1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis Vs. Jason Williams, WHO IS BETTER?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BryceDrewFan, Dec 8, 1999.

1. BryceDrewFan

BryceDrewFan Member

Steve Francis
    Minutes Per game: 36

Field Goal Percentage: 43%
    101-234

3 Points Percentage 33%
    26-80

Free Throw Percentage 74%

Rebounds per game 5

Assists per game 7

Steals 26
    Blocks 6
    Turn overs 64
    Points 281
    Ponits per game 18

Jason Williams:

Minutes Per game: 32

Field Goal Percentage: 35%
    70-202 (OUCH!)

3 Points Percentage 25%
    26-105 [​IMG]

Free Throw Percentage 80%
    37-46 (not bad!)
    Rebounds per game 3

Assists per game 8

Steals 21
    Blocks 1
    Turn overs 55
    Points 203
    Ponits per game 14

I am sorry, I say Steve Francis is better. Jason Williams is a better passer but he can't shoot worth crap. I shot better. Francis Rebounds, Shoots better and gets more points per game and steals don't forget more turnovers also. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4Chuckie,

Bravo, my man. It is about one thing and one thing only. WINNING.

Stevie has more talent, but Williams is a better PG right now.

DaDakota

"Just win baby"

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, in that case...

Ostertag is better than Dream,

Eric Snow is better than Francis,

Pervis Ellison is better than Barkley,

Everyone is better than Walt.

OK, so that last one is true, but using the logic that winning is more important than anything, these comparisons are correct.

How about you put Francis on the Kings and Williams on the Rockets...which team would be more improved?

I think the Kings would.

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Rocketman-
    White Chocolate went to a worse team than the rockets, with bad chemistry as well, and took it to the playoffs, and nearly pulled an upset. Therefore he is proven.

Francis comes to a Rocket team with more talent (when Dream was healthy), bad chemistry (Barkley-Pip fiasco, new offense), and is continuing to improve. He may be better but he isn't proven yet.

The main things is the Rockets this year have more talent than last years Kings. Right? Both teams had probles (Webber wanted to leave, noone wanted to be in Sacramaneto, and the Rockets problems mentioned above). Right?

The results are simple, the Kings made the playoffs, Webber had a near MVP year, and the catalyst was Williams. The Rockets and Francis are unproven yet. Are we guaranteed the playoffs (I hope so, but one injury to Chuck or Francis and we are lottery bound). Are any of our players having career years this year (Maybe Cato, but it's his 1st chance to play).

Bottom line is this: Williams made his team better. Francis is too young to know yet.

Don't get offended, Francis will be great. But right now (and at any other point) I would take a proven over an unknown. Williams is the best thing to happen to the Kings, just like Dream is for the Rockets.

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

I think you give too much credit to Williams for Webber's improved play.

It's true that Webber wanted nothing to do with the Kings but he didn't play that way. He came out strong and stayed that way. It wasn't some gradual thing that had to do with Williams.

Williams did, however, make things fun in Sacramento. As the season went on, Webber's attitude about the team improved. That's all.

Plus, they had Divac and he is no slouch. It's not like the Kings were a horrible team and Williams saved the day.

Bottom line:
    Williams is an awesome passer.
    Francis is an awesome player. He is the whole package.

By the end of the season it will be clear that Francis is a way better player than Williams.

6. haven

haven Member

Take away Houston's poor shooting at the start of the season, and Francis has more assists than Williams as well. Francis is already playing with more control than Williams.

If I were constructing a team for one game, and could pick either player, I'd choose Francis in a heartbeat.

7. haven

haven Member

Take away Houston's poor shooting at the start of the season, and Francis has more assists than Williams as well. Francis is already playing with more control than Williams.

BTW, Chris Webber is better than either Barkley or Hakeem, now.

If I were constructing a team for one game, and could pick either player, I'd choose Francis in a heartbeat.

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Haven & Spacecity-

Last year Webber was unproven coming into the year. Yeah maybe Webber was playing for the contract last year but he had tons of help fr Williams.

I would agree Webber is a better player now, but all in all the Rockets have more talent. Barkley & Dream are greater than Divac & Webber.

At this point if I had to pick one it would be Williams, but I am naturally conservative.

Francis may have more upside, but I like Williams. He took the Kings to the playoffs and off to a great start this year.

9. Primetime

Primetime Member

4Chuckie, don't you think that Francis' play makes others better? Just look at what Cato does when Francis is there. Unfortunately, Steve hasn't played but one game since Dream went out and we became a more wide open team, but he is simply a playmaker. He gets people involved (note the assist avg near that of Williams), he can create for himself better than any other PG in the game (Iverson is a SG), and he has cut down his turnovers remarkably the more he plays. How the hell would you choose WC over #3?

Sac played well last season because CWebb is the man and they have a very good supporting cast around him. Can you tell me that if Williams was THE MAN in Sac they'd be as good? He is in a less demanding situation, but in no way is he doing a better job than Steve. Don't be blinded by fancy passing and streak shooting. By the way, Sac is not as good as the record would indicate, so we'll see how much you defend your contention in the upcoming weeks.

------------------
    Look out, The Kid is about to blow up!

[This message has been edited by Primetime (edited December 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Primetime (edited December 08, 1999).]

10. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Webber
    Minutes Per game: 38
    Field Goal Percentage: 50%

3 Points Percentage 33%

Free Throw Percentage 70%

Rebounds per game 11

Assists per game 4.27

Steals 26
    Blocks 25
    Turn overs 2.9
    Points 329
    Points per game 21.9

Hmmm? I think if anybody is responsible for the Kings turn around it is Webber not Williams. To compare Stevies game to Williams'is no comparison. Steve has a better shot, a better (more controlled) dribble, and don't even think about comparing the hops. The only level that Williams can compete on is passing, and if some of the Rocks' didn't have rocks for hands I think that Francis would feel more comfortable throwing fancier passes.

And then you have the question of which player is more exciting. Hmmm... let me see. Which would you rather see?
    A. Williams throwing a no-look-behind pass
    or
    B. Francis doing the underhanded alley-oop to himself for a nasty dunk.(or going baseline and dunking on center, or crossing over slower gaurds and getting to the goal for a nasty rim-rattling dunk or... well you get the point).

Hands down Francis is da' man now and for the future.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stevie is like a mini M.J......He is a cross between Jordan and Magic.This is an assinine thread........Your talking about a guy,barring injury that will become one of the all time greats.Please close this thread.

12. Primetime

Primetime Member

Listen to Hardwood Hammer. There is nothing else to say.

------------------
    Look out, The Kid is about to blow up!

13. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen Hardwood, amen!!!

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I see I am facing a losing battle here, but I stand by what I say.

Primetime:
    I can't tell you if Steve makes others better. The stats say no, except for Cato. Barkley, Dream, Anderson are having worse scoring years than years past. I will admit it is a new offense and he is a better shooter then WC, but Scoring doesn't make a great point guard. Do you think Penny is (was since he moved to sg) a better PG than Stockton? Don't confuse scoring with being good.

HH:
    "Your talking about a guy,barring injury that will become one of the all time greats.Please close this thread."
    Great expectation huh? Francis has skills, but comparing him to MJ or Magic is going too far.

Guys all I'm saying is WC right now is proven and I like what he has done for the kings. Francis has great skills and hopefully one day he will be great. However not every great PG is a scorer. Magic made his teammates better, and scored when he had to. isiah on the other hand seemed to be more of a scorer. he involved his teammates. I know you want to defend the rockets future, but I like WCs game more, right now.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4Chuckie,I respect your opinion....only time will tell.

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

HH:
    I would like nothing better than in 5 years after we are defening World Champs for you remind me of how I preferred WC over the NBA MVP.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do not dispute Stevie's potential...MAN IS IT LARGE...but I measure things on wins and losses only.

Yes Francis will be WAY better the Williams, but right now they are about even.
    (But not for long)
    DaDakota

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

primetime is a genius.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

19. haven

haven Member

I just can't understand why anybody would think White Chocolate is better than Steve Francis... oh wait! *snaps his fingers*

I think that 4chuckie shares a certain affinity with Jason Williams... they both smoke reefer [​IMG]

jk... just couldn't pass the opportunity.

20. Major

Major Member

RM95,

I would venture to guess Ostertag, Snow, and Ellison are not cornerstones of their teams... [​IMG] Francis and Williams are. Cornerstones get credit when teams with; thus they also take blame when they lose. The bottom line is that Williams helped make the Kings a good team last year; thus far, Francis has not done that with a Houston team that is arguably just as talented. (interestingly, we are also 3-0 with him out.. granted its a coincidence, but the point is that our record with Francis thus far is dismal)

As 4chuckie said, Francis will probably be the better player, probably even by later this year... but that doesn't mean he has proven it yet. He's played, what, a grand total of 13 or 14 games in the NBA? At some point, people will learn his tendencies and adjust... and he'll have to adjust, etc. There's still alot to learn about how good Francis will be.

To compare him to MJ or whatever is as loony as when we griped about the media comparing Kobe to MJ...