1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith Rant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roflmcwaffles, May 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What are you talking about? It is irrelevant to argument...that's one thoroughly ratchet website, do most web users even visit that site...most black users visit the site...or most young black users?

Denying opportunity...what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

2. jose

jose Member

I'm saying that if someone gets offended by being called a name they must be insecure with themselves. if someone calls me a spic I really couldn't care less cause I love being who I am and I am confident to be who I am, it would only hurt me if I hated myself, much like a fat person gets hurt being called fat.

Insults only work when you're insecure, the racism that matters is the type that denies opportunity. Mark Cuban is providing plenty of opportunity to lots of different types of people.

3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm not specifically basing that on internet comments.

I'm sure it's the same group of trolls...

Yahoo News comment section
    Internet Movie Database
    ESPN user comments
    Local news station/news paper websites
    FoxNews user comments

Possible racism in Tea Party...
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/...s-among-tea-party-supporters-but-not-members/

5. jose

jose Member

I see plenty of ESPN comments on both sides, I think you're cherry picking stuff. Also whoever said earlier in the thread about it being a national story every time a white(or looks white, as many times it can be hispanic) shoots someone is correct. This is just media that is riling up people's emotions for ratings and their own agenda and how people don't recognize that is beyond me.

http://www.infowars.com/say-hello-to-roderick-scott-the-anti-george-zimmerman/ This article was the response to everyone who ever told me that if a black person shoots a white person they automatically get thrown in prison forever.

I also don't like Obama mostly because he's an extension of Bush Jr(whom I didn't like either) policies but that's a whole other topic.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You are going off on a tangent, here... no insults need to be said or uttered for racism to take place, it's almost a non-issue...we are also talking about discrimination...because someone looks "suspicious" ... "troublesome"..."undesirable". It gives someone a right to discriminate or erroneously disturb or disrupt someone else's livelihood.

7. treeman

treeman Member

SAS is 100% right, Dyson and Cuban's other detractors are completely missing the point, and there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with what Cuban said.

Cuban was talking about thugs. Not simply black people - thugs. Most people know a thug when they see one, and it often has a lot to do without context. SAS was talking about personal accountability.

As usual, race hustlers and leftists want to avoid any conversation about personal responsibility, and instead make this issue - like every other issue - about race. That changes the subject and allows them to avoid personal responsibility - "It's just because he's black!" or whatever.

Until those who are prone to thinking everything is about race get over it, nothing is going to change. It is not possible to have an honest, constructive dialogue about racial issues who think that everything is about race. There actually are a good many people who couldn't care less what race someone is, yet are called racists simply for having such an opinion (it's white privelage or some garbage like that). I am one of those people, and we get tired of it. It accomplishes nothing aside from poisoning the well and making actual dialogue impossible.

This is the state of race relations though. And as long as there is an entire industry full of people whop make their living agitating on racial issues - the Jacksons, Sharptons, and Dysons of the world - nothing is going to improve.

8. jose

jose Member

I have been profiled before, for example cops asked me what I'm up to and ran my information through, this wasn't when I was driving either, I was simply walking.

They asked me dumb questions like "why do you have that look on your face?" or "where are you going?" but at the end of the day I was compliant and calm and they left me alone, if I got hostile I could have been arrested or tazed.

as long as people can associate negative experiences from a certain type, they'll be prejudiced.

my question to you is what is your ideal society then? all I would want is one where everyone is judged based on merit and what they bring to the table. that means I wouldn't ask for race or gender on any application anymore.

I saw an article the other day complaining that Apple's board of directors are "too white", which I think is a bit ridiculous. I don't think Apple sits around thinking "how do we stay as white as possible?"

It's apples to oranges, but I enjoy both the NBA and NFL, and of course they are both majority black. If the majority of American athletes in these sports happen to be black then so be it, there shouldn't be any problems from any rational people. But what if some lunatics wrote to the NFL or NBA demanding there be more asian or hispanic athletes?

Let the most qualified people in regardless of race or gender and don't ask for race or gender to fill quotas either. It's a bad deal for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He never said thugs... he said black boys in hoodies and bald white men covered in tattoos. That's non-descript, but I know who he is referring to. As an adult woman, I wouldn't be afraid to be on the same sidewalk on those mere descriptions, alone. Unless, I was being followed, stalked, or harass, and in that case I wouldn't care what a man was wearing or his race.

Why are Jose and you mentioning "personal responsibility" ... I didn't think that was required to walk down the street...not even an interview or a school?

Your types are impossible.

10. jose

jose Member

I never said the word personal responsibility, putting words in my mouth, please address my question.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Victim-blaming=personal responsibility... Someone...who is someone...a random person on the street, a co-worker, a friend, a boss, a celebrity, or f#cking politician... are they simply calling me name or is it persistent?

12. jose

jose Member

The funny thing is that Cuban didn't even say anything close to an insult but I was just stating that I personally can't get offended cause I feel good about myself. If I lived around rednecks in some small town I would rather move out than try to change them, much like an inner city neighborhood full of crime. It's not worth my time or effort, but some activists church groups etc are trying.

Cuban is speaking honestly and probably millions of other people feel the same way as him. You can't just ignore prejudices as if they don't exist or don't have a reason to exist.

13. adobo

adobo Member

I think people are getting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, and i mean WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too carried away of trying to be in the other side of bigotry and getting caught up in something that doesnt even exist. OMFG! JEEZUS! WTF!? If you can't see the underlying context on what Cuban and Stephen A. is trying to say, then YOU ARE JUST PLAIN DUMB, SLOW OR JUST STUBBORN. Trying to pick out the stuff and analyzing what they said word by word without taking into consideration the context they were implying is just being an annoying nit picker. GET OVER IT!

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

As much as you will your worn out Kobe underoos and overusage of the caps lock key and a button. Can you pretend not to be the obvious Kobe fan in the room for 10 seconds, it's starting to effect your reasoning skills.

15. treeman

treeman Member

You apparently did not actually watch the SAS "rant"... which happens to be the topic of this thread. Why don't you watch it now and then come back and ask me if anyone said anything about personal responsibility.

Oh, and what do you mean "Your types"? White people? You got something against white people, huh? :rolleyes:

See how that works?

16. adobo

adobo Member

From my one post, you have already made up prejudice opinions about what type of person you think I am. And you have the audacity to point fingers at other ppl who state "truth" prejudices that occur in our society? pffft get out of here :rolleyes:

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I've always found the internet to be an extremely effective place to change people's views on racism, amidst the extreme overreaction and hyper-sensitivity. I'm surprised more people haven't been enlightened by all the words typed thus far.

1 person likes this.
  18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'll let you comfort in that assumption, even though you're not supposed to be a race-baiter or color-blind. White people is the first thought that came to your mind.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This is a very interesting question.

20. treeman

treeman Member

LOL, right over your head. It's perfectly fine for YOU to assume Cuban was talking about blacks and not simply thugs (even though he included white "thugs" in the reference), but it's not OK for me to assume you were indicating a bias against white people?

Yeah, right over your head. :rolleyes:

Again, how about you actually watch the SAS video in the OP so, uh, you know, you'll actually know what we are talking about here? You know, like the thread topic and all that?