1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek: Picard] Patrick Stewart/Jean-Luc Picard back in a new Star Trek series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You appear to be connecting dots that dont exist. Michael Chabon is show runner on Picard, wrote a bunch of it, and a huge Star Trek nerd from the age of 10, in addition to being a super accomplished author. If you think he's getting walked all over by Patrick Stewart and his anti-trek selfish agenda you are imagining things.

Data having emotions or not is irrelevant to anything. It was stupid but he is a single character, not the universe. And there were SO many episodes in the next generation about Data becoming human that it is a place they shouldn't have gone but appears a natural progression. There's a story from original BSG about a writer pitching them finding earth as a midseason ratings boost, not realizing that there would be no point to the entire show once you gave away the goods.

The stupidest thing in the TNG movies was the Borg Queen. Zombies dont have a leader. That is the whole thing that makes the shufflingbl horde so frightening.

Which actor is responsible for all the darkness of both seasons of Discovery?

#101 Ottomaton, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Nook and B-Bob like this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

without patrick stewart there is no show. I guess I don't really understand what you mean by walk all over as we both agree he is the reason the tone we were just talking about.

anyways I'm really happy there are ST fans out thereenjoying this. I enjoyed seeing 1701D again.

3. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

@Bandwagoner -

I imagine you will be pretty disapointed by the upcoming Michelle Yeoh/Section 31 show CBS is working on for next year.

Stewart made a push to the direction of the show, but hes not taking anybody involved with Star Trek anywhere that they aren't perfectly happy to go.

I'm interested - did you see the Discovery short "Calypso" that Chabon wrote? I'd be interested to know what you thought.

#103 Ottomaton, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  4. Bandwagoner

I don't dislike dark SciFi. The Expanse is pretty dark. Michelle Yeoh is great and the 4 episodes in the mirror universe were my favorite.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

DS9 was polarizing to some for having a black commanding officer (1993), it was not based on a ship and it was serialized. You obviously wasn’t watching back then.

As for Discovery, I can post more links in favor of Season 2 than you can otherwise. Don’t make your opinion final word, when it is not.

LOL...Metacritic. You ignore the 95% critic ratings on RT, but post METAcritic.....LOL.

6. Bandwagoner

both season appear to be 83% to me.

nice attempt at further gatekeeping there but TNG broke ground of star trek not having kirk and spock and not on a network.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first episode is free on YouTube

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

TNG broke ground because it dominated syndication. The whole premise was new characters (Next Generation...duh). That's not breaking ground. DS9 show the darker side of the trek universe, tackling issues that TNG would never touch. Every Star Trek after DS9 followed its model........

9. Buck Turgidson

People are so laughably spoiled these days. [and I'm not picking on anyone above, at all, but all of us]

B-Bob likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think that’s a stretch. I/you have to pay to watch it. Since plenty of other options to watch while cbs comes out with all the episodes, I wait, then only pay for the one month of their service necessary to watch the show.

mid still much prefer it all to come out at once if it was free, ala basic cable, but I’d have watched it piecemeal.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can’t recommend Picard even if I know ill watch the second season. If you like Discovery it’s better because of the fan service but way too similar in the sloppy writing or editing over several episodes.

I think part of what makes me reject the spirit of this series (just like Discovery) is the lack of culture building or political exposition, which is boring to a lot of people but can potentially add depth to the character’s decisions. What bugged me is that they had the opportunity to break open Romulan culture but ended up making their characters edgy Americanized figures with British accents. Did you know Romulans had a religious sect that really took LoTR elf roleplaying to heart? I guess I’m stereotyping what a Romulan should be, but there’s no real depth building to that culture unlike how DS9 tried to add details to Cardassians that we’re deeply rooted to their mindset.

The social issues aren’t wrapped up in allegories either. It’s more visual and on key with today’s current social issues rather than any deeper level of introspection of our society.

Oh well, it was flashy when it wanted to be, and there was some good reunion scenes that the trailers spoiled. No need to thinky. Make it so already, captain!

If you say engage, you’ll make the crowd go wild!!

#112 Invisible Fan, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I enjoyed the season as a hole even though there were plenty of choppy moments.

Still I thought I thought it was closer to old school Trek than any of those garbage Abrams movies or the first season of Discovery.

I do get the feeling this and Discovery will end up crossing over......

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

No need to thinky...it's a stinky?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I enjoyed it even though the last episode was pretty anti-climatic. It definitely had the Star Trek feel (moral/philosophical dilemma with optimism normally prevailing).

#115 rockbox, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Didn't like it at all and frankly found it a chore to get through.

The writing wasn't good enough to carry it as a drama, and it wasn't Star Trek enough to function as good Star Trek. I have't tried Discovery, but if this is the direction they've went, I have no desire to see it.

18. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

I liked it enough to look forward to season 2 -- I think they've hit their stride. There are a lot of unexplained mysteries from TNG and the other series, and I hope they lean toward exploring those.

19. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Haven't seen the final episode, but to me 7 of 9 totally stole the show. I liked Space Legolas too. They need to spin off an odd couple space-buddy cop show with just those two.

To me it was extremely uneven. Some moments I was 100% in, on the edge of my seat, and then there were extended stretches where i was bored to tears. I did think there were some really good and creative bits and pieces that were more interesting than by the numbers SciFi TV. Hopefully the can refine that stuff out and condense it.

Nook likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Since the next season of Discovery is set in the 30th century, will be hard to crossover....