1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith on NBA MVP "James Harden or Greek Freak"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

"What James Harden is doing right now is literally carrying the Houston Rockets on his back."

I would pay to see that.

whiskeyred, cml750 and ribbit like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You could make a case either way for MVP. But Harden is the best basketball player in the world right now, award or not.

adw, slothy420, RockWest and 10 others like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Didn’t listen yet. I listened to the Dunc’d On Basketball podcast today morning, and I thought they made a decent case for Giannis.

Giannis brings All-Defense capability plus his team is on pace for 60 wins. I can’t see Harden winning this if the Rockets just barely scratch 50 wins, even if he does lead the league in scoring by a wide margin.

He is in the spotlight right now, but I think he will fall back down in the MVP ladder pretty fast once he cools off a bit, unless the Rockers can continue to rise in the standings.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Harden will start bench pressing CP3 first, then we will stack the players one by one on top. Piggybacks are too easy.

Will likes this.
  6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

its easy decision, who is the better player, who makes his teammates better, who is more clutch, who is the better shot take, who can close out game......???

I mean WTF is it even close....??

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. Harden would really have to separate himself in the stats category, which believe it or not he hasn’t yet, to get over Giannis if the win disparity is too big.

kevcai likes this.
  8. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Houston needs to beat Bucks and Nuggets to shut down those mouth. Go Rockets

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Huh? Harden’s PPG is a good 5 points higher than the 2nd highest player. That’s not separate enough? We’re talking about ~30ppg range. Even 1 point difference is huge here. And he’s got a 5 point advantage. FIVE!

adw, slothy420, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Rockets need to finish top 3 in West and hope the Bucks slip some to give Harden the edge.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but your boy stat-padding rebound stealing boy westy though

adw and D-rock like this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

PPG isn’t everything. Giannis, believe it or not, is better in scoring efficiency. He plays less minutes and takes less shots but he is elite in efficiency. Obviously a better rebounder and defender and is actually creating pretty decent for others. I believe he’s also on pace to break the dunk record.

Harden has his obvious advantages but at this point it’s not enough to overcome the record disparity.

But things change.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's fine to argue for Giannis. I don't have anything against him or people who say that he should be MVP... except that they are wrong.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

harold bingo likes this.
  15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Of course ppg isn’t everything, but it’s the most important stat of all. The Greek Freak is a better rebounder because guess what, he’s a 7 footer! He’d better rebound better. But he’s not in top 5 in ANY of the stat category (ppg/asst/rpg/block/steals). Like none! How does he separate from others?

The only thing going for the Greek freak is the team record. But we’re only what 4 games back, despite the horrible start and all the injuries? So 5 points (it’s actually 7 points over Greek freak) isn’t separate enough, but 4 games is? I don’t think so.

D-rock likes this.
  16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Giannis will probably win because the media likes him more but we know who the MVP is

slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

If the vote was today Harden would win. That basketball reference estimation uses win shares disproportionately. Harden has a step up on Giannis regardless of who finishes with more wins. All of the analysis of course is dependent on him keeping up this play.

NBA.com has Harden #1:
    http://www.nba.com/article/2019/01/04/kia-mvp-ladder-week-12-2018-19?collection=news

Vegas has Harden #1:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamza...eak-james-harden-is-now-the-nba-mvp-favorite/

Plenty of other sauces..

ryano2009 and D-rock like this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Harden IS the Greek Freak. He is James Harden, he is ALSO the Greek Freak.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

waitaminute.... so I'm saying Harden is the MVP... and yer sayin he's not?

I... I just dont know what to say to that...

lol! ;)