1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

St. Pierre Vacates Belt Leaves UFC

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mikol13, Dec 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Botter
    @jeremybotter

St-Pierre has in fact vacated his title. We'll have questions for him for the next 15 minutes, then questions for Dana.

SportsCenter
    @SportsCenter

THIS JUST IN: Georges St-Pierre has announced that he's taking an indefinite leave from @ufc and will vacate his title belt.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Botter
    @jeremybotter

Dana says he knows what he's doing with the title. Suspect we will find out in a few minutes.

Jeremy Botter
    @jeremybotter

GSP say this is his life. HE chooses to fight, and now HE is choosing not to fight.

Jeremy Botter
    @jeremybotter

Dana said he thinks it's the right move for GSP.

Jeremy Botter
    @jeremybotter

March 15. Dallas. Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler.

Jeremy Botter
    @jeremybotter

Not for nothing, but the thought of Hendricks/Lawler sends shivers up and down my violence bone.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Interesting... after his last fight Dana was basically pooping on the idea of GSP taking time off to focus on his family. He said "GSP thinks things are worse than they really are."

i wonder what changed his attitude.

4. dragician

dragician Member

i understand why he would quit... he doesn't want to get beaten again my Hendricks.

5. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Really? You understand? :rolleyes:

6. dragician

dragician Member

it's not fun to get beaten up in the ring like a rookie by a rookie.

7. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I'm sorry but you really don't understand what martial arts or even MMA is all about. Rush defended that belt for many years. A champion can hold the belt for so long. It takes a Rush and a Spider to defend the belt from so many deserving fighters to take it away. MMA fighters have to prepare so much before the fight. It is not only physical but mental, financial, and even emotional preparations that are needed. Eventually, it takes a toll.

Getting beat up and even KOed is a given. It could happen to anyone at any given fight. I'm positive that Rush is not scared of Hendricks and vice versa. But every fighter should be scared of juiced up Overeem and no holds barred Palhares.

And yes, it's not "fun" to get beaten up by a rookie or even a veteran.

8. dragician

dragician Member

Floyd Mayweather and Bones Jones said that you don't understand martial arts.

9. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Why hide between the balls of Mayweather and Jones kiddo?

I say YOU don't know much less understand martial arts.

10. dragician

dragician Member

Read between the lines. all i'm saying is GSP doesn't want a piece of Johnny anymore for the reason that Johnny is a better fighter than GSP, and more exciting to watch, unless of course you like prefer to watch two fighters in a missionary position.

11. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Yup. There are upcoming fighters in the MW division now. Hendricks and Lawler would be exciting. Here's hoping GSP will return to fight every deserving fighter but that's another story. Let's just agree to disagree on that one.

Merry Christmas dude.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

Sounds like the pressure of defending his belt has got to him. He would rather vacate his belt and "retire" then to lose his belt to a better fighter.

That doesnt sound like a true champion to me. I guess the rumors were true. He never really had that killer instinct...

13. dragician

dragician Member

He fell in love with wresting. After he got KO'd by Matt Serra, he played it safe.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

St. Pierre hinted at retiring the belt multiple times before fighting Hendricks.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't think GSP is scared of Johnny and that's kind of ridiculous to say that. GSP got tired of the grind. There have been rumors of him retiring for awhile now. He also has that crazy lawsuit with his ex manager. The judge ruled she gets 20% of his future purses. It seems pretty clear a lot of the external stuff got to him.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You act like it's just easy to wrestle your way to victory.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

at the end of the day GSP has had a hell of a career! i get sick of everybody crapping on fighters as soon as someone kicks their ass. it happens, GSP isn't "scared" of any man. He probably isn't in a rush to go and fight him again but thats because he knows his heart isnt in it, he needs to go home clear his mind and come back focussed.

18. dragician

dragician Member

MMA = Mixed martial arts.

19. sew

sew Member

Greatest welterweight of all time.

As good as Hendricks is, I don't see him, or anyone else in the WW division, having the same run that he did.

GSP has earned this.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What's your point?