1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Perry (Journey) Sings in Public for the First Time in 20 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oddly enough, the 1st song sounds the best. The 2 Journey songs have been lowered in key probably because his range isn't what it used to be. But still....sounded great all things considered.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ip4F9fGHZ00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's strange I had heard many years ago that he couldn't sing anymore because he got those nodes on his vocal cords.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Really cool to see. How lucky of an experience for those folks. It should soften the Kevin Love blow.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

The Barry Sanders of singers.

5. what

what Member

arnel pineda is making people forget steve perry. pretty sure that had something to do with it.

pineda is taking perry's glory. this is pretty sad.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

challenge. this was less than 10 yrs ago

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sPxu10M_6Cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's amazing how many great sound-alikes Journey's been able to scrape together to front the band, but Steve Perry was awesome. I can't believe the guy is 65. Damn!

8. droxford

droxford Member

I don't think he ever had any problems like that. He had hip replacement surgery due to a degenerative bone condition.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah no. No one can take Perry's glory. Dude is still a great imo.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with you, he can't hit the high notes as well as he used to, but being able to hear him sing LIVE after all these years more than makes up for any change in his vocal prowess! Steve Perry is still a stud! It's a shame that father time slowly starts robbing all of us of our gifts! Not trying to be nit-picky but I wish he would of sung the second song better than the first, "Lovin', Touchin', Sqeezin'" is one of my favorite songs!

LOL...really? I don't care who is the front man for Journey now, whenever I hear their songs, it's Steve Perry who comes to mind, NOT the impersonator! Not trying to take anything away from Pineda, BUT all things being equal, Steve Perry would eat Pinedas bkfst/lunch/ and dinner!...:eek:

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I thought Journey's lead singer was that Filipino guy.

now that guy is good

12. ima_drummer2k

Well, I actually saw them (along with Tower of Power and Steve Miller) this weekend at the Woodlands and Arnel came right out and said "Hello Dallas!!!"

So yeah, he sounded great......but that was unforgivable. Bring back Steve Perry.

13. what

what Member

he's REAL good and he breathed life back into that band.

The sad part is that steve perry didn't seem to give a rat's ass about that band until arnel came along and now perry is ready to be back in journey.

it's arnel's job now.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Where has he stated that he wants to rejoin the band? His anger at the band for pressuring him to get the hip replacement so that they could tour is why he left in the first place and last I read, he was still not speaking with them.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's not the first time someone in a band made a blunder like that. It's understandable considering these guys jump from city to city. Yea...it would be nice if he remembered what city they were playing that night but I'm sure the monotony of the road has something to do with it. Most of the time...they don't even get to go out and see what city they are playing in. They just see the bus, venue, dressing room, and stage.

I read a review on the Dallas news website when they played Dallas. It was not kind...basically accusing Journey of being a karaoke parody of their former selves or some bs.

It's shocking to me to see Perry singing Journey songs after 20 years of being MIA. I guess he still has the right to sing those songs? Did he write the lyrics of those songs? I thought those were Journey's songs as Neil Schon basically wrote most of their hits...didn't he? I haven't listened but I will have to listen.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I read in last weeks Rolling Stone that Neal Schon will be rejoining Carlos Santana in a reunion of the original (Woodstock) version of the band.

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think anyone can sing anything what they want, it's promoting it and recording it for sale where there would be issues. That said, I'm guessing he had something to do with writing them, so who's gonna say he doesn't have a right to sing em.

That replacement kid does a great job, but I'd rather hear Perry sing the hits whether they have to transpose them a bit lower or not. Nothin personal new kid. I don't really remember how poorly they were getting along when they split though.

Whoohoo - Frontiers in 83' at the Summit, who else was there?

#17 CrazyDave, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  18. ima_drummer2k

Oh, I know. Hell, I play in a band (on a much smaller scale) and I can't even tell you where I'm playing this weekend. If he had mistaken us for any other city, all would have been forgiven. But dallass??? :mad:

That would be awesome. Journey gets a lot of flack for their cheesy videos they made in the 80's, but no one can deny that Schon is a PHENOMENAL player. He always get over-looked in all these best guitarists lists (probably because he plays in Journey), but he's an amazing player. Journey used to be a jam band just like Santana.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This brings up an interesting question. If Steve Perry formed his own band and toured playing Journey hits along with his own new material, then given the choice between seeing Steve Perry's band and the current incarnation of Journey to get your hits fix...which would you choose? The draw is really Perry vs. Schon. I guess Arnel can fill in admirably for Perry but another guitarist could fill in just as admirably for Schon. I'd probably spend my money to see Steve Perry's band instead of Journey. I guess if you are a big fan of the music, then you would probably see both acts. Nothing beats the original singer in my book...not even Arnel. While Schon's guitar sound is unique, I think it could be easily duplicated for the hits by most any other professional guitarist. The hard part was creating the music in the first place...which he obviously did when writing the music.

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_HJlGWXzlLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He can't beat a young Steve Perry.... He falls short of being just as good, let alone better...