1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith - “Chris Paul wants out”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jun 14, 2019.

1. onreego

onreego Member

It's interesting how James always becomes the bad guy in these situations. He has his flaws but it's hard to expect an offensive shift late in the season let alone a playoff series. He played a specific offense for most of the season out of necessity and he got comfortable with it and, even then, the offense wasn't the reason why the Rockets lost the series.

Hopefully, most of this is the media blowing things out of proportion. I think we need more variety in the offense and certain personnel changes but I think CP3 and James can play together still and play together well.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. onreego

onreego Member

This is an interesting perspective because I feel Gordon has a lot of freedom in the offense and it's weird that a lot of people don't see Butler with that same freedom if he were to come here.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Stephen A Smith: Something negative about the Rockets.
    Clutchfans: He's a fraud!

Stephen A Smith: Something positive about the Rockets.
    Clutchfans: You know, he's VERY well connected.

Captain Hook, snowconeman22 and YOLO like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is this alleged drama something or nothing?

Stephen A.: Nothing. Spoke to Chris Paul yesterday. Categorically denied the report. He wanted to state emphatically he has never ever once demanded a trade. That's a fallacy. ... Did he demand a trade? No he did not. Did he ask to be traded? No he did not. I reported he is looking to be out of Houston. He did not address that so I don't know how he feels about that. This is my situation: when I look at Chris Paul & the Rockets as presently constructed, it does not work. Mike D'Antoni puts every possession through James Harden. Chris Paul departed the Clippers to go to Houston, looking forward to being off the ball sometimes. There's no way in hell he could enjoy being off the ball as much as he was this last season. That's problematic. Something has to change there. The drama that is really unfolding is Fertitta, Morey & D'Antoni. D'Antoni wants an extension. Fertitta offered $5M + $1M for each round you won. That's where the real drama is going on. Harden & Paul have spoken. Did Harden get back to Paul initially? No. Did it take a few weeks to connect? Sure. But they have spoken. This stuffa bout can't stand one another? That's not the real issue.

Is it how they're being used or the pressure of coming up short?

My personal opinion, which is something I've shared with Tilman & Daryl, is how they play. Chris Paul is getting paid $38M, $41M, $44M. You say Chris Paul is not that guy anymore. Didn't the Raptors just show you don't need to be that guy as the secondary option? He's not the #1 option.That'll be James Harden. He's #2. The manner in which the way Nick Nurse utilized Kawhi Leonard goes a long way. There are plenty of teams in the NBA who have a star who is ball dominant but not to that degree and have supplementary parts around them who are better than average or all-star caliber like Chris Paul when healthy. You have guys on that team & have had success if you know how to utilize them. D'Antoni's style of coaching where I'm gonna run ragged my superstar, everything through him, that will not beat elite teams in the NBA. We agreed Milwaukee & Toronto would have beaten Houston. When I look at Chris Paul, OK, he's not that superstar but he's still damn good.