1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Unfortunately, I think it's a bit of both, like definitely some pump and dump stuff and then just some newer investors taking gains (or even more experienced people taking gains). Like on Waitr I exited all but 5 shares (for fun) on good profit and then remaining 5 just let go earlier today, like no way it'll currently go up like that for now, most of these are similar to chasing the news and quick gains. And on Blue Apron, unless someone takes their news releases and talks them up I never re-entered after what I was seeing so just took the 6+ entry at the one time and left at 9.66 or so and didn't ever rebuy, I kept thinking a good retrace from news but seeing the sinking ship I didn't re-enter, because after that tank at 28 and no one biting on the news ("we can keep up" "we'll hire more") it just became stagnant - way oversold right now. Unless over the weekend something changes, but I also think there's some fear of unknowns - ie maybe blue apron won't be able to operate due to a lockdown and if this ends at some point you don't want it as long term etc.

On blue Apron though l think initially not so much pnd but the rise to 28 and fall to 14 is definitely someone selling massive amounts and manipulating the market.

Like on Waitr when I described my exit it was very clear a pump and dump and I honestly hope newer people made money because there was so many orders being placed/sold at open that morning that if you're up you needed to exit. I didn't go through individual orders but just watching the volume cranking it was mostly artificial (like without a doubt, I mean you hardly ever see a stock that can sustain the climb it was on and when you see it jumping +/- 0.10-0.25 in real-time it's time to go, I mean at one point through watching in real time it looked as much as 50 cent gains/losses since it couldn't make up its mind.

I've basically been trying to restate for newer investors that you need to get out once up or if you see really fishy stuff going on, like in my experience with the current state of the market you want to be ready after you get profit. And I know I keep saying this... but absolutely want everyone to use tsl/SL or even pre marks to get out. Because there's so much money on the sidelines I think that whales can just manipulate stuff as they please. For example on waitr the night before the climb I was seeing orders getting placed for 38k in shares at 4:58 pm cst, I knew with orders like that that the whales werent screwing around, so in the morning I was watching premarket / open and same junk that I knew I needed to go. Basically newer investors will probably buy-in on hopes and whales will definitely set sell walls or just market dump killing momentum.

I'm sure a lot of people trading know this but I just like to re-share what pnd looks like, like even if it helps one new investor it's worth it. And the volume alone was just insane, like 100 million plus in a day.... Definitely pump and dump (like their avg was 4 million I think)

#8821 CCity Zero, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Exiled likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, for now on long term investments enter and average down if you see opportunities - buy more at dip/sell off and reenter bigger dip etc. if you gamble on last idea - like selling and reenter I only recommend doing 25%-50% at a time, unless you're really confident on trend or you know it's a hard dip coming.

With that said, you're good regardless. I was trying to detail to a friend like on cruises, they were going up too (and did stay up...), but it's just new money or old money returning for the hold, it'll definitely dip again before this is all over, but the long holds are seriously the safest ones. So this is a good buy regardless, hell for all I know we get good news over the weekend and this climbs like crazy. Regardless this is an excellent long play.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

Does anyone sees Elliot waves coming !this might takes years,17 to 23, 23, extended 12-16 (B)

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I need to look at some more things, but were you thinking like certain sectors or entire market (haha, I mean market as a whole is trash but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking things)? I've been trying to watch oil for something like this, right now it's a mess though (lots of garbage happening)... But was going to try to look at more things if I have time this weekend/next week.

Exiled likes this.
  5. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think it will look like Nikkie 225 , the market will be less volitile, less volume,less interesting to watch for extended periods, for short term it will maybe rebound by Wednesdays but the base will be a tad slower (I don't have metastock installed) just overall volume and basic indicators

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just announced :

Boeing just suspended its dividend and the CEO and chairman won't be taking a salary.
    GM is going to start producing ventilators.
    UAL said if they don't get a bailout by the end of the month, they're going to start reducing payroll.
    DAL is burning through $50 million a day in cash. Its revenue is down 80% in the quarter - $10 billion

#8826 Dr of Dunk, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

I don't understand this false notion that the market will rebound soon. The USA has a 60/1000000 ratio which is the lowest out of any western nation. If we average half of that of Germany we're bound to have over 50k cases. At that point, we would have the entire nation on lockdown which will only cause much more bleeding in the stock market. Regional banks are still solvent and we have a lot more hurt in the short term. I don't see how how the Dow Jones doesn't hit 12k. We haven't even had earnings nor unemployment numbers yet. When people are questioning whether this is the bottom or not usually means we haven't come close to a bottom.

Its like when bitcoin was trading at 6k for some time and people were wondering if that was the bottom for months then it dumped to 3200. When the bottom hits there will be blood on the streets.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, so he's detailing very similar to what you're stating but looking to make future trends. so to detail a bit more, on his post he's looking at trends/charts and using examples from the Nikkei 225 (stock market index for the Tokyo Stock Exchange to model ahead for our US exchange) and he doesn't mean like we're at bottom completely by any means (so we're going down further, ie his Wednesday point was a mini rebound for the week not the entire loss suffered). And he's then stating a possibility of less volume moving (excitement for bulls/investors) and if you look at this last week alone for the 225 you'll see something like - (and I don't have chart in front of me so this will be a example)

Monday - down
    Tuesdays - up but then down
    Wednesday - rebounds up
    Thursday down
    Friday up then down even further from Monday
    And will basically repeat until it hits true bottom just like you're mentioning.

To take this a bit further - Like if you look at past 3-6 months (again I don't have it in front of me) but you should see it trending way downward for 225 but there will be gaps to make money each week/day on certain stocks (but need to be very short moves) just like you're describing, like if you look at nikkei 225 it's been going way down and has been hit hard. And he's thinking we're basically going to see the same thing. So if we study the N225, we can potentially see trends to expect on the way down to our true bottom.

Then at some point possibly months/years these future long term investments will rise but we're not even close to the bottom. Hence why I haven't been putting long ones in yet because I'm trying to make money to put back into something like airlines/Disney or whatever I feel are the best bets for future. So I'm not putting it all in one stock/fund, but making it diverse.

Right now, you'll see a lot of people holding some money on the side to be ready for true bottom/good news on virus (hence the point on less overall volume), and you'll see daytraders making even shorter plays to protect their earnings.

Tl;Dr you're both stating the same thing of it going down, and short plays will be the only spot the money is for now, again - this only applies to traders wanting to make money on their trades quickly. For others dumping into long holds is fine now/later, just don't take it out if it falls - unless it's truly bad and going out of business etc. (and not even getting a buy-out but just junk, I'm sure most people won't do that hopefully, ie don't dump all of your life savings into a penny stock)...

Again, not financial advice! Haha, just don't want someone to think I'm telling them what to do. One other thing, he was stating stuff to look at on charts - like there are certain strategies that can absolutely help you make better entry/exit on trades. So that's what we were discussing on the Elliot waves (there's a lot more stuff you'll see/learn as you trade/study charts more - ie certain sequences to read up on/look for).

#8828 CCity Zero, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Exiled likes this.
  9. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend thinking of long-term blue chip stocks to start dumping money into through August. There's no doubt some stocks will hit a bottom they'll never cross again and if you're decades away from having to touch the stocks like I am, it couldn't be a better spot to buy heavy and hold for years. Not surprising that Ford and Boeing suspended their dividends, but those two are definitely near the top of the list of looks for myself along with Disney, GM, XOM and others. I'll keep my speculative plays for now but even with this past week being a massive % gain, I don't like days like Friday.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I bought Boeing Friday. If they vote for a stimulus and give money to Boeing and it spikes Ill sell. Otherwise Ill be in it for the long haul.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

401(k)s really should be able to profit in a bullish or bearish market. Why don't they have bearish fund options in 401(k)s? There's no way you can make money right now, even the bond market crashed.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right.... It's too late to do this, but I basically pulled a loan against myself - 5% apr and 50 dollar fee... I've saved more than 35k+ making the move, I've basically stopped checking it haha.... A hint of things going better and I'll be dumping it all back in (I mean let's say this is a 12 month move) the minimal amount lost at 5 % is nothing to losing ridiculous amount in days - no tax Penalty /no early repayment, just a short shelter.

I was originally doing this play to make a quick gain from crash but now it's like... Basically saved me mass since it's not in play.. My only regret now is not taking more or then not shorting the market in multiple spots. Oh well, I just wanted to avoid the collapse, I figured it'd be bad, but not this bad... I basically did this like day before the major collapse (seriously good timing and unfortunately only took it 1/2 way is limited the bleed but didn't capitalize in the market)....

I can't believe I didn't go further...... ****, hahah

I mean worse case wrong and out $50 and a few points but right and it's a lot... My 401K was killing it and then it's like it just fell down multiple staircases, losing major value from gains rapidly

#8832 CCity Zero, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Exiled likes this.
  13. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

are financial advisors known to help you roll money in/out into 401k's? I have an account from a previous job and would like to roll that into my current 401k. I think now would be a perfect time. I tried doing it myself but was a pain in the ass.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Or it crashes, they have to be bailed out and shareholders get screwed.

i wish i moved my 401k to something more liquid as it started crashing. down 25% since most of mine is in S&P 500 index.
    oh well. you live and you learn.
    hell, even now it might not be too late to move it, and get back in at a lower rate.

CCity Zero and RKREBORN like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

When I say I’m in it for the long haul doesn’t mean I might still lose my ass :D

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is temporary. There is nothing to see here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8836 Surfguy, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    tinman likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe to protect them from themselves. :D

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It depends, like if you can shelter it in another fund and trade it back later to the s&p like you mentioned that might be worth it, but one thing I don't like sometimes on 401k is the length of time to process, I mean I need to test my current provider and if it's quick trading this might be an awesome move to stop more bleeding, I have had mine semi aggressive previously but making high return for 401k then this **** hit... I considered doing this as well, but if we get some good news eventually it could be a decent climb, then again this is taking a long so you might still be able to save investments. For later entry to get it really climbing. ... Man we should have all discussed this more, haha, lots of good ideas.

I might test it on Monday to see how long funds take to change. If it's fast and you watch market daily - it you could save yourself nother 20%+ loss. I picked a random amount, but regardless definitely agree it's probably going down more for a while

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^ It'd be bigly ironic if Trump had to bail out the car companies.

The most beautiful of bailouts ever.