1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Kenny Thomas.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Jan 15, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I really don't understand why they don't. What have we got to lose? I would much rather go down with my young guns developing rather than with guys who don't fit into the big picture. It's a "no-lose" situation. Kenny can continue to develop and either become a big peice of the puzzle or raise his trade value.

*On another note, I hope someone locks Kenny Thomas in the weight room this offseason. He really needs to work off that baby fat if he is ever going to become a force in this league. I would like to see him work 240 pounds of muscle onto his frame and become a Corliss Williamson-type small forward. Those types are very hard to defend.

**Somebody please tell Matt Bullard that he is in the starting lineup, not because he is good, but because of injury. Every guy on the team has a role. Matt's role is to stand and shoot 3-pointers...I am tired of seeing him try to pump fake and drive the ball in.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah, I think Kenny should also start. He is a great player just should work on the free throw a little more. [​IMG]

I agree that he should get more muscle on his body. He can really become more effective if he gets more muscular.

Bullard doesnt deserve to start. I dont know what is the problem with Rudy. Bullard thinks he is MJ, exactly like you said Cabbage, his job is to shoot 3's and thats it.

3. alaskansnowman

It's unacceptable for a player that SUPPOSEDLY had a good midrange shot and a decent 3 pointer, like Kenny Thomas, to shoot so bad from the free throw line. He was 3-7 today, and pretty much every game I see him, he always misses some free throws.

I also agree that he should work off that baby fat. Maybe he needs to hang out with Devin Gray more.

And I also agree that we SHOULD start Kenny Thomas. Cabbage, you pretty much summed it up for me. We got nothing to lose.

4. jumper

jumper Member

Thomas has great potential. That said, I don't think he is ready to be a starter. Did any of you see the look in his eyes on those last 4 free throws? He was terrified. He was clearly not prepared to have so much responsibility. If we try to develop him too fast he might crack. The very last thing I want to see is for him to become our next Matt Balogna. He's going to a good one if we have the patience to let him develop.

On a totally unrelated topic, when can we sign my boy Howdy-Doody for the rest of the year? Curly is like a cross of Scott Brooks and Othella Harrington. Not really blessed in any area but smart and determined. A real high energy kind of guy. Lock him up Rudy!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said this in an earlier post. I think K. Thomas should be starting, at least until Dream or Cato get back.

K. Thomas has the best court awareness of any of the current Rockets.

Plus, he has been THE MAN, at every previous stop in his career. The Rockets need more players that are not afraid of failing.

DaDakota

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ok so Devin Gray is waived, gets signed to a 10 day contract and doesnt even play..

What the hell is that?

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

They need some bodies to make 2 squads for practice.

Also, getting pretty close at times to the minimum number of players available to play a game.

Mango

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

While I think it would be good to give the guy more minutes, starting him is not the answer. What has he done to deserve to be in the starting lineup? He can develop and raise his value coming off the bench just as well as he can starting. If he plays consistently and can hit his free throws, he'll get the minutes.

Ya'll are right on about Bullard. He is trying to do too much and isn't playing within his defined role. He will start losing minutes if this continues and they just may go to K. Thomas.

jumper, no way in hell should Curley be "locked up"!! True he hustles and gives his all, but he's got alot to prove to even be kept the rest of the season. Miller is just about the only guaranteed player, other than those we began the season with, that should be signed for the season.

Francis3, must be nice to be Devin Gray. Get to practice with the Rockets, go to all the games, all the fringe benefits for a whole 10 days!!! He's got the life!!

------------------
    Tanking is not acceptable. End of story.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone know anything about KT's work ethic? Is he working hard in practice? Is he lifting weights or going through a good conditioning program? What kind of guy is he?

I've been wondering about his all season. he has the talent to start but maybe its his off the court work habits that are keeping him from cracking the starting line.

10. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

Ditto on the KT tip. That guys shows flashes of Barkley every now and then. The line up used against GS of Francis, Mobley, Anderson and Thomas (plug in your stand in center), although small, seemed to work. Throw Dream (or even Cato) into the mix at center and that's a potent running combo with presence in the paint on offense and rebounding ability on the defensive end.