1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr needs to stop loving Yao Ming so much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rimbaud, Feb 8, 2005.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to Stevie, Yao is not an All-Star:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...lug=sk-westallstars020705&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I have one provision for selecting my All-Stars: they each must be on a team having a good year (unless their name is Kevin Garnett). Winning is all that matters in the NBA, so if you don't win, you're not on my team.

WEST STARTERS

Point guard: Steve Nash. He has energized the Phoenix Suns by setting an unbelievable pace night in and night out – and he does so without turning the ball over. The guy simply is a winner.

Two guard: Ray Allen. His perimeter shooting is the key to the Seattle SuperSonics' ascension to the top of the Northwest Division. Allen has incredible range, plus the ballhandling skills and strength to create his own shot from anywhere on the floor.

Small forward: Dirk Nowitzki. Has anybody in NBA history ever had the package of skills Nowitzki boasts? The Dallas Mavericks are having a surprisingly strong season, and Nowitzki is the main reason.

Power forward: Tim Duncan. He's tired, he's beat up and he needs a summer off. But Duncan is still the best. The San Antonio Spurs' big man competes every night, he rebounds and defends, and after Shaq he is the most feared low-post player in the league.

Center: Brad Miller. He's not always pretty, but Miller is a complete basketball player who is helping the Sacramento Kings have a terrific season. His combination of perimeter shooting, passing and defense puts him ahead of Yao Ming and into the starting lineup.

WEST RESERVES

Guard: Manu Ginobili. One of the most competitive and fearless players in the league, the Spurs guard is relentless driving to the hole. He's also a wonderful passer and an improving shooter. And he has no ego.

Guard: Mike Bibby. The Kings point guard has never made an All-Star team, and it's about time he did. He shoots the ball as well as any point guard in the NBA, he's an excellent passer and he's running a club that is 32-15.

Forward: Tracy McGrady. After a slow start, McGrady has turned it on and the Houston Rockets are starting to come together. McGrady can score almost at will, but he is a much better playmaker than he is given credit for.

Forward: Kevin Garnett. The Minnesota Timberwolves have struggled, but KG is still bringing it every night. He's incredibly long, shoots it well, shares the ball and defends any position.

Center: Amare Stoudemire. Is he a center? No. But he plays one on TV for the Suns, so I'll stick him at this position. Stoudemire is a ridiculous leaper and he has improved his jump shot to the point where opponents have to respect it. He still needs work on defense and on the boards, but he's having too good of a season not to be an All-Star.

Wild card: Kobe Bryant. Despite missing the Los Angeles Lakers' last 10 games with a sprained ankle, Bryant deserves to be on this squad. When it comes to late-game situations, nobody is a better clutch scorer – and he is a nasty competitor.

Wild card: Tony Parker. The Spurs point guard has elevated his game, and he directs the attack for the best team in the NBA. Parker has finally become what Gregg Popovich calls "a real point guard." He looks for his teammates first and uses his amazing speed to create shots for them, but he also has the guts to try to do it himself.

SHAFTED

The All-Star game selection process is like the Oscars – somebody is going to go home empty handed. Among those getting the short end of the stick:

Shawn Marion. The Suns forward is having a terrific season and so is his team. His rebounding ability allows him to play the four position, which is why Phoenix is a matchup nightmare for its opponents.

Pau Gasol. Ironically, the Memphis Grizzlies may have cost Gasol an All-Star berth by playing so well without him while he was out with injuries. But the big man is playing at a very high level and deserves consideration.

Yao Ming. Yao is a force. He still struggles against speed and double teams, but he can really play.

Chris Webber. He's having a terrific season, but just not as good as Miller and Bibby. It would be tough to put three Kings on the list.

Elton Brand. The Susan Lucci of NBA players – he's always finishing second. For Brand to make it, the Los Angeles Clippers have to get better.

Link

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Kerr, stay away from drugs.

Seriously, I can understand people wants Amare to start, but Miller? You gotto be really high to make that choice.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

We are all entitled to our opinions, including Steve Kerr. Too bad, his opinion is different than most of the voters. I guess, that's all analysts and "experts" are about, different than us:)

4. jkg123

jkg123 Member

Freedom of speech means you won't get arrested for any opinions you have...no matter how stupid. So, congratulations Steve Kerr...you won't get arrested for your article.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

People always contridict themselves. He said only winning counts, except for KG. Why so? Why he should be exception? Because he's a great player? Well, then we are looking for great players, not players from winning teams. T-mac is on the same team with Yao, Kobe is NOT in the winning team, so he had three exceptions, except one as he claimed. On the end, we are actually selecting players. Yeah, Amare played center once on TV, he listed him as a center. Why didn't he say, he won't be able to get selected ahead of TD and KG? You select all stars based on their performance in their teams at their positions, not according to your expert opinion where he coulda woulda shoulda play. But I guess it's just too hard to insert some logic and common sense in writing.

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Tony Parker over Yao or Webber?

Miller over Yao & Amare?

I'd love to get some of what he is smoking.

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yao is in the unfortunate position of having too many fans. I think a lot of NBA analyst see Yao as a player that is good, but not good enough to deserve to the be the highest voted All-star in NBA history or deserve all the hype that he has received. Therefore, they try to balance things out.

If Amare Stoudamire were voted in as the starting center of the all-star game and Yao were picked as a reserve, there would be a lot less backlash against Yao. It's unfair that Yao is criticized for having too many fans, but hey, life isn't fair. Ask the Phoenix Suns fans if they think it's fair that Amare and Nash are not starting.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3 Spurs on the All-Star team, his view isn't biased at all. :rolleyes:

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am surprised Kerr's team didnt include all Spurs and all Suns. Remember that Kerr is a PART OWNER of the Suns.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Brad Miller is a very good player especially since he is doubled and tripled teamed through out the game. Would love to see what kind of #s Yao could put up if with single coverage and no weakside help.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

hey - other than Lebron, Tmac and Duncan... every other player that is starting the all star game is getting questioned by sports writers -

that is just how the sports writers work their MO JO...

[​IMG]

12. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I have Manu on my squad, but to include him and Parker is ridiculous. I would understand having Yao on the bench, but for him not to be in the game is silly. I like Steve Kerr, but he is off on this one.

Stuart

13. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Talk about a great problem to have! Cha-ching!

14. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

yeah, Yao just can play.:rolleyes:

15. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

here are another couple of players that got extra Yao-like luv from the fans

...Vince Carter

...Grant Hill

(I guess he's in good company)

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Kerr needs to go back to college. Boasts isn't properly used.

[/grammar nazi]

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Brad Miller leads his team in blocks. That's a difficult stat to lead your team in when you are a center. Of course he doesn't lead in any of the other catagories. He is below the top 50 in scoring, but he trys real real hard. That Steve Kerr must really know basketball because he played with Jordan and he reminds us every time he's on national tv. He also won with the Spurs in case you need reminding that he is the championship type.

Kerr reminds me that Bill Walton is really not that bad and is just playing up his stupidity. Kerr trys to tone his down but can't help it when inner Jo-Jo the Circus Clown shows up.

I'd like to see Kerr say something like that about Shaq. Gotta love passive aggressive insults.:rolleyes:

I hate smilies. Look what you made me go and do Steve? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:........ :confused:

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

It's funny that the two guys he put ahead of Yao, have played center (especially Miller for most of his career), but I view them both more as PF's. But, that's just me. The voters don't care who deserves to be in the All-star game, they just care for the "dream" matchups and the highlight reel. The league gave us fans the right to our mass opinion, and all the so called 'experts' do is bash it. Funny thing is that, some of these ex-players never were close to being voted in or were voted in over someone more deserving (There were a few years Malone deserved it more than Barkley, etc.)

19. zongt

zongt Member

Steve Kerr is a no brain big mouth, I still remember at the begining of the season how he trashed Super Sonic. And then after Sonic win many many games, he put this team in his so called hign rank list.

BM over Yao, he must be an idiot.

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

How can Miller be considered a complete player when he has no post moves whatsoever? He's a jumpshooter that can pass. Whoopdedamndoo!