1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, May 1, 2019.

1. TheSource

TheSource Member

Clint Capela is giving us nothing anyways might as well put another perimeter defender out there to match the Hamptons 5. Rivers has played pretty good defense on Curry and can make Curry work on defense with Rivers being a pretty good driver to the basket.

Thoughts ??

2. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

im starting to wonder if we need to just go small to match, but when they are "small" they still have a 6'11 guy out there

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

None of our guards can rebound, so good luck with that.

kjayp likes this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Last year we had Ariza in there because he's long. Now we have a all dwarf line up and none of them can jump to grab boards lol

MD_in_Training likes this.
  6. TheSource

TheSource Member

Capela was -17 in game 1 and -19 tonight.

Rivers was +10 tonight

7. threepointshot3

Who will score off the bench

8. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I'm just not in favor of Shump getting mins over Faried... especially seeing how we are.getting killed.om the boards... especially offensive rebounds

kjayp likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Clint is ****ing useless

10. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Shumpert was supposed to be the answer to this question but he can't hit the broad side of a barn :(

11. SemisolidSnake

I agree. Capela's a lost cause here, so ignore him. Start Rivers and Nene. I know Nene's not going to give you even close to a whole game, but do it anyway. He's the smartest and biggest guy you've got for center. Just see what happens. Rivers will play his heart out on both ends and has actually shown to be successful at doing it. +7 for the night in 24 minutes, leading the team in +/- once again these playoffs. The team needs someone to spark them or shame them, and he's the only I'm seeing that's going to do that.

How about Rivers-Paul-Harden-Tucker-Nene to start out with? Just to see. The position numbers are basically meaningless. Hell, maybe switch Paul out fairly early, and experiment with Rivers-Harden-Tucker-Faried-Nene. Just to see. I know, I know; experimentation is basically poison to MDA, but when you've had 5 out of 7 ugly games so far, and a lot of that involved getting bodied on rebounds and interior play, well, then drink the poison.

And, no I haven't forgotten about Eric "Mr. Fun" Gordon. I know poor Eric wants to start, but him being fed open looks by Chris Paul has proven time and again to be like a key fitting the lock it's made for. So, swallow it, EG, and wait for that chance with the second unit led by Paul, so you can better sustain the team and probably score 20+ points doing it.

Still haven't figured out what to do with Capela, but I don't think he's too soft to get water for the other guys, so there's always that.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Capela is not a star, he can't create his own shot so, not sure what some guys expect about him aside for his honest 14 and 10 with a couple of blocks.
    and before the rebounds argument comes out, yeah, that's also a team issue, cause i lost count of how many long rebounds we lost cause our perimeter player for one reason or another were always beaten by a Warriors player

The truth is his offense is very dependant on the pick & roll with Harden (not even a mention of Chris here cause for some reason they've never been able to run that effectively), and for one reason or another the play is just not there...tonight a couple of passes by James were just too slow, other times the Warriors were really good in anticipating it...

Regardless, if we don't find a way to make this work we might very well looking to go small for the entire series and give some minutes to Clark at the 4/5, he's a good rebounder, has good nose for the ball and can spread the floor, i'm not sure there's much to lose at this point, seems like Faried is a lost cause anyway, Nene played well in game 1 but i don't know, on defense he's still getting torched and i'm not even sure he can play two consecutive games.

13. TheSource

TheSource Member

Tracy gets his info straight from TheSource himself :cool:

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

The thought of having Tucker in the middle fighting for the boards ... oh well might as well cave in

You know if that were to happen, what would the warriors do? KD will drive every freaking possession. It has happened in G1 after the half into the 3rd. It was a nightmare for 5 minutes.

15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Don't think you change your starting line up yet but I would switch to Faried quick if it's not looking good.

16. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Pull Capela

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I was thinking the same thing but we've been sucking on the boards.

Boxing out is all about energy, awareness and being disciplined to not look at the ball and find a body.

Right now, Capela looks lost, slow against the Hampton 5 lineup, so I'm not oppose to having Rivers start.

We can mirror Looneys' minutes with Capela.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

How will we grab any boards? Our rebounding is sh*tty enough as it is, and now u want to start 4 guards plus undersized PJ?

GS’s version of small ball is long and athletic...ours is short and slow

MD_in_Training, YallMean and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we win when rebounding is about even. we lose when we get badly out rebounded.

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Smallest lineup ever. Everyone is 6 feet and 190 pounds.