1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone Temple Pilots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jturbofuel, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They have a new singer his name his Jeff Gutt and this is the first single with him at the mic

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He sounded really great with the old stone temple pilots songs they sang last night. He even dyed his hair blonde to look like Weiland back in '92. This new song sounds like Talk Show. That was STP with the lead singer from 10 inch men, Dean Coutts.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  5. Roscoe Arbuckle

This was one of my biggest hits when I was sidelining as a Country Singer.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Never been a bit STP fan but I thought that new song was pretty good.....

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if you told me that was an STP song with weiland id believe it. they were one of those bands where i never owned their albums, but i liked most of the songs i did hear. this one is pretty good...especially by modern rock standards.

im always puzzled by bands who keep the name after the main person dies/leaves. why not just start a new band with a different name? from a marketing perspective i get it, but it seems like a double edged sword. you will never get out of weilands shadow. that singer will always be compared to him. interviews will always bring him up. fans that come to shows will only want to hear the old songs. a new band name allows them to wipe the slate clean and do something new. when bands do this it just seems like they are scared to start over and/or lose the revenue stream that an STP generates.

would you rather be joy division transitioning to new order or sublime transitioning to sublime with rome? or INXS?

to me, the cool move would be to say that STP is no more. this is a totally new project with all new material. we might play 2 or 3 STP songs at our shows, but the focus is on moving ahead and continuing to create new music. we dont want to live in the past and be a nostalgia act.

#7 jo mama, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    GRENDEL likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

As an original fan... Not sure on this yet.. Let's see the rest. So far not liking this new song, I remember when AIC relaunched with new singer, it seemed that it took them a long time to put new stuff out, the final split from Weiland/stp and then his passing seem too close for new stuff already to be released.. But looking at time-line, wow... Already coming up on 4 years since firing and almost 2 on passing.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did not know they were still making music

Rocket River

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You probably forgot, but Weiland isn't even the only STP singer to have died recently. That other dude from that other band (whatever his name was and whatever his original band was = not my cup of tea) was their singer. His name was something like Benny and his band was something comparable to like Papa Roach. I def aiynnn't Googlin.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Good point, I forgot about him being in there too for awhile.

13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

meh, can't judge based on just this one song. I'll give them one more shot, but this song is just....meh

reminds me of something that would've been on Tiny Music

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Bruh, you ain’t clicking and you don’t know Chester Bennington Fromm linkin Park! What is it ya say ya do here?

STP was so iconic, this just doesn’t stack up.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just can't. Seeing them, Blind Melon, Sublime, Alice In Chains still touring when it was the lead singer that made their sound is just not for me.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, different era of music. Linkin Park is not my thing. Like at all.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I don't get it either. Other than I guess Genesis, Van Hagar and AC/DC when I was younger, has there ever been a good band that replaced its lead singer and was still good?

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Queen.

Well, Queen with Freddie was great. Queen with Adam Lambert is near great.

19. BleedsRocketRed

Not bad, not bad at all and I am a OG fan of theirs from the beginning. Very similar styles to Scott

20. Buck Turgidson

Oh hell no. There is no Queen without Freddie. That's like Zeppelin without Plant or The Jackson 5 without Michael.