Start Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm bored at work today......................

Looks like Mallett is better than Hoyer folks! And so is Osweiler! But we won't count these numbers because it doesn't fit your narrative.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Is Savage hurt yet? I thought with Romo's retirement he might have picked up a knock.

4. J.R.

J.R. Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ny-Romo-Texans-lack-a-plan-at-QB-11050893.php

Let me make this clear, the Texans are not "excited" about Savage.

They never have been.

They do like him. But he's also the starter by default.

If they were excited, Hoyer wouldn't have been signed. Mallett wouldn't have been allowed to sleep through the best shot of his life. Yates wouldn't have been re-signed. Osweiler wouldn't have been stolen from Denver for $72 million total. And Savage wouldn't have been intentionally placed on injured reserve for the entirety of the 2015 season, despite the fact he was healthy while Hoyer, Yates and Weeden were fighting the annual good fight for 9-7.

Heck, even when O'Brien was forced to choose between Osweiler and Savage during last year's playoffs, he still went back to Osweiler for a home wild-card game against a backup Oakland QB who'd never started before.

That does not define excited. That's running around in circles for three long seasons, always trying to survive, then finally settling on the one guy who was quietly waiting in the background the entire time.

If the Texans were truly ready to hand the ball - and O'Brien's fourth season - over to a QB with 92 career pass attempts, they never would have waited on Romo in the first place.

Three years after starting all this by handpicking Fitzpatrick, the Texans are worse off than they have ever been at QB under O'Brien. That sure is telling, considering all the weekly quarterback stories I've written since I started covering this team.

Savage is a good guy with a strong arm and great story. If I owned a J.J. Watt jersey, I'd pull for No. 3.

But the Texans could have given Savage their starting QB jersey any time the last three years. It took Osweiler failing for Savage to briefly touch it. It took Romo walking away from the NFL for the job to finally belong to him.​

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

eric.81 and J.R. like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-whats-next-for-the-texans-if-not-tony-romo/

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Drafting QBs is a crapshoot, you draft a 6'3" 240 lb. strongarm kid and hope you can coach him long enough to play.
    That's what you have in Savage. I don't think you can predict the regularity of injuries, although you know at some point they happen, moreso if your OL sucks.

Savage is going to play, Coach BOB is going to have him ready. The D should hold down the oppositon's scoring where "somewhat competent" wins. The way the NFL is now, I would run slants with picks every play. They only call it 1 in10 tiimes. Run Fuller fast and deep at the safety every play.

8. Fantasma Negro

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Rookie

I wouldn't mind having "Kinfolks" as our starter. Better option than Cutler and Kap imo.

Jatman20 likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Maybe; he's a considerably more expensive option, though - he'll cost you a long-term contract AND draft choices. Cousins isn't a bridge QB; you deal for him, it's ride or die.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

This is why I wasn't believing all that talk that OBrien didn't want Brock because he believed in Savage. No way Rick Smith did the trade if O'Brien said "I believe in Tom Savage. He is our starter ".

12. ballgame

ballgame Member

So, true! O'B and the The Texans held 2 pre-season scrimmages, 2014 and 2015, with Denver before they signed Osweiler. O'B saw Osweiler first hand.

So, Fitzpatrick, Mallett, Hoyer and Osweiler are all on O'BRIEN.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

I thought it was a scene from Sling Blade .

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I agree, he has earned it but if we did trade back, Id like Davis Webb before Kizer.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. EddieWasSnubbed

EddieWasSnubbed Contributing Member

I'm honestly fine with Savage starting. I'm just worried he'll get hurt. If healthy, he's better than Brock, for sure.

I just want a third guy on the roster in case of injury. Whether that's a rookie quarterback or someone like Cutler or Kap, I don't care. I think we'll wait until camp, if we don't have someone like Mahomes fall to us, and then we'll sign someone like Kap to a one or two year, earn it-type deal.

Honestly, I'm warming to the idea of TJ Watt in the first. That'd be great. Immediate plug and play starter with huge potential. Wouldn't mind Cam Robinson, either.

I honestly am just trying to keep an open mind. I don't think there's any way I'll be disappointed. Lol

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The one this organization does really well is nail its 1st round draft pick. So I'm on board with whatever they decide. QB, Oline, LB, DB...who cares? Get another 10 year starter and it's a homerun.

Yaosthirdleg and EddieWasSnubbed like this.