1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very nice, yeah I wasn't asking like amount/price/order size, just which ones you liked for oil. Great moves, and agree on hedging just in case, then can always take some profits/move out position dates during even small shifts to continue trend as you see fit.

And don't worry about posting exact spots to prove anything here, you're definitely not obligated.

Depending how quick this keeps going, could roll some returns into other markets that will still get hit/even property/different oil plays, Obviously entirely up to you, and I hope you make a ton.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Why are people still buying DIS?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only thing I can think of is a “worst is in” mentality and the fact China is opening up Shanghai Disney again next week, albeit in limited capacity. Nothing else I know of. Lot of institutional ownership and not much short interest (as of last month, anyway).

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm not sure, it's pretty interesting to see. I'd think entry would be way later for a better long-term position unless people are just riding waves/hoping this is the dip, but I don't think this is good atm either..

#9844 CCity Zero, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  5. adoo

adoo Member

i try not to watch mad money. Cramer, tho knowledgeable, makes it sound so easy. i know it ain't easy
    just my wild guess,

the bad news had already been factored in, as evidenced by the peak-to-trove decline to below 90

the success of ESPN's documentary "the last dance", as well the NFL draft, suggests that the decline may have been too steep

also, ABC's week-day news w David Muir has increased its lead as the most watched network news program​

#9845 adoo, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  6. thegary

I got out of BYND too early, damn...

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

what is CINF doing...go back up you POS! lol
    -17% since I bought it.

RTX -10% for me. earnings next week.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had been watching it for years, not necessarily to buy what he says, but it just gives me exposure to trends and stocks making buzz. I generally only watch Fast Money and Mad Money because that's all I really have time for after I get home from work. I gave up on most Internet forums during the dotcom bubble because it's just a bunch of garbage and people trying to pump up stocks. I haven't really watched Cramer's show in a couple of years, but decided to lately since I'm home all day and really have nothing better to do. CNBC is pretty much on here all day until 7pm.

As for the bad news being factored in on DIS, I also thought that, but they also cancelled the next dividend which I thought was a bearish signal that most people weren't expecting. I thought that alone would knock it down a few percent. I was hoping it would get down to 90'ish again.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You still made good. I was shocked when it popped as much as it did again today. That's nuts. But then it went bonkers a while back, too, and crashed just as hard. The best things for them right now may be Starbucks/China and the meat "shortage". We'll see.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  10. thegary

Not complaining, I did very well. Still, wow...
    Better than regretting not selling when I could have, something that happens just as often...

CCity Zero, Mr. Brightside and Sajan like this.
  11. thegary

Anyone have thoughts on VIAC?

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

as long as you made gains, i wouldn't beat yourself over could have would have.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I sold everything and keeping track of what I had to rebuy while still holding cash. If I would have held it from then it would currently be down26% daaamn.

the last day and half have been very low volume I believe. im about to short TF out of some stuff. It's coming boys and girls.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Who? Me? I didn't buy it. I've watched that thing since it IPO'ed and it scared me to death. I had no guts to buy it during its initial run-up from $60+ to $230+ a year ago. :D

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I know the dangers of 3x leveraged ETF's and that they are designed to only hold for short terms, but can someone give me some good reasons not to allocate a portion of my portfolio to UPRO, TQQQ, and TMF to hold? Going back 10 years with quarterly portfolio re-balancing it's been insane returns.

Portfolio:
    25% UPRO 3x S&P500
    25% TQQQ 3x Nasdaq Index
    50% TMF 3x 20+ year treasuries.

Best Year: 78%, Worst Year 10%, and Max Drawdown 19%. Grow 10k balance in 2011 to 173k in 2020.

[​IMG]

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I'm kicking myself for not buying calls... I was going to earlier ahead of this and thought, nah... I'll play some other trash play, haha. Not a great day for me on the market.

I'm glad you made something, and definitely get your sentiment regarding buying/selling, we've all done that.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A few things off the top of my head and from looking into these things in the past and having had my head handed to me when I first saw them and said "imma be rich!", and I'm no financial planner, and am not trying to give you any advice (so don't sue me) :

• The last 10 years have been a bull run. Everything other than maybe energy has been going up. What if we're in a 10-year downturn?
    • You can always say "why didn't I back then, so I better right here" looking back. History gives you close to 20/20 vision, but doesn't let you look at the future.
    • You're not really diversifying between S&P 500 and NASDAQ 100. The top 6 stocks account for about 20% of the S&P 500 index's value (out of 500+ companies!), so as they go, so does the S&P 500. Those 6 are MSFT, AAPL, AMZN, FB, GOOGL, and GOOG. Sounds like a bunch of NASDAQ stocks that have all been doing well for years. The last I recall, the index was something like 25% technology companies. I think the NASDAQ 100 is over 50 or 60% (can't remember). In other words, there's a lot of technology overlap between the two. In the case of the NASDAQ 100, I think something like the top 5 companies account for 50% of the price movement. And they're the same companies mentioned above. All this is one reason why people say "Wall Street doesn't represent Main Street".
    • Long term, you already stated it ... it says 3X, but like in the case of TQQQ vs. QQQ, there was a point if you looked at the 5 year chart and compared the 2, the return on TQQQ was 5x in February this year... 1 month later it was 1x or something. It's back up to 2.5x or something now. It's nuts -- most people would've exited their positions or jumped off a cliff by that point, I would think. Long term you have no idea what it's really going to do and if you read the prospectus, it even says that it's an intra-day instrument, I think. lol. If you think the indexes these 3x instruments attempt to leverage can go up forever and won't tank right when you need/want to pull the funds out, then it may work. It could also wreck your investment at the worst point in time.

Sajan, CCity Zero and The Real Shady like this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

this question should be directed to ur financial advisor / or boker, no ?

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Sold both my BYND options for a small profit....should have kept it. Didn't expect it to rise like this!

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

But the 50% 3x 20+ year treasury ETF seems to smooth out the downside. Max drawdown was only -19% with the portfolio over the last 10 years. I've just been playing around back testing. Thanks for the response.

CCity Zero likes this.