1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Admitting you made a mistake might be as bad as losing with Brock for whomever (Smith/McNair/BO'B) wanted to sign him.

Thing is, benching Brock is not the same as giving up on him. Sometimes that's needed.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I look at it this way. We are paying two Quarterbacks. One is guaranteed huge sums of money through next year, and the other we have on contract through next season as well, but for much less. What does it matter who starts as long as the best man is in? If Savage learns from experience, which we have never given him, and plays better than Brock, then we are doing the right thing. We aren't paying any more money to start Savage, but we might actually find out he can really be good. We let them fight it out next year if need be, and draft a QB next year, whether people say there isn't one worth drafting or not. There is always someone worth drafting, and yes, sometimes nobody thought they were going to be really good. Just ask New England or Dallas about their QBs who everyone passed up on.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think it's a gap in logic to say, well if we move to Savage we admit error so we are going to keep making the same error of NOT moving on. What's the old saying...an error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it? Something like that. Run through the list of subpar QB talent that got us to 9 wins 2 seasons in a row. Is there ANYTHING that makes you believe Brick is about to get 3 wins in 5 games? That we are going to pull one out on the Colts or Titans as good as they are playing? The Packers? Bengals and Jags, I'll give em to you. Who's the 3rd win?

It's another gap in logic to say there is no QB to draft this offseason...like....Brick isn't an answer and Savage isn't even good enough to get a shot over him. How is it NOT worth the chance to develop another QB when Brick's albatross contract can be discarded after next season? ARE THEY REALLY GOING TO SAY WELL HE SUCKS AT A HISTORIC LEVEL BUT WE'VE GOT TO PAY HIM ANOTHER 37 MILLION????? No. So develop the guy NOW.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So is Kirk Cousins realistic?

I know we'd be saying buh bye to Cushing, Clowney, and some others.

He's proven to be a really good quarterback.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd pick #1. And it's the reason I think BOB will keep Brock as the starter for the rest of the year.

I think this is a power struggle between Smith and BOB and BOB is on auto-pilot right now because he knows he can't win.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

JJo and Wilfork are probably in their final games as Texans...I hope they keep Cushing though. He isn't what he once was, sure but combined with the fact that they don't have anyone behind him (behind McKinney really and McKinney isn't as good as Cushing) he is probably the best LBer this team has had and is a stalwart in the community too. Even with the 2, 3 seasons whatever that were taken from him due to injury he is still towards the top of every statistical chart the Texans have. To me, he's a guy you can overpay a little bit (not like he's making 18 mil) and count on while you build elsewhere.

Every team falls apart eventually. The constant deck shuffle doesn't build anything. I think Cushing is above all that as well...guys like Barwin, Reed, Antonio Smith. Those are guys you could move on from and not suffer. Cushing is still the heart of that defense (and still a very good LBer)

As for Cousins, I think Washington can still just franchise him if nothing else but really, why would they let him get away?

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not a Savage guy but...might as well.

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This is like going to a bar, getting drunk and thinking you are going home with an 8, then waking up next to a 4 in the morning.

houstonstime likes this.
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

That's what is so screwed up with this org. It's not that they have given up on on him and it should be about winning with whoever gives you the best chance. He will still be on the team watching how Savage Runs the system, learning and trying to earn his position back. His contract should not anoint him the position, I think it's very unfair to Savage and the fans.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not a savage guy either, but at this point you have to try something else. He is the worst Starting QB in the NFL other than Fitz.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

"that's the way it is" sounds very much to me like he is saying "that's the plate of dogcrap I was given to eat".

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

:D

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to wonder if this is all dictated down to Bill from above. As a fan I want to know who's really making this decision. I really don't think it is coming from Bill. He can't possibly be that bullheaded about not giving Savage a chance at this point. As a coach of quarterbacks he has to know better about the capabilities of Brock vs. Savage.

15. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

I hope the rest of 52 players quit on you

Bunch of grown t-up men playing for a p***y

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

You just gotta keep drafting a QB in rounds 1-4 until you find one you can build around.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

No...Brock was most likely a Bill OBrien call. The stupid contract multiyear contract is a Rick smith special.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Offer him less money/years and he probably stays in Denver. We'd all prefer that at this point, but if he was going to sign here, the fact that the contract is frontloaded is the best thing about the deal.

20. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Something definitely needs to change for this team, Brock seems like he under or over throws a lot of passes and doesn't really look comfortable when he throws to Hopkins. Maybe it's just me but when I watch the games Brock just doesn't really look comfortable. I feel like I'm waiting for an interception every game when I see Brock with the foot ball. If O'Brien needs to give Brock some more leeway to do what he thinks he can do then so be it. If it's bench Brock for Savage that might be beneficial too.

It's pretty difficult to sit through the whole game without Watt on the field. He was definitely our difference maker and without him our team is barely staying afloat. Hopefully something changes for a positive note soon...

ramotadab and Yaosthirdleg like this.