1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The question is whether McNair forced Brock on OBrien. All the stories and quotes show that OBrien was heavily involved in the decision and wanted him after watching tape.

I'm not denying that Rick and McNair also wanted him. But OBrien seems to be trying to weasel out of responsibility through his outlets like LaCaforna.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm not saying BOB is absolved, just that you were making it sound like there was no way BOB was not at fault. There is a good chance he is trying to weasel, but there is also a chance it was forced on him. Just saying that BOB's quotes are something I would expect every coach to say no matter which way it was.
    I will admit, BOB acting like a pissed off hoodie rubs me the wrong way. You need to win like hoodie to act like hoodie..
    Disclaimer: I am calling him hoodie because I don't want to look his name up and I always pick the wrong spelling.

3. Mr. Clutch

He would praise the signing even if Brock was forced on him, but I don't think he would talk about how he looked at tape and wanted him. Also, lots of reports about him having final say on 53 man roster.

And I do have to give OBrien credit for the good things. Savage, Fuller and Fiedo were his picks too, and he's developing them well it seems.

I think he just needs to chill on the dramatic moves like signing big contracts, trading away lots of picks, using Watt in the wildcat, etc.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well that's kind of a reach. Using your logic about OB talk, McNair is just saying what a good GM would say. Bill has final say over the roster. Or do you not believe that either? That alone indicates he has a major say in this signing. Let's say it was all McNair with the Brock idea, Bill can still say no

So how do you think it went down? Because I don't think its so out of this world that McNair gave free reign to OB/Smith to pick a QB. Its the simplest answer. Everything we've read points to that. But I don't see anything that has come out, rumors or facts, that suggest Bill was not on board and McNair forced Brock on Bill.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Definitely needs to chill the dramatic moves. And while some of his comments on tape and whatnot I agree with you could mean it was his decision, I don't think him having say in the 53-man roster is one of them. If the owner pays 37 mil for a QB and you hate him, you still put him on the 53-man.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think it was Rick Smith. He brought in Demps, he brought in Ed Reed, he does FA scouting. He also has friends at Denver. And as I said to Mr. Clutch. I know he has final say in 53 man roster, I do not dispute that, but what do you expect him to do? Put the newly signed 37 million dollar QB on the practice squad and tell McNair "I have final say" I'm sure that would work out great.

Also, I know it is a stretch, I was backing my argument as loosely as the one against BOB.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

with final say on the roster, I believe that means he has input on who gets signed or not. i don't think they would sign Brock without O'brien's consent. I mean, hes the one who has to coach the guy. That seems to be a recipe for a bad work environment and I don't think the Texans FO is that dumb. At least I hope not lol

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ugh..... The ol' "if you take away [insert everything negative that happened], the outcome was totally positive!" logic.

I hate it when fans use this logic. I hate it even more that our OWNER uses it.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ed Reed was Bob Mcnair, not Rick Smith.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

And JJ Watt was Wade Phillips, Rick wanted Aldon Smith.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...f47470826&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Whoa... are you saying the OWNER picked a free agent to go out and get?!?!?!

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-te...ers-downfield-threat-texans-have-been-missing

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He may not necessarily be the savior, but Tom has a stronger arm, softer touch, better accuracy, and more knowledge of the system than Brock. It's really kind of amazing that it took this long to get him in a game.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he's been hurt, so I'm sure that played a factor.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Better eyes. He can see the field.

He notices the middle linebacker THAT HE JUST POINTED AT PRE-SNAP and won't throw the ball right at him when he drops into coverage.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

unless its a DT that dropped back.. that would have sucked. I hope he kills it against Bengals.. maybe we should call Yates just in case.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Haha, that's what I yelled when Brock threw that second interception. "WHAT THE **** WERE YOU POINTING AT 5 SECONDS AGO?!"

Mr. Clutch likes this.