1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Start your picken

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sir scarvajal, Apr 20, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

, and I am not talkin about your nose. This thread is similar to playoff forcasts, but I wanted to post a system to seeing who picks best.

Here is the system: you get 2 points for picking the winner of the series, but lose 1 point for every game you are off. So if you pick the Lakers 3-1 over Sac, but they sweep, then you get +2 - 1 = 1. Again if you pick the Lakers 3-1 over Sac, and Sac was to win in 5 (2-3). You would get 0 (didn't pick the winner) - 1 (for missing one Laker win) - 2 (for missing 2 Sac wins) = -3. You can pick winners after each round of play, but make sure it is before the predicted round has began.

Here is my first round:

Lakers 3-0
    Blazers 3-2
    Sonics 3-2
    Spurs 3-2

Pacers 3-1
    Heat 3-1
    Knicks 3-2
    Char 3-2

Here's my thinking--I really don't like Seattle that much, but Payton and the Seattle's defense provides the right kind of match-up againt Utah. Utah squekked by the first round last year, but not this year. Not having Shandon's athleticism comes back to haunt too. Plus, Baker, Grant and McCoy are enough bodies to throw at Malone.

The Spurs match-up is tough to call beacuse of injuries, the Suns win is Duncan can't go. Spurs may sweep if he can and Kidd never gets his shot.

Wolves-Blazers will be the series to watch. Remember the Wovles were the toughest on the Spurs last year in the West.

Lakers no problem over Sac. Sac can't play defense (2 easy wins by the Lakers at home) and can't execute down the stretch (Lakers edged them in Game 3 at Arco for the sweep).

In the east, I think NY-Toronto is the toughest to call. NY is the most talented team in the east but Toronto has great swingmen too and the veteran bodies to battle down low. I go with NY because of experience, but it goes 5.

Pacers win in 4 not beacuse they are that good, but Milwalkee & Detriot are just the 2 marginal playoff teams this year.

The Heat play way too good defense and Detriot is too 2-dimensional (Hill/Stack) to do much.

Charlotte has a front court Phily can't handle, more depth, and a decent guy to play a banged up Iverson in Jones. Doesn't look like a good combination for Phily this year.

------------------

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Ok, I'll take a stab at it.

Lakers 3-0
    Blazers 3-2
    Utah 3-1
    Spurs 3-2

Pacers 3-1
    Heat 3-1
    Knicks 3-1
    Char 3-2

Somehow, I think the Jass will pull through, at least in the first round.

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I AM GOING WITH SOME BOLD PICKS HERE:

WEST
    Lakers 3-2
    Sonics 3-2
    Blazers 3-1
    Spurs 3-2

EAST
    Pacers 3-1
    Heat 3-1
    Knicks 3-2
    76ers 3-1

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited April 20, 2000).]

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll put my predictions in the machine:

Lakers 3-1
    Jazz 3-1
    TWolves 3-2
    Spurs 3-1

Pacers 3-0
    Heat 3-1
    Knicks 3-2
    Hornets 3-1

------------------

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Here's my guess:

LA 3-1

Blazers 3-2

Utah 3-0

San Antonio 3-2

Pacers 3-0

Detroit 3-1

Knicks 3-2

Charlotte 3-2

And when I finish last, everyone can laugh at me.

------------------

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

sir scarvajal,

Lakers 3-1
    Twolves 3-2
    Sonics 3-2
    Spurs 3-1

Pacers 3-0
    Heat 3-1
    Tor 3-2
    Charl 3-1

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

There are really some great matchups this year...too bad the Rockets couldn't have made it. I think they really could have given some teams trouble with their full court style.

Lakers-Kings: This is the playoffs, and that behind-the-back, no-look crap doesn't work this time of year. Kobe and Ron Harper will demolish the patheticly overrated backcourt of JWilliams and Nick the Brick. Shaq turns it up another notch and abuses Divac. Webber has his moments, but he can't carry the Kings by himself.
    Outcome: Lakers 3-0

Wolves-Blazers: This should make for a fun matchup. I don't see the Blazers as having any single players who can carry the team on his shoulders. Garnett, on the other hand could possibly destroy the $33million frontline of Wallace,Pippen,Grant. Steve Smith should be able to keep the series close.
    Outcome: Wolves 3-2

Sonics-Jazz: Who cares? Malone's good enough to win 2 games by himself, but in the end, the Anderson-less Jazz have noone to contend with Payton,Lewis,Patterson. It doesn't matter...whoever wins this series, will just end up getting swept in the next round.
    Outcome: Sonics 3-2

Spurs-Suns: If Jason Kidd (and Tom Gugliotta) were healthy this would be a fun matchup, and a series I think the Suns could easily win. Instead, it's going to be very tough without the game's best playmaker. Penny and Kevin Johnson are good enough to have their way with the aging Spurs perimeter, but in the end...you have to have big men.
    Outcome: Spurs 3-1

Pacers-Bucks: The Bucks are pretty, but they don't know how to play in the postseason. It's about defense, and they don't play any of that. Rose should have his way with Big Dog.
    Outcome: Pacers 3-0

Pistons-Heat: Upset. Hopefully watching Hill and Stackhouse destroy his perimeter will persuade Riley to clean house. Zo will be tough to handle, but can he keep his emotions under control? Hill and Stackhouse will be too much for Zo to singlehandedly outscore.
    Outcome: Pistons 3-2

Knicks-Raptors: Sprewell-Carter/Houston-McGrady will be fun to watch. However the Knicks just have too much firepower/defense/experience. LJ, Camby, Ewing, and Childs is too much to handle.
    Outcome: Knicks 3-1

Philly-Charlotte: I just see Allen Iverson as being that Jordan type of player who excels in the most unlikely situations. Torn rotator cuff, broken toe, bum elbow and all, he will rise to the challenge against Eddie Jones. Ratliff and Geiger against Mason and Coleman will be fun. However, Kukoc will be the difference in this series.
    Outcome: Philly 3-2.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited April 20, 2000).]

8. Mango

thacabbage,

More out on the limb than I am.

Mango

------------------

Donate Blood

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Alright, this is it! Anything added after the first game starts tomorrow will not count! Everybody take note of the picks and watch for people trying to go in and change up after the fact! It looks like me, Hoop-T, and cabbage have already edited our predictions, so you better take special notice of ours. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

10. Mango

Dreamshake,

I know you are out there, so lets hear it.

Mango

------------------

Donate Blood

11. TheFreak

Sir, are you in charge of keeping track of these?

Lakers vs. Kings -- Lakers 3-0

Spurs vs. Suns -- Spurs 3-1

Jazz vs. Sonics -- Jazz 3-1

Blazers vs. Wolves -- Blazers 3-1

Pacers vs. Bucks -- Pacers 3-1

Hornets vs. Sixers -- Sixers 3-1

Heat vs. Pistons -- Heat 3-1

Knicks vs. Raptors -- Knicks 3-1

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited April 21, 2000).]

12. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Sure I'll keep up with the progress. I'll be out of town for over a week in late May so everyone may have to keep up to date then though. Everyone's picks should be posted (and no edits--so be sure at what you pick or be sure to make a new post before that next round if you do make a mistake).

The Cabbage, I agree with you completely in the West, differ quite a bit in the east. I think Sac has at best a 50/50 chance to win a single game, they have not been executing well. I also think like last year Utah is really the most susceptible top seed-unless of course Duncan can't play at least 80%. This is a very real possibility and would completely throw a wrench in the West. Losing Shandon will really hurt this time around, especially against Seattle's athletes. Of course Seattle can be a strange playoff team and fall apart bickering at each other. But I am hedging my bet that they are focused for this series and they implode next round.

For the East I just don't like Detriot or Milwalkee at all. Indiana and Miami just seem too balanced in my book. Phily screwed my picks last year, but I am still not a believer and think they are banged up. We will see, what scares me is Larry Brown gets his teams playing well in the playoffs..

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited April 21, 2000).]

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Here are my picks. I know two of the 8 Game 1's are over with right now, but I promise you this is what I've thought from the start. (before Miami and Phoenix won)

Lakers 3-2 over Kings
    Jazz 3-2 over Sonics
    Blazers 3-1 over Twolves
    Spurs 3-2 over Suns

Pacers 3-0 over Bucks
    Heat 3-0 over Pistons
    Knicks 3-2 over Raptors
    Philly 3-1 over Charlotte

------------------

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Well, DAY 1 in the books:

• Why didn't you tell me that Grant Hill had a bad ankle?! DHO! Already behind in the predictions!
    • Well excuse me, but I was under the impression that Tim Duncan would be ready for game 1. DHO!
    • How was I supposed to know that Karla would go off for 50? So much for Seattle taking advantage of Utah's athletic-disadvantage. DHO!
    • Atleast I got one right. So much for Eddie Jones stopping Iverson (40 points) eh?

All in all, a bad start to the playoffs for me. Hopefully, these guys will get their act together by GAME 2 so I won't lose too many points.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

15. TheFreak

I knew Duncan would be out Game 1 Cabbage, I still thought SA would take care of business. Even though he's missing game 2 as well, I still feel reasonably confident in my prediction (SA in 4). If SA can take game 2, it should be a massacre when TD comes back (praying that he comes back).

------------------

16. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I'll tell you, the first Suns-Spurs games was one of the worst playoff games I have seen. The quality of bastketball is down without the horses, no question. SA has to win tonight too. Remember JK may come back later in the series, and a hot shooting Suns team can beat anyone on a given day. We will see tonight if the Spurs have any chance at all, it will look like a 5-gamer if the Spurs can win tonight.

I am competely in trouble with the Sonics pick though. Westfall seems totally over-matched and GP just hasn't shown the dominance I expected.

Charlotte got a few break or I would have been dead again by the 6ers hands last night. Larry Brown gets that team ready to play--Iverson and the largerly average players around him really step up.

------------------

17. hos

hos Member

yo sir scar,
    is it too late for me to jump in? My predictions were made before game 1 of any of the series. One of my teammates challenged me to predict the outcome. If I am allowed to participate, this is my submission:

Indiana 3-0
    Miami 3-2
    New York 3-1
    Philly 3-1

LA 3-0
    Utah 3-1
    Minnesota 3-2
    Phoenix 3-1

As you can see, i didnĀ“t know G.Hill would not be playing, but i did anticipate the weakening of the Spurs with a hobbling-Duncan (if any).
    Minnesota is down 2-0, so it is still possible i could get some points for that series, but i doubt it. other than that, i like my chances.

peace,
    hos

------------------

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Lakers-Kings: Lakers too much for the Kings. May lose one game to Kings home court, but the Lakers are for real. To all of you who didn't want Rice for Pippen, close your eyes, he's the key to the whole playoffs. Look for him to score 25 plus at Sacramento in game 3, but they lose because Webber hits a long jumper at the top of the key.
    Outcome: Lakers 3-1

Wolves-Blazers: Garnett too Young. Pippen experienced. Everything favors the Blazers in this series. Pippen explodes in this series and the next. A lot to prove. Brian Grant begins to make his mark. Look for Garnett to go crazy in game three and get 17 rebounds, but only score 12 points on 4 for 15 shooting.
    Outcome: Blazers 3-0

Sonics-Jazz: Shandon anderson doesn't mean jack to the Jazz. They still have the big three in Hornacek, Stockton and Malone. That alone is enough to rout the sonics and their young players. Scary. Hornacek seals the deal with a deep three with 5:00 minuutes on the clock in game three. That puts it out of reach. Outcome: Jazz 3-0

Spurs-Suns: Robinson got the Spurs to the NBA semifinals a few years back. He's good enough to get them through maybe two rounds this year without Duncan. He's only taken a backseat to Duncan because he had too, but he is a leader and can take them to the promised land. Robinson goes for 25 a night until this one gets closed out. Hardaway struggles in game 4, but hits two clutch three throws to push them into overtime.
    Outcome: Spurs 3-1

Pacers-Bucks: Cassell has no support, but neither does Mark Jackson. Aging Pacers struggle, but win in game 5 on a late jumper by Reggie Miller. Who left him open? A sappy Glen Robinson walk off the court in disgrace.
    Outcome: Pacers 3-2

Pistons-Heat: Upset my ass. Heat roll. Pistons beat up on chumps at the end of season and they have no Center. That says it all. Zo moves on in a romp.
    Outcome: Heat 3-0

Knicks-Raptors: Knicks look as good as the Lakers at times. They have too much scoring punch for Carter. Young players suffer in the playoffs and so that means Toronto will be watching the remainder of the playoffs at home. That's the nature of the beast. Outcome: Kincks 3-2

Philly-Charlotte: Charlotte has a lot to play for. Home court can be ferocius at times and it seems to me they have a good mix of average players. Enough to win against a sloppy team. Iverson slops up the curt in decisive game on 7-25 shooting. He learns a valuable lesson in the process. Outcome: Charlotte 3-2.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

19. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Sure you can participate, if you are winning we may have to BobFinn your name of course (i.e., "*") [​IMG]

------------------

20. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Those dang 6ers did me in for the second year in a row. Will be a believer in Iverson + Larry Brown defense next year if they draw an even match-up.

Here is a quick update so far, more to come soon (also please check and make sure I scored you accurately):

SS -2
    MB -1
    HP +3
    JV -3
    HB -8
    MG -7
    CB -2
    FK +4
    CT +4
    HS +3* [​IMG]

The average score is around -1, if you are (and stay that way) on the positive side you are doing very well. The system is fairly brutal if you miss picking winners out right, so hang in there the leaders could through up a double or triple bogey real quick. Come on Sonics (never thought I would say those words)!!

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited May 02, 2000).]