1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just curious, how many of our 6 losses do you think Savage would have changed? I would say for sure Chargers, possibly Denver. I think we still lose to Vikings (they were hot and our D couldnt stop them) and Pats (its the pats and our special teams cost us that one). Oakland and Green Bay are up for grabs. Green Bay was a snow storm and our defense wasnt stopping much but with that weather who knows. Oakland I think we could beat again right now, but it just seemed like everyone was determined to make us lose that game no matter who was playing QB.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're also in charge of who was sign and draft, B'OB

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure that's the right decision, gotta stick with the hot hand. Hopefully he keeps playing well.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well he drafted Savage. maybe hes a qb guru after all lol

houstonstime likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

don't go challenging bros in the locker room to bench press contests, mr. savage. stay healthy.

houstonstime likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

"BOB in charge of who to draft and sign" "BOB and Rick Smith watched tape separately to remain unbiased and picked Osweiler" "McNair only wanted a QB but never would have said I WANT BROCK"... either post some proof or I think you a McNair family member... out of all the people posting on who the blame lies with, you are posting the most, it is all against BOB and yet there has been no proof other than BOB saying things EVERY coach would say no matter who picked the QB.

Just because BOB didn't come out and say "McNair gave me Brock, I'm against it but what can I do..." doesnt mean he is the one who picked Brock.

8. Mr. Clutch

Just a start:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ns-among-five-teams-with-new-power-structures

Who's really in charge? The firing of Gary Kubiak brought the first big shakeup for McNair's organization in almost a decade. Smith survived the switch as the team's GM, and he still runs the draft and free agency. But just the same, it's clear that O'Brien carries a big stick coming aboard from Penn State, as evidenced by his securing contractual final say over the 53-man roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...l-structure-could-cause-a-coach-g-m-showdown/

One of the odd things about the Ryan Mallettfiasco is that coach Bill O’Brien shouldn’t need General Manager Rick Smith’s permission to cut Mallett. According to multiple reports, O’Brien has final say over the team’s 53-player roster.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-the-texans-stole-brock-osweiler-from-the-broncos/

Immediately after the season, according to McClain, Bill O'Brien immersed himself in film of Texans players and potential free agents. He came away believing Osweiler was "the right guy."

"We study all these guys," O'Brien said. "We watch their [regular-season] tape [and] their preseason tape. When you threw the tape on from [last season]. it was impressive. He played in some very tough games, some very meaningful games.

"It's not easy to be a starting quarterback in this league. It's one of the most difficult things in sports to do. I think we got the right guy."

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-te...ock-osweiler-understands-offense-like-a-coach

HOUSTON -- Texans head coach Bill O’Brien has been so impressed with Brock Osweiler that he gave him a high compliment: The quarterback, said O'Brien, understands the Texans offense like a coach.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...uisition-began-in-film-room-ended-6886807.php

O'Brien and Smith had agreed from the beginning that if there was a chance the Texans could get Osweiler, 25, they would vigorously pursue him.

After the Texans' 30-0 loss to Kansas City in the playoffs, O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks.

DieHard Rocket likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Mr. Clutch

O'Brien says "it's on me" only for stuff that's not really his fault and he won't get fired over, such as players playing like crap on the field.

He never says "it's on me" for the terrible decision to sign Brock. He leaks to the media that it was an ownership move.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Come on JR!

Why post that!!! Don't you know, Texans fans are terrible!!! The fourth largest city (soon to be third) should just feel lucky to have semi-professional football! This group is CLOSE and there is just too much negativity around here. BE PROUD OF YOUR -44 POINT DIFFERENTIAL FIRST PLACE TEAM THAT JUST BEAT THE COLTS AND JAGS IN BACK 2 BACK HUGE DIVISIONAL GAMES!!!!!!!

BATTLE FIGHT!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEXANSSSSSSSSS!!!

J.R. likes this.
  12. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

So, basically Bill likes everything that Brock doesn't do.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  13. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Not sure....Brock Quoteweiler can lay some cliches on some fools.

14. today

today Contributing Member

I'm hopeful that Savage can hold down the fort while our 2017 rookie QB is groomed.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wonder how quickly BO's TV ads start getting turned off? If Savage finishes the season strong, he may start getting some promo ops.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How about you post some proof that B'ob was not on board with Brock or we think you work for the Obrien family. McNair told them to go out and get a QB and Brock is what they (B'OB & Smith) came up with. This is on them.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1739013-tom-savage-breathes-life-texans

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is no proof. In either direction. Unless there is an insider here. You guys use Obrien's quotes to say he made the decision, but he is just saying what you would expect any coach to say. "I support this guy" "Never fear fans, this is our guy"

But I guess to make you feel better. Here are some links with quotes taken out of context that support my narrative:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-on-brock-osweiler-he-was-the-one-we-wanted/

Quarterback was our No. 1 priority,” McNair said, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. “He (Osweiler) was the one we wanted.

“He was the guy we wanted. Rick said he was going to get him, and he did. I’ve got to give him a lot of credit. He did a heck of a job.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ns-owner-on-brock-osweiler-dont-criticize-him

"I thought he played great," the Texans owner said of Osweiler, via the Houston Chronicle. "He played as well as his competitor did. If not for the passes that were dropped, his grade would have been higher than (Packers quarterback Aaron) Rodgers. Don't be critical of him. He played well."

Well, it's great to know that as the franchise's latest major investment, you still have the support of the owner.

You see how McNair praises him right there? That just screams it was all his decision to pick Brock.

If you read any of what I was saying, I don't usually have a view the opposite of whoever I quote, I just think it's crazy sometimes people are so headstrong in their opinion that they just say anything to get it across. Mr. Clutch and BTG are perfect examples lol. I love that they no longer speak to each other, but instead post passive aggressive posts directed towards the other, it's entertaining.

19. today

today Contributing Member

Considering that GB dropped 2 INTs, McNair should be happy with the grade Brock got, and not be talking about how our QB would have been rated higher than Rodgers.

I'm ready to have a superstar QB that McNair can blindly gush about and nobody will roll their eyes when he opens his mouth.

We need to draft the highest rated QB on New England's draft board. Forget scouts, we need spies!