1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stereotypes of Pet owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Honey Bear, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

What are your thoughts about people above 18 who live alone with their pets? Or constantly talk about their pets? Are they more affectionate than the rest of us non pet owners? Would it annoy you if your significant other had a pet? It's funny how many pretty girls in their young 20's who work in a professional atmosphere have cats or dogs. IMO it's a result of the corporate world controlling their social life.

I say NO to pets before marriage.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The CEO of PetSmart was being interviewed on CNBC. Dylan Radigan, the interviewer, made mention of the fact of how PetSmart is doing fairly well when every other segment of the market is getting obliterated in this market correction. The first words out of the CEO's mouth I think were "it's because of the humanization of pets" (and of course, he had his dog, Bit O' Honey, on his lap). Humanization of pets... hmm... ok.

I don't mind people that love their pets - what's to mind? They love their pets. Nothing wrong with that. I sometimes do find it odd how much better some of them treat their dogs than they do people. I had a friend who had an 8 year old son she rarely said anything about. It's not that she wanted to keep anything private about him - she just didn't talk about him. But damn would she go on and on about her dog - her "baby" as she called it. I always found that weird. The chihuahua, she'd take with her in a bag wherever she went (into restaurants, too), while many times she'd leave the kid at a neighbor's house while she shopped... really odd. One day I told her what I thought about this... we're not friends anymore. lol. I don't mind. I still think it's weird.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That is weird, but I think it's more of an extreme than anything else. My wife and I love having our dog, but it is still the dog. I couldn't imagine carrying the dog everywhere and leaving a kid behind. That's nuts.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Having a pet is a result of the corporate world controlling your social life?

WTF are you talking about?

5. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Where in the world did you come up with this BS?
    There is nothing wrong with having pets whether you are living alone or with others and no matter what your age is. Thread closed.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

f pets and f kids.

just mouths to feed and **** to clean up.

it already sucks feeding myself, and cleaning my own **** up.

what's r****ded is the people that dress their dogs up. wtf is that?

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I didn't know pet owners were stereotyped except for:

1. Anytime a black, Latino or "wannabe" owns a Pit Bull, Rottweiler, etc. they are branded a thug, drug dealer or some other type of negative connotation.

2. People who claim to love animals are assumed to be extremist because of groups like PETA and ALF.

3. Old women who own black cats are witches.

I really didn't know of any other animal owner stereotypes.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Looking at how kids behave these days, I can see why some parents would love their pets more than their kids...

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Ooh...intriguing

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How about when you see a hyena on an industrial strength chain? I am always thinking "lol! that's going to be Paris Hilton's next pet!"

[​IMG]

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I like how when women give up on trying to meet men to get married, they instead just get a lot of cats. (the guy equivalent is action figures and/or they stop hiding their p*rn).

Also, as far as the humanization of pets, lets go back to the movie Independance Day. Remember when all the major cities were getting decimated and tens of millions of people were being killed in an instant? We weren't really supposed to care for the massive amounts of dead people since we were instead focused on the state of the art special effects and seeing national monuments blown up. But what emotional element does the camera focus on? the kid's dog, not the kid, or the hot stripper wife, but the kid's dog running and escaping the explosion. Millions of families are being destroyed, countless children, parents, wives, husbands, generations of human lineage ending completely, but at least the damn mutt is okay.

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

These girls don't have the time and energy to go out and date a guy who they can respect or connect with on an emotional level (because of their jobs), so they get pets instead and hook up with sleazy guys at clubs to satisfy their sexual needs.

Personally, it pains me to even think about the conversations girls have with their cats. What's worse is when they do get into a relationship and expect their significant other to care about their pet. I'm not driving all the way over to her house to feed her non-human friend when she can't make it.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

For some reason this made me LOL. It has Peter Griffin rant like feel to it.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Too bad Bob Barker had his way and dogs were doomed to extinction...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I will begin by contrasting this scene with a moment from Hotel Rawanda that NOBODY mentions. The UN sends home the white tourists on buses, they look at the black locals with concern as they leave. There is no room on the bus for the black locals (specifically the children). Yet the white tourists dogs and cats are on the bus with seats to themselves. Its a very important moment but few paid attention I suppose.

Anyways. Animals are unconditional lovers (stay away from the Aggie sheep joke you mofo, you know who you are) and thats why people love them. Whats wrong with that? Humans are horrible selfish people in general. Animals are loyal and genuine.

Id rather play fetch with a dog than watch Laguna Beach with a b**** anyday of the week.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Dude, your Freudian slip is showing...

The "problem" would magically go away with if one of these girls went on a date with a nice guy like you, right?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wow, that scene just slipped from my mind.

In a similar vein, there were pet lovers railing on reporters when the lovers saw footage of abandoned pets during the Hurricane Katrina disaster. Most of it borderlined hate mail because the reporters did nothing to rescue the animals...

I mentioned this before in another thread, but a lot of Americans treat their pets like trash the moment they stop becoming cute or wanted. 30 million pets and their street bred mongrels are found annually and put in shelters awaiting a death sentence.

It's such an unseen tragedy that it makes you wonder when people go ape**** over unique instances of animal cruelty.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Another reason why humans are bad and animals are loved...

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Let me guess: You are you a psychology minor?

Generally compassionate people are compassionate to all living things.

#19 Mr. Brightside, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BAN PETS in Restuarants and Bars
    I have a hard time eating at someone's house who has a pet
    esp when I see the d*mn thing jumping on Countertops
    were they fix the food. .

uhm . .no thank you

Rocket RIver