1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stein: Van Gundy worried? Well, he always looks that way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Dec 1, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2243456

HOUSTON -- You look at the bleak record and the darkest bags ever under his eyes and you are prone to conclude that Jeff Van Gundy isn't just a troubled coach.

You see the stress in his face and figure that he must be a coach in trouble, too.

That's not exactly so.

He is, but he really isn't.

Van Gundy is in the hot seat because this is the NBA. If you're not Gregg Popovich or Jerry Sloan, you're pretty much guaranteed to hear about your job security after a couple seasons. Or sooner.

That said ...

Van Gundy is also a fair bit luckier than his look suggests.

When the Houston Rockets went to Dallas last May and lost a Game 7 by the humiliating score of 116-76, it was Tracy McGrady -- not Van Gundy -- who absorbed most of the fallout for the Rockets' failure to take their season into the second round. The painful exit, after Houston seized a 2-0 series lead with two road wins, didn't prevent Van Gundy from receiving a one-year extension to his contract.

When McGrady missed eight games this month with a back injury and the Rockets lost all eight, it was Yao Ming -- not Van Gundy -- who was bashed hardest for failing to keep the rest of the Rockets closer to .500.

When the Rockets hired Van Gundy to succeed the legendary Rudy Tomjanovich, Van Gundy's reputation as an elite coach won him the opportunity. Only now, in a season expected to support or invalidate that stamp, Van Gundy has been reduced to finger-crossing as much as he's coaching. Which makes it tough for anyone to nit-pick his decision-making.

In their current state -- best described as openly praying that McGrady's iffy back doesn't get any worse -- Van Gundy and the Rockets can't prove anything. They're just trying to get back to respectable, having desperately needed a victory Tuesday night over Atlanta to hike their record to a meager 4-11.

"This is how the NBA goes," Ol' Raccoon Eyes said this week, hours before McGrady's return halted the longest losing streak of Van Gundy's coaching career at seven games.

"It's very humbling. I've learned that over the years. No one is above bad stretches."

"You get what you deserve in this league and we're getting what we deserve right now. I'm getting what I deserve as a coach and we're getting what we deserve as players. ... I've got to try to come up with some answers."

That's true. That's what coaches are supposed to say and do, no matter who is in or out of the lineup. Especially coaches in Van Gundy's salary bracket of $4 million to $5 million per season.

Yet it's more true that McGrady's injury vulnerability has actually given Van Gundy some added cushion against heavy criticism. The pressure on the coach would be significantly heavier if McGrady was at full capacity, because then Houston would be forced to live up to all those lofty preseason expectations.

Which might have been an even bigger problem for Van Gundy than his current predicament.

Reason being: Houston might have been the most overrated team coming into the new season.

The Rockets were a popular choice to emerge as the West's No. 1 threat to overwhelming conference favorite San Antonio, with Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire undergoing knee surgery in training camp and Yao getting his long-awaited athletic sidekick (Stromile Swift) in the offseason. McGrady promptly developed knee soreness in camp, followed by a nasty fall in practice that bent his back on Nov. 4, and the injuries have shifted the focus away from the Rockets' long list of shortcomings.

Tracy McGrady
    AP/Donna McWilliam
    With his heavy load, it's no wonder T-Mac has back pains.

They need a dependable No. 3 scoring option even when McGrady plays through the pain. They don't have anyone outside of McGrady and Yao to consistently occupy the defense, let alone someone to punish the opposition for smothering Yao when T-Mac's out. As a group, they look more than a year older and slower. They're also badly missing glue guy Bob Sura, who's likely out for the season with his own back torment, and have since lost Jon Barry and Rafer Alston for the short term.

The list keeps going. Swift was billed as an impact signing, but his snail-slow transition to Van Gundy's system has quickly resuscitated all the old concerns about Swift's work ethic and basketball IQ. The Rockets made three great trades last season to find pieces that snapped in around T-Mac and Yao -- acquiring important pieces David Wesley, Barry and Mike James -- but the first trade they swung this season (James for Rafer Alston) looks like a rare coup for beleaguered Toronto Raptors general manager Rob Babcock.

The Rockets' formerly solid shooting and team defense have also been suspect, but Van Gundy -- with two seasons left on his contract after this one -- hasn't had to answer for any of it. Yet.

He also, not surprisingly, doesn't disagree with the new theory that the Rockets were too highly regarded by the prognosticators.

Asked if he has at least seen glimpses of the Rockets so many of us envisioned in McGrady's seven games, Van Gundy said: "That's presupposing that your guys' [visions] were the same as mine. I wouldn't confuse those two.

"I saw us as a team that lost a very valuable component in Sura and had older players that had a resurgent year [last season]. When you think that will automatically duplicate itself, that is an assumption that is very risky.

"I wasn't as bold as some because I also know how fragile it is."

Said Barry: "Obviously no one expected us to get off to this kind of start, but I think our coach expected it with the way we kind of cruise-shifted through the preseason. I think we [as a team] just thought that because we made some good additions and had our core back that everything was going to be peaches and cream. It never works likes that.

"Each one of us has to say that we're tired of this crap. I know we're better than this."

Such sentiments should encourage Van Gundy.

But the risk for a hard-driving, pessimistic coach like Van Gundy is that a team will eventually choose to tune out before it fights on.

Hearing Van Gundy publicly pooh-pooh the grandiose forecasts about these Rockets only supports the idea that he's too controlling and negative and bound to wear on his players. Yet McGrady forcefully scoffs at the suggestion that he or anyone else in the locker room is growing weary of Van Gundy's frequent harangues.

"He's a great coach and he knows his [expletive]," McGrady said. "If we could just go out there and do what he tells us each and every day ... we will be successful.

"We have the utmost respect for coach. ... It doesn't bother us when our coach calls us out. He's just doing his job."

As the tired eyes suggest, Van Gundy is obviously trying as hard as he can with a roster that, unlike brother Stan's in Miami, doesn't exactly offer an Alonzo Mourning-level counter to a major injury.

Peers have often described him as inflexible, but his Houston history contradicts the notion. He allowed the Rockets to play more a wide-open game last season than seen with the Knicks, and this season Van Gundy is starting a rookie (Luther Head) he hadn't even planned on playing much, in the quest to find some footspeed.

For weeks he has lamented Houston's effort and focus and countless breakdowns in pick-and-roll defense. Yet you ask Van Gundy about individual strugglers, such as Yao and Swift, and he defends them vigorously. Yes, even Swift.

"To continue to dissect ourselves for public consumption is fruitless," Van Gundy said. "I just think, right now, we've all been dissected enough.

"In the NBA," he adds, "things can change from good to bad and from bad to good very quickly."

Said McGrady: "This was a top-five team before everything started happening to us. You weren't wrong. I thought this was going to be a real special year for this team.

"Now we're in a deeper hole than we were last year at the start of the season ... but I still think there's a good chance that we can get to where we want to by the end of the season. I think we have what it takes to be at that next level if we are healthy and if we're focused and that's what he is emphasizing every day."

He being the famously hard-to-please coach who, let's face it, would probably look troubled if the Rockets were 11-4.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I wanted to say that this is a great article and it makes me feel better... but the only thing that makes me feel good right now are more wins. The more the better. Oh, a thrashing of the Mavs next time we meet them would help too.

3. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

4. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Great article. I respect JVG and hope that he can figure out a way to simplify winning.

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

The only approval rating that matters is the one that comes from his star player.

"He's a great coach and he knows his [expletive]," McGrady said. "If we could just go out there and do what he tells us each and every day ... we will be successful.

"We have the utmost respect for coach. ... It doesn't bother us when our coach calls us out. He's just doing his job."

6. RocketsFAN3035

some quick thoughts I had from reading this article.....

Now with that being written, can the crap about "JVG refuses to adjust" and "he is to stubborn to play rookies/best players (most cases refering to Stro)" end now? He backs up all his guys. The "doghouse theory" about players going on the IL because they are in the dog house needs to stop. You really think that Sura, Barry, or Alston are in the doghouse? Yeah its great playig with like 9 guys on the team. This is stupid. I think we are going to get on track here this next strech in December.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

Nope, the only approval rating that matters is the one that comes from the owner. Had Le$ not made that terrible mistake this past offseason, Mr. Van Gundy's seat would be warming faster than an automobile in August. As-is, it is only starting to simmer.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Seriously, did he bit**-slap your mama or something? It's amazing how antagonistic you are to JVG, I really don't understand it at all. You don't even ever post on this forum unless it's a JVG thread that discusses some aspect of his coaching, and whenever you chime in it's to redicule his coaching or remind people that he needs to go.

Grow the hell up and move on, it's getting past annoying. :rolleyes:

9. RocketsFAN3035

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said :D

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

Perhaps if you removed your lips from whatever piece of Mr. Van Gundy's anatomy they are attached to...

:D

11. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Give it up you guys. We could win the remainder of our games and get the number 1 seed, and win the championship without a single loss in the playoffs. Then, we could proceed to win the next 19 championships with perfect playoff records and perfect 82-0 regular seasons.

edc would still say something like, "It just goes to show you that even a horrible coach like Mr. Van Gundy can be a part of an invincible 20-year dynasty." ;)

It's all about perception...and he clearly doesn't like JVG.

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

Sorry, I've never referred to Mr. Van Gundy as a horrible head coach.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, it's quite obvious. He's not a Houston Rockets fan. Same as with fans that post negative comments regarding Yao's lack of touches even when the Rockets win. YOF, VGH- these abbreviations have come about for a reason, and it's simply to distinguish those who are fans and those who ain't. He'll retort by spouting off about how he's followed the Rockets since the 1980s and how much he loves McGrady, Ming, Olajuwon, Drexler, blah, blah. But the proof's on the board- when 99+% of your posts denigrate the coach of your supposed favorite team, and you never post anything positive about the team, you're not a fan. I think that's fair criteria. He'll disagree, and he has every right to, of course, which he'll point out, as well. I'm all for opinions, I think they're great, but it's fairly obvious to see who's fair in their assessment and who's got the brown-colored glasses on.

14. RocketsFAN3035

I'd rather have my lips on his rear than whatever lemon your sucking on......

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rafer Laston, I have good news and bad new for ya.

Good News: You were traded from Toronto, away from Sam Mitchell, who is ranked #26 out of the 30 head coaches in the NBA.

Bad News: We are trading you to play under the guy ranked #29. The deal with the team which has the guy ranked #30, did not work out.

16. dandorotik

But those ratings are so "now." Go on an 8-game winning streak and suddenly he'd be at #15 or higher.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

nope agree with texas stoke

your wrong, as usual

18. edc

edc Contributing Member

dandorotik, the "Mr. Van Gundy Only Fan."

Anyone who thinks it is a good thing the Rockets have more representation from the losing-side of their first championship cannot be a fan of the organization...

19. dandorotik

I'll tell you what- I supported Tom Nissalke, Bill Fitch, Don Chaney, Rudy Tomjanovich, Larry Smith, and Jeff Van Gundy. With some exceptions, I feel the majority of coaches in the NBA do a very good job in teaching the game, managing egos, and handling other matters. Are some better than others? Sure. But in my humble opinion, there's not a great deal of difference. Was Don Chaney too lenient? Possibly. Was Bill Fitch a stern task master? Hell yes. Go ask Hakeem or Larry Bird about Fitch. He makes Van Gundy look like a benevolent coach.

On the championship-only angle, I don't look at John Stockton, Bob Lanier, Charles Barkley, or other great players who haven't won a championship as any less than the likes of Steve Kerr, Robert Horry, and A.C. Green. That's just my criteria.

I've supported ALL of the Rockets' coaches, even those who I felt weren't doing perhaps the best job (Chaney). To me, I don't get caught up in all that "Oh, those were the days.." like you and others do. Sure, they were great, but I've learned to enjoy other teams and tenures as well.

But, like I said, all this is irrelevant. The proof is in the posts. You go look at my posts and you'll see that I praise when praise is warranted and criticize in the same manner. I don't care what EDC says, the proof is in the posts. I think it's fair to reach a conclusion that someone is more of a JVG hater than a Rockets fan when 99+% of their posts are based on a negative critique of JVG's coaching. If EDC can't see that, then it's obvious he's seriously deluded. Really, it's a moot point. I think Van Gundy is doing a mediocre job this year and certainly should have his team better than 4-11, and he'd be the first to admit this. Yet, when the Rockets make the playoffs, I'll be the first to give him credit along with the players. Can I say that others will do the same? Probably not.

Nope, PIITP.

20. dandorotik

Besides, I would think that the NY Knicks would be one of the teams that we are least likely to dislike. Seems to me that we have much more reason to hold a grudge against Seattle, Utah, LAL, Phoenix, Dallas, and San Antonio than a team we hardly ever play and who immediately brings up images of championships.

I think it's a good thing that the Rockets hired a good coach- whoever that coach hires as his assistants is his prerogative- most coaches bring their boys with them, so the representation thing is a bit ridiculous.

Fine- your definition of a fan is conditional, mine is less so. So be it. PIITP.