1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis has the edge on ROY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Junkyard Dog, Apr 21, 2000.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Steve Francis has the edge of ROY simply because he won NBA Player of the Week one of only 10 Rookies to do so! Elton Brand did not recieve that award so Steve Francis has the advantage!

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington

2. RocketsFanFromLa

I think Francis is more marketable than Brand. Remember Francis is the 6' 2 1/2" guy with a 40" vertical.

------------------

Really a member since March 1999.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Actually he's more like 6'1" because I sat courtside at the Blazers game the one we won and I'm 5'10" and he wasn't that much taller than me! I was taller than Damon Stoudamire

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Franchise deserves the rookie fo the year because he is a better player, leader and has a winning desire. Stevie is also a better all around player, when a point guard averages over 5 boards a game you have a triple double waiting to hapen.
    Steve deserves ROY but it will probably be a co-ROY with Brand.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

It should be Brand and Francis for CO ROOKIE. Francis is doing amazing stuff at the hardest position in basketball and Brand is doing a really nice job on his sorry team. Both players were question whether they could do some things. Francis was questioned if he could pass the ball and he has proved now that he can avg 6.6 assists a game. Elton Brand proved ppl wrong about his rebounding, he is avg 10 rebounds and the is the nba leader in offensive rebounds with 4.

BOTH PLAYERS DESERVE IT

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

6. steve francis

steve francis Member

My username may give away the fact that I am
    Steve Francis' biggest fan, but an Elton Brand supporter might make the case that Brand won the all-star rookie mvp award, so he therefore deserves to be roy. In all likelihood, they will share the roy award. Making them co-rookies in April pretty much let the cat out of the bag. Unfortunately, some of the knuckleheads at the top clearly prefer Brand, as they have a lot more links on Brand's nba webpage, and even a shameless Brand for roy link, which Francis doesn't have, at last check. Many people are still unwilling to let go of the punk image that Francis acquired when asking out Vancouver. Schick probably refused to make Francis a rookie spokesperson because of it, and he lost some valuable PR. In time, I think Francis will be able to shake off most of the rap against him.

------------------

7. francisandbarkleyrule

My Opinion: I think that Steve Francis is the NBA's best rookie, but I don't think that his winning of the NBA's Player of the Week makes the whole difference between the race of him and Elton Brand for the ROY. Let's just say for exsample Ron Artest was is on fire for one whole week, and was the NBA's Player of the Week. But his season stats don't backup him for the ROY. Francis though has the stats that can back up him being the ROY. Him being the NBA's Player of the Week, helps him a little in the race for the NBA's ROY, but it doesn't give him a huge advantage over Brand.

------------------
    Dave Rosenman
    Rockets Web

8. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

When will the winner of the ROY be announced?

------------------

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I don't know when are they going to announce all of the awards?

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington

10. hakola

hakola Member

isn't it sometime during the playoffs??

------------------

11. Dirt

Dirt Member

Could someone please explain to me why everyone seems to think Brand and Francis are the top 2 rookies? IMO,Odom is EASILY the best all around rookie.16 Pts,4.2 Asts,and 7.8 Rbs is pretty impressive.I think this guy has the highest upside of any of the rooks,Francis included.

------------------

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He may have the highest upside, but he is definitely not among the top 2 this season as far as rookies are concerned. In rebounding and points (since you mentioned those 2), Brand outperformed Odom.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And Francis beat Odom in Points and Assists too.

Odom will be good, once he leaves the clippers.

DaDakota

------------------

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  14. steve francis

steve francis Member

I know they hand out the MVP award usually around the conference finals. So, my guess that all the winers will be named in the secound round, although it could be different with the extended first round this year. I don't know why they have to take so long.

------------------

15. Dirt

Dirt Member

Dr of Dunk,
    I would'nt say Brand outperformed Odom,Odom merely had more talented teamates around him than Brand did.The next highest scoring Bull averaged 12 pts,the 2nd highest rebounder averaged 4.3.Odom had 2 teamates averaging 17 pts,and 3 other teamates with 6 rebounds a game.Incidentally,Odom also led the Clippers in assists per game.There's no doubt in my mind Odom[and Francis] would have had higher scoring averages if they had played for the Bulls.

------------------

16. haven

haven Member

Odom simply didn't dominate on the court, and at times showed absolutely no effort. Nobody's going to get rookie of the year who plays lethargically. Personally, I think it might be the fact that he played for such an awful franchise, but regardless, that disqualifies him from the ROY award.

Besides, Odom's field goal percentage was less than stellar for his position, as well. Also, didn't he turn the ball over quite a bit for a SF? (something that hurts Francis too, but it's more excusable for a PG)

------------------

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dirt, i think odom is very talented, but if u go by stats, he definitely is behind francis and brand. It is very tough to say that the clippersare more talented then the bulls, they may be, but the talent gap isnt huge. Didnt the bulls have a better record ? not really sure.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Francis is more popular than Brand he was All-Star Saturdays Media child entering 3 events . I wonder if Stevie knows that Andre Miller is going to get more votes than Lamar Odom

------------------
    DR

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Like Jason Kidd and Grant Hill in 1995 Brand and Francis would be nice .But its not gonna happen look at Brands highlights and Francis Highlights . Tell me who is more exiting . And DIRT , Steve averaged 6.6 assists and 5.3 rebounds . Odom 7.8 rebs 4.2 assists Adding that up is Odom 12 , Francis 11.9 .
    add steals Francis 1.5 Odom 1.2
    Odom 13.2 ,Francis 13.4 Blocks Odom 1.2 Francis .4 Odom 14.4 Francis 13.8 points per game Francis 18. Odom 16.6 FINAL
    Francis 31.8 Odom 31.0 Oh yeah TEAM WINS
    Francis 34 Odom 15

------------------
    DR

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

It will not come down to who's exiting or not it will be determined on who's better and who does more for their team! That's why it will most likely be co-rookie of the year because if Houston didn't have Francis they'd suck more and if the Bulls didn't have Brand they'd suck more. But as to Odom and the Clippers they will suck no matter what they do!!

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington