1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Pitching injuries

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mkahanek, Sep 5, 2016.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I blame Hinch.

Damn you Hinch!

2. Major

Major Member

You wanted to move Fiers so Devenski or Musgrove could go into the rotation. If you wanted a front-end starter, how does that happen?

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We can all cherry pick posts and say what we want...nice job of that, congrats

What I wanted, and posted very much about, was us to use some of the prospects (Musgrove included) for a front line starter. Personally, I don't think our "window" is necessarily open for 8 years or whatever length of time people want to use. It certainly "could" be, but we just don't know how it will play out

Now, if that wasn't going to happen then I certainly wanted Devenski or Musgrove in the rotation over Fiers. What I didn't want was us to just give away a guy like Feldman for a prospect that, if he does pan out, is at least 4 years away. I want us to put the best team we possibly can on the field NOW

In the offseason I'm going to want us to make moves to make us better in 2017, not 2018 or 2019 or 2030 or whatever. This can be done without "selling the farm" as some put it. You simply put the top emphasis on the major league roster.

Plenty disagree with that philosophy and that is fine, but that's where i'm at with our organization right now. Continue to add talent to the system, continue to draft well, continue to add through the international system...but when moves are made that involve the 25/40 man roster, they should be made 100% on what will make us better right now

4. The Beard

Fister isn't making more than Feldman

Fister was our most consistent starter

Feldman was a middle relief guy, but one that is versatile and could help if we possibly had pitching injuries down the road

It would have been incredibly stupid to move Fister for prospects

Moving Feldman wasn't a move that was made with making the playoffs in 2016 in mind, it was one made that we can save some cash, add a prospect, and possibly replace him with minor league guys that could do what he was doing

I was against moving Feldman then, and I very much wish we still had him right now

But comparing moving him then, and if we would have moved Fister, is a bit insane

5. The Beard

Regardless, anyone who says we should have moved Fister is still stuck in 2013

*** And yes I know it was simply brought up to try and make the fact that I didn't like the Feldman trade stupid

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I would have traded him.

7. The Beard

I'm just more worried about winning NOW I guess

To each their own

8. juicystream

I'm worried about winning now and in the future. I believe the team would be better with Chris Devenski in the rotation over Fister or Fiers. If a team was looking for a cheap controllable pitcher, I was would have been interested in moving Fiers. If a team believed Doug Fister was a 3.5 ERA pitcher, I was willing to move him. I'm glad he is still here given the injury to Keuchel.

I was very disappointed by the deadline, but moving a veteran superfluous piece for something is a deal that made sense to me. I felt the team didn't really get worse in the present, and maybe set themselves up to better in the future.

9. The Beard

Ends up Feldman probably would have come in handy right about now, that's all i'm saying

10. juicystream

You want to talk about missing Feldman, last night certainly would have helped to have him (though he probably would have started the night before if available).

The injuries are really piling up.

Doesn't help that Musgrove is already at a career high in innings, so they are trying to reduce his workload. Basically using a 6 man rotation for at least this one rotation.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Was thinking the exact same thing last night about Feldman.

I don't care how they try to spin it (IMO) it was an opportunity to save some $$.

12. juicystream

I doubt money was the driving factor. I'm sure a combination of money, prospect, roster space, and him being superfluous at the time is why the deal was made.

13. No Worries

September starting pitching:

9/8 Paulino 3.0 IPs
    9/7 Fister 4.1 IPs
    9/6 Peacock 3. IPs
    9/5 Fiers 5.0 IPs
    9/4 McHugh 4.1 IPs
    9/3 Musgrove 4.1 IPs
    9/2 Fister 3.2 IPs

14. HTM

HTM Member

Yea... no team has any real chance without there No. 1 and No.2

Brutal

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Forget about 1-2 production... this is like 8-10 production.

Even with a 1-2, this sort of run is just unacceptable to a team trying to be in contention.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

As much young talent as the Astros have, their pitching talent looks thin compared to the other contenders.

17. Airdough

Airdough Member

The Astros aren't the only contending team to deal with injuries. Their problem is that their starting pitching depth has been underwhelming. The pitching will either pick up here over this homestand or they'll need a miracle run in the last 16 to have a chance.

It's likely going to take 90 wins to get into the playoffs. That's a 16-6 kick to finish the year.

18. No Worries

What playoff teams can lose their #1 and #2 starters and keep pace with their #6 and #7 starters?

This is just bad luck for the Astros. It is what it is.

19. juicystream

If anything, it has kind of been impressive.

20. Buck Turgidson

Right? The ~20 starts made by the not-top-5 have been quite tolerable. The problem has been the top-5.