1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith says Dan Gilbert is trying to sell the Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Waited too long, Dan. Should have sold at the high mark when you had stars under contract ... like Les did.

Starts at the 4:37 mark:

I’ll tell you the No. 1 reason why LeBron ain’t gonna capitulate to anything that Dan Gilbert wants to do. Because what Dan Gilbert wants to do, from what I’m being told, is sell the team. But they’re more viable as a commodity if LeBron James is on your squad, as opposed to if LeBron James leaves. That’s one of the reasons why Dan Gilbert wanted him to commit to 3-5 years. Because within that time span, you sell the team [and] you get money out the wazoo.

s3ts, RasaqBoi and Vivi like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hope Lebron leaves Leaveland and Gilbert ends up selling after taking hits these last few years in the luxury tax DESPITE his star saying they needed to spend more. LOL

Classic.

Lebron is a nuke on organizations. Hopefully if he comes here Morey is smart about what we will and will not give in to.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

LeBron going to be LeOwner. He can be the first owner, coach, gm, player.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lebron can buy the team

s3ts and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lebron will leave so it tanks the value for his friend Maverick to buy it.../conspiracy theory

SirIvyLeague likes this.
  6. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm bid $600 million. I think an inside guy gets it though. Someone with ties to lebron.

SIL

7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No you're on to something.

SIL

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. hakeemthagreat

Lebron coming here could be disastrous. Yes we can win a championship. But if we don't EVERYBODY will be blamed but Lebron by the media. The whole world will hate MDA, CP & James Harden while making excuses for Lebron. Do we really want that for a one year commitment?

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

FYI the media already hates Harden and Paul. I guess MDA hasn't gotten any hate yet so it would be nice to keep him hate free.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Don't forget that it will be another championship tainted with an asterisk by BSPN for having LeBron on the team. The logic doesn't make sense but it doesn't need to for fans to buy it.

I wonder if the first report has it backwards though. You would think ownership would be pushing for aggressive moves (such as trading the nets pick for a rental) if he was planning on selling it anyway. Wouldn't value peak even higher right after a championship? At a time when teams (even bad ones) sell for a record high? Wouldn't that pressure from LeBron AND Gilbert be enough?

Or did LeBron already decide he's leaving and Gilbert is cashing out before it becomes public?

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I mean LeBron did what he promised and that's to bring a championship to Cleveland and he did. I'm sure when Dan heard about LeBron leaving he might as well sell the team.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

To say that LBJ nuked the Cavs organization implies that there was something to nuke before James got there.

14. rockets13champs

Lebron is leaving...

Lebron only worth 400 million right now. I don’t think he has enough to buy Cavs

s3ts likes this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

It’s going on 3 decades since the last one.

Do we really need to be picky?

16. Nook

Nook Member

Dan Gilbert isn’t the best person in the world. I don’t really feel bad for him at all. His franchise is NOTHING without LBJ. No question James is the best thing to ever happen to that franchise.

IvanLCPM, BigMaloe, CometsWin and 3 others like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

If LBJ wants to come to the Rockets, you do whatever needs to be done to make it happen. It really isn’t debatable.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Can't believe there's people who wouldn't sign the best player in the world in a era where the Warriors exist, and talks about him like he's Dwight Howard. The guy led two different organizations/teams to multiple finals and rings, come on...

Nook likes this.
  19. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Definite "whatever needs to be done".

For example, do you trade Harden for him for one year? No that would be stupid.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Hell I’d sign him even if the warriors didn’t exist

roslolian and Vivi like this.