1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Tribune] Griffin Plays Hot Hand

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/5110602.html

Wolves: Griffin plays hot hand
    November 30, 2004

OAKLAND, CALIF. -- If Timberwolves forward Eddie Griffin ever tires of the NBA, he might want to consider a seat at the World Series of Poker tables.
    How can you tell when Griffin makes a three-pointer, as opposed to when he misses? The scoreboard changes. Griffin's expression and willingness to shoot again next time do not.

"He's as even-keel a person as I've ever seen," teammate Fred Hoiberg said. "He can miss 10 shots in a row, and he's got the same expression on his face. If I miss 10 in a row, you've got to keep sharp objects away from me."
    Griffin, the newest and increasingly valuable member of the Wolves, nailed four three-pointers in five attempts Sunday in Sacramento, helping them stay in front of and beat the Kings. He boosted his three-point accuracy to 48.3 (14-for-29), tied for fifth best in the NBA and much better than his percentage inside the arc (38.5, 22-for-57).

One reason for the gap in Griffin's success rate is how open he frequently is on the perimeter, where opponents aren't as accustomed -- or haven't yet caught on -- to guarding a 6-10 forward. This, after all, is the same guy who can torment them inside at the other end. Griffin blocked five shots at Sacramento and ranks 10th in blocks per 48 minutes (2.46), more than Amare Stoudemire, Zydrunas Ilgauskas or Kevin Garnett.

"Eddie's not your typical big man," Garnett said. "He can shoot the three very well. He has a couple post moves. He has a presence inside on defense. He's a great passer and an unselfish player. He definitely has made our team better, made it more versatile."

Griffin is thriving so far as he tries to revive his NBA career after alcohol and legal trouble last season in Houston and New Jersey, and his deeds have spoken more loudly than his words. "I'm just feeling more comfortable playing out there," he said. "It's just coming. Everything's coming together."

2. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

more salt please... :(

3. franchise?..NOT

I wonder what his expression was like when he missed his former girlfriend in his driveway.......Just thought I'd bring that up B4 everyone starts missing the guy.

Just ask yourself if you want an all thug team. If your not sure, ask any Tblazer fan his thoughts on years of having the most talented group of basketball playing thugs and knuckleheads in the NBA.

4. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Yeah I hate thugs. I prefer our three headed monster of Juwan, Mo and Scottie Padgett. So glad they're not thugs. Who needs blocks or rebounds out of a power forward in the West? Not us it appears.

Good luck Eddie.
    Wish you the best.
    I know twelve jealous players who wish Van Gundy had cut them right about now too.

5. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

No one is claming to miss what he was doing off the court. It just sux to see him playing well right now...

6. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Here you go dreday; squeeze some of this lemon juice on your open wound to wash that salt away :(