1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statistical analysis proving Olajuwon the best playoff player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by elrond, Mar 23, 2017.

1. elrond

elrond Member

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This should only count retired players. As all great players have years at the end where they fall off in the playoffs.
    • Hakeem is the 6th leading scorer (PPG) in the playoffs for retired players
    • Hakeem has the largest jump in pts between Playoff and Regular Season games of any player in history. He scored >4 ppg more.

25.90 Playoffs
      21.77 Regular Season
      ------------------------------
      +4.13 ppg more in the playoffs (#1 of all time)

Also, Hakeem scored 26.6 PPG in the playoffs for the Rockets.

#3 heypartner, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Tha_Dude likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

The numbers are clear

5. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's pretty cool. I think he's already regarded as a top 3-5 playoff performer of all time.

But I do have issues with the formula. Why is everything given a 9% weight? And then including win shares, which is kind of like double counting.

7. the shark

the shark Member

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

Hopefully the idiot who posted a thread about "Harden making Hakeem obsolete" takes notice (along with the 18 bozo's who have agreed with him as of 10:19pm on 3/23/17).

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

roger that, duly noted

#8 Os Trigonum, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    FTW Rockets FTW and heypartner like this.
  9. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I think Dream's ability to perform at even higher levels in the post season is another underrated aspect of his career.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Hakeem recommends ballet arts while playing basketball. It's where two polarizing activities come together in harmony.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because the other weighting system was biased against guards.

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm pretty skeptical of a formula that implies scoring efficiency and foul frequency are equivalently valuable measures of a player (among many other questionable assumptions). Although I can't quite tell from his description, it also seems like in using eFG% instead of TS%, you'd want another measure of how much they scored from the free throw line, but his free throw metric is just pure shooting percentage - this would penalize Jordan and by extension, guys like Harden and Westbrook who derive a large portion of their scoring efficiency from not their FT%, but their FT attempt volume.

I take it as a mildly interesting but not particularly conclusive study - if you mush together some stats in this arbitrary way, Hakeem is the stattiest.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It's obvious this guy has no background in analytics and is just a fan putting things together. I appreciate the effort, but this is an extremely shallow analysis that puts really arbitrary weights on things without any real insightful thought. He's also putting a weight on win shares which is a stat that already puts different weights on different stats. He called eFG% effective field goal percentage per game for god's sakes.

Again, appreciate the effort, pretty cool that Hakeem comes out on top, but this is a silly analysis.

AirBud#10 likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Free throws can be harder to come by in the playoffs. Explains why David Robinson and Karl Malone struggled in the postseason. They got so many fouls in the regular season.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I have been saying this for years concerning Harden. Just a simple eye test will indicate that James is officiated differently in the playoffs and is predictive that he will need his teammates to step up if we are to go far. Harden is absolutely mugged in the playoffs especially on the road. I hope it is different this year or that Harden's sheer determination to win can overcome it this year.

fba34 likes this.
  16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Sure, I don't disagree. That said, there's still a big difference between, say, Playoff Robinson (7.9 attempts @ 71%) and Playoff Kidd (3.0 attempts at 78%) and this metric would rate Kidd as "better" in free throws than the Admiral even though they were a big boost to Robinson's overall offensive game (even in the playoffs) and an afterthought to Kidd.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

David Robinson career regular season FT rate: .577
    David Robinson career playoff FT rate: .602

James Harden career regular season FT rate: .548
    James Harden career playoff FT rate: .550

Karl Malone did shoot less free throws in the playoffs (.503 vs. .458), but f*ck Karl Malone, serves him right.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wonder if that .550 rate is the same for playoffs solely with the Rockets? I am very surprised. If it is the same with the Rockets then I must have let my emotional ties to the team cloud my eyes.

19. Mr. Clutch

Well free throw rate is based on field goal attempts, and he also shot less in the playoffs. Per 36 minutes, his free throws declined from 8.6 to 8.2.

Not as much as expected, but 94-95 his free throws dropped from 10 per 36 minutes to less than 8.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That's why you have to look at rates. If you should less, of course you'll get fouled less, doesn't mean they're officiating differently.