1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stay classy, LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Mar 15, 2011.

1. worzel gummidge

An organization like the Jazz takes care of their people without having to self-promote it. Sterling not so much...
    http://journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/article_efc79902-4ebd-11e0-8c1b-001cc4c002e0.html

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That's cold. They'd ****ing let a man die like that just because they are too cheap to pay the bill? Kudos to the players; **** the owners.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The kind of pub might cause Stern to move into action and free the Clippers from DTS. He is an embarrassment. Major props to Maggette, Kaman, Brand and Jaric.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I gained respect for Brand, Magette and company

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

honestly Stern is always concerned about the image the NBA puts on yet he continues to allow Sterling to run the clippers as one of the worse organizations in all of sports from a business ethics and winning standpoint.

How soon until he forces Sterling to do something? For that matter the other owners should say something too they are being reflected upon poorly in this as well.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Brand, Maggette, Kaman and Jaric: Robbing from the rich and giving to the needy.

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Thank you for sharing that.

8. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

[​IMG]

Get it done Moreyyy. JK.

9. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

And this is exactly the kind of stuff that the Clippers are known for and why DeAndre Jordan will seek employment elsewhere come the offseason as will Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Randy Foye, Mo Williams, etc. as soon as they get a chance to leave.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

As if we needed more proof that Sterling is a pathetic excuse for a human being.

11. crzyxballer03

crzyxballer03 Member

How do we know which of the other teams, if any, would cover a cost like that? I bet the Clippers aren't the only ones.

12. SunsRocketsfan

this is a good point. Maybe Sterling never even knew about it or heard about his situation. I imagine Sterling doesn't make the Medical Insurance decisions. He most likely purchased insurance for all his employees and the insurance company decides what is covered and not covered.

Now it would be different if he approached Sterling for some help and he shot him down.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'm not sure it's within Stern's power to force Sterling out. Does NBA's constitution (or whatever establishes the relationship between the league and its teams) have a clause allowing an owner to be forced out for douch-baggery?

Economically, though, I think having a Sterling-type owner probably hurts the image of the league and its revenue. I am not how by how much, though-- most fans probably would still watch the Clips because they like Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon even if they dislike Sterling since they don't have to see the owner for the most part. On the other hand, George Shinn's shenanigans definitely hurt the Hornets and the NBA's standing in the Charlotte market.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm always looking for a chance to criticize Sterling, but I think you're right; this story doesn't smell right. It seems unlikely that the Clippers are self-insuring, so it was probably an insurance company that shot him down. From the way the story goes, my suspicion is that this second doctor/hospital isn't in the network. He could have waited for the first doctor and been covered (though sounds like that would have been a bad move).

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's $70,000. That's pocket change for these owners. Besides... they could just help the ailing party and just sell it off as a huge PR stunt.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Great story. Respect to these players. I don't care how much they make.

17. Jimes

Jimes Member

So you don't think this quote was true? Sounds like the organization had control over what would be covered and what wouldn't.

18. mig0s

mig0s Member

Respect to Maggette, Brand, Jaric and Kaman.

I wonder how much Kim Hughes makes though

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm going to focus on the positive aspect of this story here and say that it was just great of those guys to do such a thing. It may just be one game's pay for most of them, but it is still nice to see athletes putting other people before themselves once in a while.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Sterling owns the Clippers tho right. Does Stern have power to force him to sell the team?