1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Start the Tuck-Wagon lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, May 23, 2018.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Capela has been limited against the Death Lineup. Not inconsequential, but his impact has been contained.

I wonder if the Rockets would have more success bringing Capela in against the second unit for that lock down defense, and maybe some opportunities to exploit some alley-oops. Draymond is basically not sitting, and I feel that eliminating Clint has been his focus, but the Tuck-Wagon has been so successful that it seems like this is an adjustment that could work.

Also, I really feel like they're going to need to play Luc, or even Ryno, Nene or JJ on Thursday. 1 day off with a 6 1/2 man lineup is going to take it's toll. Gotta tap that bench. Everyone was clearly gassed towards the end of the game last night.

DaonlyLA and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

If Luc is able to play we need him in there badly, but I wouldn't play anyone but him or Ryno that we're not already using.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Capela is doing a highly valuable offensive task, though ... occupying the vast majority of the focus of possibly the most impactful defensive disruptor of the last 40 years. The whole point of Capela is that if you help off him the ball is immediately in the basket, hence Draymond can't roam at all. You help off Tucker, any top-tier defensive team can send a rotation to him and have a good chance of recovery.

I certainly like the Tuckwagon lineup and it's better than a Nene-based lineup against this specific matchup ... but Capela's impact on this series goes way beyond his stats.

RudyTBag, hakeem94, Vivi and 9 others like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Tuck Wagon is one of the keys to success. He must take precedence over Capela.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Clint Decoypela is occupying Draymond and providing much needed rebounding and defense - GS got more than one second chance bucket on non-Capela lineups last night. I'd not mess with it.

hakeem94, arubato, RyanB and 3 others like this.
  6. MyLateRegistration

That is no longer the case. Green is helping off Capela since Game 3.

hakeem94 and basketballholic like this.
  7. MyLateRegistration

Capela got outrebounded by Looney last night on the OREB's. He was soft.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I dont think we want to fall into what the Warriors did with their death lineup. It should be a lineup that we use when we need it. Make them think about it, make them wonder when it is coming, make them KNOW it is coming. Dont give them the entire game to feel themselves around it. Like a previous poster mentioned above, Capela is contributing something just by being out there and occupying Draymond.

hakeem94, RyanB and SamFisher like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know if I'd go that far as to mess with the starting line up full time, but I do believe Clint's role in distracting Green is overstated. Anderson can guard Green and he can keep Green even more occupied.

Change the rotation to give Clint more minutes against their bench, and use Anderson. He's not shooting bla bla bla. If Paul/Harden tell him to shoot, he will shoot.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

No. There is no reason to bench Capela. For one thing, he has to play some minutes, and benching him does not bolster his confidence. There is plenty of time in 48 minutes to deploy the Tuckwagon lineup, but Capela needs to start. We also need him to play defense and rebound.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

All of a sudden, we're giving up way too many offensive rebounds. Play Capela. I get that he's occupying a defender, but we need to find a way to get him involved to keep him interested at a high level. He's bringing it on D, but offensively, he's losing interest, he's not running the court, he's moving slower... going through the motions instead of looking to capitalize. We need him to exert force instead of allowing smaller players to disrupt his shot.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would keep the same starting lineup. It is a minutes game now with the short rotation. Clearly the Tuckwagon lineup should get the most minutes though and close the game. But Clint has to get minutes and provide value.

Every other day now. It will be about attrition. Rockets could really use SOME value from Luc Mbah a Moute right now. Just soak up some minutes and provide some value.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

stick with capela, but mix it up on offense where he turns into a rim runner some possessions. don't just park him on the baseline or try to force feed him on a mismatch (GS was successfully doubling that play)

on defense he has to fight harder to box out. he might be only 24, but we have several rotation pieces in the end of their primes. he has to grow up quick and outplay donkey at home for us to seize what will be their best chance at a ring

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ryno has no business playing...y’all really need to stop bringing him up

I’d expand the rotation to include Luc since he can be very valuable if he can stop being so useless offensively, but this isn’t the time to be playing lost causes who have no confidence like Ryno

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Good luck trading him this offseason if we won't even test him out.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m not even worried about that right now, I’m worried about winning this series, and this dude Ryno has pretty much checked out...keep his ass on the bench and let the reliable players go out there and get it done

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Hmm, I disagree. I def don't think he "checked out." He was in a slump, got injured late in the season, and it was too risky to try and get him back in the rotation once we had things going. But our very best offense this season came when Ryno was a big part of it. When he is shooting he gives us so much extra spacing because he regularly shoots from 30 feet plus.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

He is constantly passing up shots tho, and at home, we already know the shots that he actually does decide to take will be bricks. Ryno being a sniper and giving us all this extra spacing sounds good in theory, but in the WCF against GS after he’s been useless for so long now and looks like he has no confidence, it’s far more likely that he will be a liability. Mike seems to have no trust in him and has benched him for a reason. He’s just not reliable.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not really. Not the Hampton 5 lineup. Game 3 GSW started off in same defense.

Game 4 was not a test of whether Kerr adjusted their small ball defense, because Looney and Bell totaled 44 minutes, so GSW was in a more traditional lineup, and can do things like SAS does on PnRs. The Green with Looney/Bell lineups is a different defense for Green. The point of my video playbook after Game 2, that maybe I didn't make clear, is we exposed the Hampton 5 defense (including Devid West playing), because that defense neutralized Green.

GSW is definitely a better defense with both Green and Looney (or Bell) on the floor, but they lose a lot of offense, especially West and Iguodala's knowledge of their movement offense and their ability to pass.

bottomline: Green still blankets Capela in their death lineup, and GSW loses a lot of offense when they bring help off the bench in Looney (or Looney as a starter, as in Game 4). You could say, bringing in Looney to help Green is another example of pick your poison.

#19 heypartner, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  20. HookemHorns1250

I agree that Capela needs to play a 'bit bigger, but it annoys me that there's this narrative that just because someone gets an offensive rebound, it's Clints fault. As much as I love Gordon, his boxing out is terrible, and it was often a guard coming in there uncontested to grab the offensive rebound or tip it out.

Clint does his job keeping Green's attention, and yes, he still has Green's attention. He needs to be a 'bit more physical out there, and I think he will be come game 5.

RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.