1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Stevie Johnson traded to the 49ers!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Giant9erRocket, May 9, 2014.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

The Buffalo Bills will trade wide receiver Stevie Johnson to the San Francisco 49ers for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2015, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The pick can become a third-rounder based on Johnson's performance.

Johnson, 27, had 52 receptions for 597 yards and three touchdowns in 12 games last season, his sixth with the Bills.

Buffalo traded up to draft Sammy Watkins with the No. 4 overall pick in Thursday's first round.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10908194/buffalo-bills-trade-stevie-johnson-san-francisco-49ers

A 4th round pick for a 27 year old stud receiver (3 - 1000 yard receiving with a crappy QB). It reminds me of the 6th round trade last year (Anquan Boldin).

Best receiving corps in the NFL?

Veron David
    Michael Crabtree
    Anquan Boldin
    Stevie Johnson
    Brandon Lloyd
    Quinton Patton

The missing piece for the 9ers was a receiver that can blow by Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor and now they got that with Johnson.

2. Giant9erRocket

Vernon Davis*

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He's not going to put the Niners over the top. Kaepernick has to figure out how to not choke in the clutch.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They have Lloyd too? Stevie fell off, maybe he can get things back on track and be an x-factor, but I can just as easily seeing him in the doghouse all year.

5. Mattj

Mattj Member

Super Bowl and NFC Title game appearances in his 1st 1.5 seasons of play, but he is a choker? That seems fair.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

uhhh stevie johnson isnt THAT good...they have a good amount of solid 2s, 3s....

ill still go falcons who have two legitimate #1s as the best receiving core in the NFL

7. Giant9erRocket

Going to the NFCCG 2 years in a row and a Superbowl appearance where he was 6 yards from winning it all makes him unclutch? Also people tend to forget he only played 1.5 seasons as a starter. I guess Elway was unclutch as well? Those fade routes were DUMB play calling. I would put majority of the blame on offensive head coach. Roman is a dumbass for trying the same play two years in a row and failing. It's equivalent to McHale's defensive play on Lillard when the same shot happened against Steve Blake. One would learn yes?

People also forget Crabtree was injured most of last year so yes another threat like Stevie Johnson helps. A healthy expiring contract Crabtree, a full year under his belt Boldin, a new young threat Stevie Johnson, and consistent V.Davis = Superbowl or Bust. The defense is still stacked especially with #1 pick DB Ward and 2 more 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks tonight they have significant options here.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't see how anyone can say this was a bad trade for the 49ers when they're just giving up a 4th rounder if he doesn't pan out. Johnson might not be elite or the same player he was a couple of years ago but he's still pretty good when healthy.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good trade, no question. But not exactly anywhere close to having the best receiving in the league. Emmanuel Sanders is probably more coveted at this point.

10. Giant9erRocket

I forgot the Broncos picked up Sanders.

V. Davis > J. Thomas
    Crabtree < D. Thomas
    Boldin = W. Welker
    Johnson = E. Sanders

Brandon Lloyd wins tie breaker and Andre Caldwell sucks?

Also let's take into consideration they have Peyton Manning passing to them in a pass heavy offense.

If the Broncos and 49ers swapped receivers, I'm sure at the end of the year people will say the Broncos (49ers) receivers would be the best in the league.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Crabtree isn't that good. The head-to-head rankings don't make sense to me. Thomas is borderline elite, SF has no elite WR's. Welker is better than Boldin.

12. conquistador#11

hey, 49ers you aren't fooling anyone. All those nice receivers and you are going to run the ball 70% with the rb/qb.

13. Giant9erRocket

It does make sense.

You line them up and compare them.

TE
    #1 Receiver
    #2 Receiver
    #3 Receiver
    #4 Receiver

Like I said you are judging Thomas higher when his QB is Manning in a pass happy offense also doesn't make sense. Let's see his effectiveness when Manning retires next year or the year after with Brock Osweiler as QB.

I'm judging them by their talent/effectiveness/proven skills overall. I'm sure the Ravens would prefer Boldin over Welker and a lot of other teams would do the same. Just like people would choose Thomas over Crabtree but its closer than you think if you switch the two and have Manning throw passes to Crabs. Crabs would get much better stats and that's what people see and go by.

I bet if that happened and we were to ask the same question a year later it may change. The only thing I like about D. Thomas is he's taller (allowing him to catch fade routes) and runs over people and is explosive quick. Crabtree is a possession receiver with much better hands and is deceptively quick and they are both the same age with Crab having a year more experience. It all depends on what your team has they both rate as borderline elite. I could have been a homer and put down Crabtree = Thomas but if it were Thomas catching that pass instead of Crabtree in both of those playoff games the outcomes may have been different.

It's your opinion and I have mines. IMO, 49ers have the best receivers in the league.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TE = Bob Saget
    #1 Receiver = Josh Boyce
    #2 Receiver = Josh Boyce
    #3 Receiver = Josh Boyce
    #4 Receiver = Bob Saget

VS

TE = Bob Saget
    #1 Receiver = Demeryius Thomas
    #2 Receiver = Bob Saget
    #3 Receiver = Bob Saget
    #4 Receiver = Bob Saget

The team with Thomas wins...

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

4 downs in the Super Bowl and a duck into the waiting arms of Sherman.

Unfair? Sure, but when you fail to make the final play, your season is defined by the end result.

16. Giant9erRocket

4 downs
    1 run play
    So technically:
    3 pass plays from the 5 yard line

The play calling should have been run, pass, run (preferably Kaepernick), pass, again bad play calling. Anyone who has ever played QB or watches NFL knows its hard as hell to pass on ___ and goal on the 5 yard line with the end zone being in the way.

Also waiting arms of Sherman? People forget real life I guess. You mean finger tipped by Sherman and fall into the arms of Malcom Smith? A duck pass? It was a tough pass and a very small window to throw it in. The pass was on target Sherman was just able to get his fingers on it. Has anyone seen an interception on a fade route before this game? That's the whole point of the pass is to not get intercepted but at least try for the TD since you have more downs to play with.

Like I said in my previous post. If that was Gronkowski/Graham or Calvin Johnson that jump ball is won by either of them. If Sherman's length was a few inches shorter it would have been a touchdown. Crabtree is the exact opposite of a receiver you want running this play but it was ran 4 times out of 5.

Too many "if's" but to call someone unclutch is a ridiculous statement.

17. Giant9erRocket

Sorry meant play-action pass for second play.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Haha ok, yeah blame the play call instead of the guy who choked.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

dude started half the year and brought his team back in the super bowl. his defense let him down that game. the timeout on third down when kaep had a clear path to the endzone when the ball was snapped...that was on coach harbough. boldon made some huge plays that day too

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

and we'll go to another nfc championship game.