1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Rockets emerging as serious threat to sign Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

So you comin?

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

**** yeah lets do it m8 ill bring the booze and shatter

FTW Rockets FTW and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Why is everyone acting like giving CP3 the max is a bad idea? He's gonna age like Nash. He'll still be worth the max at 36 when his contract is up for sure.

4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

First off, haven't we seen what Harden playing off the ball looks like recently? I realize that Lawson is no CP3, but are there not qualms from anyone here about trying this experiment again? At an even pricier tag nonetheless?

Secondly, giving up is something that Harden would do, but are NFL teams that punt on 4th down simply giving up? Or are they waiting for another opportune time to strike back? The Bulls punted. The Pacers will punt. The Clippers will punt. The Celtics are in the best possible spot of any team to develop the next superior team we see, acquiring the assets they have, give Ainge credit. I bet Morey would agree.

#104 forchette49, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Jontro likes this.
  5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Seems like Stein wants clicks and it worked

6. StrawberryJamm

Could anyone with knowledge of the cap fill me on whether or not a scenario in which we traded out our big long term contracts of Anderson, Gordon, and Beverly this summer, signed Chris Paul to his max, extended Harden to his max, then add no contracts running past 2018. Would it be possible to have max LeBron room after GS wins again?

7. malakas

malakas Member

Great news! Hopefully we find someone to take on Anderson in the first days of FA.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol even if chris paul plays 2 years of his 4 year contract, it's better than whatever the hell mediocrity/pretender status the rockets are going to be without adding another star of his caliber. I would rather have two crappy years if it meant i was gonna compete for two than never have a chance in four years.

tbw914, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 7 others like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If CP3 gets injured...then no chance either.

10. threepointshot3

If we manage to sign CP3 it means we will have Gordon and CP3 on the same team since the floppers traded EGod for CP3.The irony wont be lost on the Floppers fans

11. dream2franchise

I was there with you, but with the increasing possibility Paul joins the team I've tried to reconsider the issue of fit, and Harden playing off the ball. Given the choice of additional player, for me it would be Millsap. Paul George is the best fit of them all, but I'm so wary of the rental situation with him that I'd hate to risk losing so much.

I find it odd that we're chasing Paul considering our guard play was fantastic last season, but lets look at some reasons he and Harden could work:

- He's a top twelve player in the league. If you can get one, you get him.
    - He's still a great defender. So we lose nothing defensively replacing Beverley with Paul on that end.
    - He's an elite playmaker. So yes, both Harden and Paul need the rock, but Harden showed that every possession, every game is just too much to handle over the season. With Paul they can play together and have their minutes staggered.
    - D'Antoni is no McHale. Harden looked terrible off the ball with Lawson, but I think given some direction from the coach, and a plan of attack to follow, Harden may buy in and become a serious off ball threat. Having an elite playmaker means Harden can trust him to make the right call, and I love the idea of Harden as a decoy freeing up whatever shooters we have left.
    - Paul's Midrange is money and I'm hoping MDA can utilise that as a point of attack so we don't look so predictable on offense. This was touched on in the latest pod, I think.

So there's some potential greatness here. Ideally, we add Millsap and keep as much of our roster intact as possible. I loved our team last season.

But that's just not going to happen.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

To be honest I don't know how Paul fits with Harden.... but if you can add a superstar, you do that and ask questions later...I trust MDA is going to put people in position to make the most in his offense. Trust it 100%. That's why not too worried about the Paul fit. When Chris Paul comes... that is going to open the gates for other rotational and possibly stars to come together and become a force. It all starts with our man and real MVP James Harden. He is willing and ready, so we make it work from there. Excited about FA; go Rockets.

Harden recognizes that Paul is an elite PG.. and could possibly do what Harden did, but better (assist wise). Hear me out...James Harden goes back to playing the 2 for most of the game. He is more rested, he can spot up, and he can create when he has the ball. That can only happen if the offense is in the hands of an elite point guard who can also create and pass at an elite level, i.e. Chris Paul.

I just do not like the fact that Eric Gordon trade talk. To me personally, Eric Gordon and James Harden are the only 2 people on this offense that fit like a glove. The fit in this offense is a match made in heaven, he makes the Rockets deadly off the bench as a true elite 6th man. I would hate to see Lou leave too, but rather Ariza, Anderson, Bev, Lou, Dekker first as trade asset than Eric Gordon.

I hope the Clippers are entertaining sign and trade possibilities because this will open up a plethora of opportunities for the Rockets in terms of adding talent around Harden and Paul... Even if the Clippers dont, I hope the Hawks (yes I think Griffin doesnt want to play with CP, so Milsap is the next best thing) will be entertaining S&T possibilities.

Last but not least, if Paul is in the fold, they both should reach out to PG and let him know what we are trying to do here in Htown, so he can let his preference be known, even it doesnt matter. Possbilities are endless, and with darell Morley in the cut, he can get creative.

Last but not least, IDC what anyone says...... Lets hope Carmelo gets bought out after all of this..... the choice to join us on the cheap would be the easiest decision he has ever made in his life.

P.S: I said beginning of last year that RYNO contract will be toxic very soon. Look where we are now. I hope it turns into a positive for us.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

The good news here is also that Harden really wants him, that means he understand some of his limits and he's willing so sacrifice something to play in a better team.

14. StrawberryJamm

Entering into 2018 free agency with James Harden, Chris Paul, and max cap space is a legit scenario and no one is talking about it.

Why would Chris Paul have real interest in Houston?

Why would we risk trading for Paul George and him potentially walking?

Why would we ever trade Patrick Beverly or Eric Gordon?

How could any team possibly compete with Golden State in the next 3 years?

Would LeBron ever consider leaving Cleveland to join a super team that could win a championship?

Could a GM say the term "something up my sleeve" it not be Lebron, and not sound like an *******?

I know it's far fetched but so is everyone in the NBA just giving up and handing Golden State the title the next 5 years.

bilaal14 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

17. malakas

malakas Member

so who are we calling except the Kings?

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You know, other teams. I mean there's the Kings, there's Sacramento, there's Sac-Town, there's the "queens"...you know, lots of teams. Quite the market for ryno. Believe me.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would not surprise me if nobody wants him. Likely bought out from own pockets.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

THISSSSSSSSSSS..... Paul and Lebron have wanted to play together for a long time. They both know time is off the essence. If the Cavs flame out this year, look for LB23 to consider teaming up with a super team, more than likely with us to play back seat to James and getting a real chance at the ship. Makes tons of sense. Pipe dream. IDC

StrawberryJamm likes this.