1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Staggering Harden's Minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mcgrady33090, May 7, 2015.

1. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

I know Coach McHale likes to sit Dwight first and have Dwight play with the 2nd unit, and have Harden play out the most of the 1st quarter with the bench. But i think we should sit Harden first and play him more when Jordan isn't playing.

What do you guys think?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree. The Rockets collapse in the 2nd quarter too much.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It has literally happened every single game. I can't believe my eyes. Championship teams don't have clear as day vulnerabilities like this.

I could bet on the Rockets collapsing every single second quarter and be a very rich man.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It sounds like a great idea.

I just hope that if that adjustment is made, the 4th quarter James Harden from tonight shows up, not the first 7 quarters James Harden.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

we don't really attack the paint without harden in the game, so may as well, that said, the first quarters haven't been our problem

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Honestly i was thinking about how he sat on the bench the entire third because of foul trouble. I already hate that i have to wait until the 4th is half way over until harden comes in. I'm a advocate of coming in way earlier especially during playoffs.

But interesting enough what worked tonight is he played the entire forth through circumstances. With that being said.

I think hard should rest the first 3-4 minutes if the 2nd abd the last 2 of the 3rd. That's it. Maybe 1-2 extra to start the 4 the if he needs it. We need him in the clutch.

7. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Regardless of when he is in we have to find something more consistent when they trap him on the pick and roll. Josh Smith is not having the series he had against the Mavs. Someone has to step up when there is 3 on four behind Harden.

8. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

the clippers are doing a really good job at preventing josh from rolling to the basket rockets need to switch it up a lil

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Maybe try to keep Dwight on the floor whenever Jordan is in the game, then make sure Harden is out there every second Jordan isn't.

10. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I agree... Harden should rest the last 2 minutes of the 1st then the break between quarters. Play from the 10 min mark in the 2nd (that would give him a 5-6 min rest from the first to the second) to the end of the first half. Play the start of 3rd until the 3 min mark. Rest until the start of the 4 (giving him 4-5 mins between quarters)... Play as much of the 4th as possible buying him mins in between planned time outs and fouls. He should play an average of 39-41 mins in the playoffs

1 person likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think he should go 12-6-6-12

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I would go, foul trouble permitting...

1st Q: First 9 minutes
    2nd Q: Last 9 minutes
    3rd Q: First 9 minutes
    4th Q: All 12 minutes

These quarters where Harden's not out there for half of them are just brutal.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd just play him 45 minutes, man. Like old school players used to do. Back when men were still playing. We shot 105 free throws, there was plenty of time to rest on-court. Makes no difference if you're sitting or hunched over with your hands on your knees, it's rest.

14. ibm

ibm Member

yes. agreed.

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I would play Terry when Harden sits. The offense just dies without Harden. At least Terry can do some attacking.

Yeah, last night Harden got going vs the Clippers' bench. Then he kept going even vs the starters.

He should learn to drive just to the FT line and take those jumpers. Clips are doing a good job taking away his drives. And his 3pt shot has been spotty.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He needs to play 40+ minutes every game

It's the playoffs. No reason not to play your 25 yr old superstar #1 option 40+ minutes unless it's a blowout.

1st Q: 10
    2nd Q: 10
    3rd Q: 10
    4th Q: 10

2 minutes rest at the end of the 1st quarter and to begin the 2nd and likewise at the end of the 3rd and begin the 4th.