1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith Rant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roflmcwaffles, May 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'm not a big fan of Stephen A Smith, but I think this is a good rant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LKXKccyb2e8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Mr. Space City

stephen a smith got owned so bad by michael eric dyson on first take.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YmLG1OHR8BI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah I like it

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

He didn't get owned. Both points are valid. The difference is this: Dyson is an idealist, Smith is a pragmatist. Dyson says "It shouldn't be that way." Smith says "It shouldn't be that way, but if you want to pretend it's not that way, you're going nowhere in this society."

5. Mr. Space City

did you watch the show?

SAS contradicted himself that show without even knowing it. one of his talking points was that black kids should just take off the hoodie but then goes to tell a story about how a white women clutched her purse when he was dressed in a tailored suit. basically proving that it is't just about the hoodie but the fear that some people just have for black people in general.

it was a great discussion that show.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lame for people to call him an uncle tom, I don't think his opinion made him an uncle tom.

I slightly disagree with his black people ignoring the white guy with tats on his face and body parts, the reason it was ignored because a black guy in a hoodie is normal for everyone, it took the extreme way to describe a white guy to show fear.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Black guy in a hoodie is not just a dude and his hoodie. It's that whole image of pants around your ass, walking like you're on drugs, messing with passerbys and wearing that arrogant delinquent expression on your face.

Don't pretend that isn't the image you see in 99% of the rap music videos.

8. ApuN

ApuN Member

This is the typical mindest of a white bigot. Cuban didn't mention sagging pants, being high or anything like that. Cuban only said a black kid in a hoodie

Bigots-especially white bigots seem to see things that arn't there which greatly contributes to self paranoia

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I wish some of you would stop bringing up the rap videos.

People sag with a regular shirt on, people sag with skinny jeans.

There are plenty of normal black kids wearing American Eagle hoodies or any other hoodies white people also wear.

10. dback816

dback816 Member

You're right, when you think about black kid in a hoodie, you think about a well spoken child of 17 wearing dress pants and shoes, and getting ready to start a an afternoon of part time summer job earning honest money.

You're such an angel.

You'd definitely would walk headlong into a group of young men wearing hoodies and sagging jeans at 2AM right.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I watched it and you got his point wrong. His point was if you are in the position where you are asking folks to hire you then you have to conform to the speech and dress that they deem acceptable. If you are in the 1% like a Jay Z or a LeBron then you probably don't. But if you are a "regular person" trying to better yourself then you need to realize folks won't hire you with your pants hanging off your butt and not speaking "proper English". It's why he referenced how he has to dress at ESPN compared to how you see him dressed on his own time.

His rant was spot on. The folks that can just do what they want are either special (like a LeBron) or are in a position where they don't have to rely on someone else to get paid. But most of us aren't, and that's what we need to realize. He is saying recognize the fears that people have...the minefields out there for us...and do what you can to not run into them. It's not fair but it's reality. Dyson told him the dominant culture needs to accept more responsibility to change as well, ie we don't need to be the only ones changed. He didn't disagree with that. But while you wait for that to happen or fight to ensure it happens, do the best that you can to make it under the current conditions. That would include looking and talking a certain way in certain places. Not just for your career but for your safety. Is it fair that I, as a black man, can't stop in Vidor at night without putting my life in danger? Of course it isn't. But would I be a dumbass to do so, knowing that it will put my life in danger? Of course I will be. It's not fair that certain speech patterns won't work at my place of employment, but I am aware and understand that they won't, so if I want to work there....

#11 Icehouse, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    3 people like this.
  12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Did Cuban say anything about sagging jeans?

If he mentioned sagging jeans I would guess the outrage would be lesser than it is right now. Of course some would still whine but it probably wouldn't be as bad.

13. Mr. Space City

keep worrying about black kids in hoodies or white guys with bald heads and tattoos while guys like this sneak under your noses lol

[​IMG]

14. BinBinRingRing

Wow how do you speak 10000 words without a pause.

15. Mr. Space City

we're not talking about job interviews. nobody wears a hoodie to a job inteview. we're talking about just walking down the street in an article of clothing that almost everyone wears.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Did Cuban explicitly mention the white dude was a neo nazi? Yet everyone assumes that's the image he's talking about.

You know exactly what Cuban was referring to. Please stop pretending to be outraged at how insensitive and nondescript his hoodie example may have been.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You aren't talking about job interviews. He was. This isn't the first time he has made this point (just hasn't been this long of a rant), and he mentioned conforming for employment or to get your $$ several times. Why do you think he noted how he has to dress at ESPN? Why do you think he noted how some athletes looked at the draft, before they got paid? Why do you think he mentioned folks giving you jobs? Why do you think he noted how he wishes kids would realize the folks they see dressing and talking however they like are special and odds are you aren't them and can't do what they do?

I think you are too focused on his hoodie mention and missed the point that he was trying to make, at least in this clip. In his mention of the hoody, he notes that it is a reality that some are scared of minorities in hoodies, just like some minorities are scared of tatted up white guys in certain parts of the country. His point on that was are we going to honestly say we have no biases, right or wrong? That's why he didn't mind Cuban's comment about the hoody, because he used another reference that brought him fear in the same sentence, and his only point was he has biases. The hoody reference was a bad one because of what happened with Martin, which Cuban did apologize for.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

I haven't been outraged by Cuban I'm quoting you in this thread. Cuban hoodie reference was whack and anytime you make a racially comment publicly you should be specific how you say it.

I personally don't care about Sterling or Cuban comments but I can debate on how stupid it was.

19. Mr. Space City

no. stephen a smith said that black kids just shouldn't go out the house at all in hoodies. not just to interviews.

he also talked about how he scareda white woman when he was walking down the street in justa suit.

i saw the program. i have it dvr'd on my cable box.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

Here, I fixed your post and added what you really wanted to say.

You think Jesse Ventura is getting tweets and emails from bald white men with tats about how upset they are for being stereotyped?