player’s value diminishes the most right before trade deadline if the player cannot be re-signed by original team

4) Allows a trial period to assess fit without commitment, and gives us a better chance to sign him if it works out

5) Does not affect cap room going forward if Millsap is not re-signed

Why Millsap over Aldridge?

1) Paul Millsap is better than Lamarcus Aldridge by almost every advanced statistic.

Paul Millsap (Career; This Season)
    True shooting % - 56.4; 54.6
    Effective field goal % - 52.1; 49.4
    Total rebound % - 20.1; 19.6
    Ast % - 10.3; 15.1
    Stl % - 2.1; 2.1
    Blk % - 2.8; 2.2
    Off rating – 113; 113
    Def rating – 104; 105
    Win shares per 48 min – 0.156; 0.162

Lamarcus Aldridge (Career; This Season)
    True shooting % - 53.6; 51.4
    Effective field goal % - 49.4; 46.6
    Total rebound % - 13.1; 13
    Ast % - 9.7; 12.4
    Stl % - 1.3; 1.4
    Blk % - 2.3; 2.7
    Off rating – 112; 106
    Def rating – 107; 106
    Win shares per 48 min – 0.144; 0.117

2) Millsap is “easily” attainable, while Aldridge is not on the market. Utah has Favors, Kanter, and Jefferson, so the most likely to not re-sign is Millsap, so he comes at a premium discount before the trade deadline.

3) Millsap is a better fit. The advanced stats don’t lie. Millsap is better at spreading the floor and passing, which is a must for this offense. He also can set a better pick, has higher basketball IQ, and does things that don’t show up on stats.

Other advantages of Millsap:

1) Millsap allows us to keep our options open regarding future cap space. Out of all the potential upgrades at PF, Millsap may be the only one willing to sign for a 2 year contract (of course at premium salary). Contracts of both Lin and Asik will end 2 years after this summer. By giving Millsap a premium 2 year contract, we set ourselves up for maximum cap room for off-season in 2015. Harden will only be 25 with still 3 years left on his contract.

2) Millsap has the Harden effect. Much like Harden in OKC, Millsap is not playing enough minutes and is negatively affected by his own players. Utah’s offense goes through Jefferson on the low post, so Millsap is getting less touches and his usage on offense is limited. Favors also is playing lights out and he’s the future for the Jazz; again, Millsap gets the shaft. This presents a great buy low opportunity for the Rockets.

Conclusion

Paul Millsap is the absolutely best option for the Rockets at the power forward position. He fits our offensive scheme and is underappreciated by most fans. Millsap is also the most attainable player for a significant upgrade and his situation presents a great buy low opportunity. If the Rockets trade for Millsap during the season, it enhances our position by giving us many more options in the future.

10 people like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Morey said we can't be picky when looking for a 2nd star.

I'm all for Millsap, but I wonder if the small ball style the Rockets are using would affect the decision to acquire him.

3. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I haven't watched many Jazz games....would he fit in to our run and gun offense at all? or would we have to change tempo?

4. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

OP - How do we get him - provide your trade scenario.

5. alethios

alethios Member

He's good, but he's not the 2nd star we need. He get's manhandled by the taller, more athletic 4s out there. I'm not saying he wouldn't be an improvement but on the level of what we really need at that position. I'd just as soon have Landry back.

6. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I think we have around $7-9 million in cap space, so we can absorb a large chuck of his salary without giving them equal salary in return. The Jazz will need a back up power forward, but they are more looking for wings. One trade I think we can do is giving them Patterson + Morris for Millsap. Patterson can back up Favors and Morris can slide to the 3. As you have seen with the Rockets, Patterson can also play the 5 for limited minutes, so it's a win-win situation for both teams.

7. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

for a minute , I thought you were speaking of cole aldridge

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Shot creation?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Im the GM I wait till the Summer to see what happens here. There are ALOT of free agents this Summer, and guys like Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, etc. could make teams with cap space overspend to get them. Millsap is a guy who could be had on a favorable contract this Summer for the Rockets fairly easily.

Im not going to rule out a trade for him or any other RENTAL this winter, but I can tell you now that Utah is going to want too much for Millsap. Even if they can get a few assets back in a S&T this Summer it will be peanuts in comparison to what they had to give up to Utah this Winter.

10. Convictedstupid

We need a stretch 4 IMO. Kevin Love is the obvious choice but that's unlikely. I don't believe Ryan Anderson will be traded either even though I think he would fit like a glove.

Stay patient and develop the core we have until Love is on the move or another solid option opens up. Milsap, Aldridge, and Smith aren't the greatest options at the 4 IMO.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

Why would they want his salary absorbed if his contract is expiring? That has minimal advantage for them.

I also serious doubt they're pumped up about getting Morris and Patterson. Best chance to get him is in free agency me thinks...and I'm not even sure he's the right option.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's Cole Aldrich, so you're apparently not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'd prefer signing Millsap in FA, but if the Jazz want to move forward with youth and are looking to dump him cheap I could see Daryl looking at him.

PPat + Douglas + Morris is the farthest I'd go though.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Put Aldridge next to Al Jefferson and then see how he performs... I imagine he'd be a scoring machine. I actually am not a fan of acquiring either player (contracts or future contracts considered) as part of a long-term title contention strategy.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Makes sense. I like Millsap. Whether you want to trade for him depends on the price.

Here is my other question: How much would it take to re-sign him?

16. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I often hear this response, but I have already provided advanced stats showing that Millsap > Aldridge, which is the 2nd star many people want. Also, in my original post, I stated how getting Millsap IMPROVES ours chances our landing a 2nd star by packaging him and Asik.

Everybody gets manhandled by elite 4s out there, but we have Asik to help out. His efficiency on offense balance this out. As you can see

Landry is only an offensive player, and not in the same league as Millsap. Landry's total reb% 12.2, ast% 5.2, stl% 1.0, blk% 1.5, is horrible compared to Millsap's at 20.1, 10.3, 2.1, and 2.8 respectively.

Utah was thinking about playing Millsap at the 3 before, so yes, he can definitely fit in with an uptempo team. He won't be playing 3 for us, but he is the ideal 4 IMO.

17. bongman

bongman Member

He seems to fit the Morey/Presti type players. Wingspan == 7' 1.5" for a 6'7" guy.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Do we need all acquisitions to fit into our current style? I think they can add something that we're currently lacking. I think Milsap would add an option to our halfcourt sets. And I don't think he's any slower than Patterson.

19. arjun

arjun Member

You can provide stats...but Aldridge is the better player.

With the game on the line..or even in the half court, you can give Aldridge the ball in the post and say..hey..get us some points. It gives us a long and reliable post up player who can also hit the midrange shot off of lin and harden.

Asik/Aldridge/Parsons..is a very looong front line. I think it would improve our halfcourt defense and offense significantly, especially come playoff time when the game slows down.

1 person likes this.
  20. thekad

thekad Member

I wouldn't give up anything decent for him seeing as how he's expiring and will just leave in the summer if he finds a better deal than a two year contract. And if the Rockets aren't giving up anything of value, Utah will find a better deal. I can't see this working.