1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stephen A. Smith] As of this morning, I am hearing Lakers are serious threat for Kawhi Leonard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rasheed, Jun 28, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

All of their stars would be top 7 if not top 5. Perennial MVP candidates and 1st team ALL NBA who play both end of the courts (Lebron plays D in the POs).
    If that's not a historic superteam then what is it?

BaselineFade and YOLO like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

LeBron would arguably be the worst of the three players. That team would be ridiculously good.

BaselineFade and malakas like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

God I hope BR is right this time!!!

tc0330 likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Not happening, no way.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The two I literally mentioned in the post you quoted — the 2010 through 2013 Heat and the 2016 through 2019 Warriors. A "super team" refers to the entire roster, and based on the timing and circumstances of how those earlier two teams came together, they were much better from the 4-12 spots than these Lakers would be. Especially the Warriors.

6. malakas

malakas Member

you are dismissing and overlooking them before they have even signed a 4th player..?
    Do you really believe that some desperate ring chasing veterans who still have something left in the tank won't join them?

Icehouse likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Warriors, I agree with but the Heat had a lot of depth issues that were solved very easily by ring chasers. LeBron is the most popular guy in the NBA and Los Angeles is the most popular city, I think with their MLE and vet minimums they would be fine.

I also think you're underrating how good Kuzma is going to be next to three stars.

8. The Cat

Won't have MLE since they'd be going beneath the cap to sign Kawhi.

treyk3 likes this.
  9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Kawhi, LeBron, AD is a front court heavy star group. Especially when their only other player is Kuala, also a front court player.
    Kawhi is way better obviously, but from a fit standpoint it seems like it would be better to go after Kyrie or Kemba.

CP3, Harden, Butler is a backcourt heavy star group. If we had to include Capela in the trade we better hope that we could get some serviceable big replacement for minimum

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. The Cat

I'm sure some will. Of course they'll fill out a roster. What I'm skeptical of is whether the desperate veterans willing to sign for the minimum are anywhere near the quality of the GSW supporting cast of the last three seasons.

Look, it might work out. I'm not saying it won't. All I'm saying is that it'd be fairly unprecedented to build a championship supporting cast out of nothing but minimums. People underrate the non-star infrastructure that was already in place at Golden State.

malakas likes this.
  11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

why would anyone take an easy job over a hard one???

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I agree with you on this . Which is why i think trading for Jimmy Butler in a SNT is a terrible idea.

D-rock likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Way too much smoke about this to not be legit. I'm preparing myself for Kawhi to the Lakers. Seems bound to happen.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why doesn’t it make sense for Kawhi? He’d increase his odds of winning, get to play at home and arguably make more $$. He may not care about the stuff we want him to care about, like who gets the credit, etc.

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

every offseason the media says the lakers are a threat for every free agent.

16. The Cat

I get your point, but at least in the Houston case, you'd have spots 1 through 6 taken care of. Harden, Paul, Butler, Tucker, and likely 2 viable players from the NT-MLE and Nene contract slot pile. And Houston also has all of its future draft picks to deal. Still, it's not optimal, I agree.

Also, with regards to the Miami example, I'd also point out that they played in the East. That helps.

treyk3 likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm hearing from sources that Kawhi Leonard is from California (Southern, specifically) - and will consider offers to return there.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They won’t need the MLE. We have seen guys sign minimums to ring chase.

malakas likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

What I was fearing was Kawhi going to the Clippers because Jimmy would join him.

I feel better about the Rockets chances of getting Jimmy if Kawhi becomes a Laker.

Keeping Tucker becomes greater to negate Kuzma somewhat.

LeBron/AD/Kawhi............................Harden/Butler/CP3
    Kuzma..............................................Tucker

Remaining pick ups will decide this thing (& health)
    .......................................................... JJ Redick (I say will be one FA pick up for Rockets....DJ possibly another)

20. The Cat

They're usually not all that good.

J Sizzle likes this.