1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Square-Enix Decides to Make Sequel to Worst FF Game, Plus Other News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Not Mystic Quest (hey it had some great music), but I'm talking about FFXIII of course. FFXIII-2 has been announced and is scheduled for release in 2011 for 360/PS3. I'll just link to Wikipedia for now (what could go wrong?):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII-2

Final Fantasy Versus XIII still has no release date, and is still apparently PS3 exclusive (thanks for the update Square-Enix!).

Final Fantasy XIII Agito has been renamed Type-0.

And...yeah, I don't even really care that much anymore. KH 3DS looks good I guess, and the new Dissidia game is...progressing.

I'm not sure if there will be any good videos/screens from the even where all this news came out of, but if so, I may try to post them later.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I have yet to play XIII, but is it really worse than FF8? :eek:

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Surely this will do better than an FF7 remake would. Surely.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Square at it again. What a out-of-nowhere kind of announcement. I didn't even think the first one sold all that well.

Hey RC, you haven't done a sales thread in a while.

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Hmm...I guess I'm in the minority then...I love XIII (only about 20 hours in so far) and VIII.

6. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

nope, VIII is my favorite by far. i am at chapter 11 in XIII. this one is a bit repetitive earlier but chapter 11 is a good one. story isn't all that, but it's not that bad.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

You kidding! 8 was my favorite and 13 was my least favorite!

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I liked XIII. I also liked X but never bothered to play X-2.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Only FF I ever finished was 7, never got far into 8, then played 10 on ps2 and got far but never beat it. I heard so so reviews on XIII.

I dont have time to play it now, especially when i have nba2k11

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yeah, this is the silliest part to me. An FF7 remake would kill in sales; a sequel would kill even more. Yet they chose FF13. Another turn down the wrong path for Square.

(13 wasn't that bad, though, just not great like most other FF's excluding 9.)

11. Depressio

Right now, I'm more interested in Final Fantasy Versus XIII. New trailer (includes gameplay):

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1A0AU1eNSXk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1A0AU1eNSXk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

(no HD trailer for another week apparently)

1 person likes this.
  12. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I thought X-2 was a real let-down. Didn't even come close to the epic quest that was in X. It got decent reviews, so I tried it, but it just seemed like the story was a complete afterthought and didn't really go anywhere. Too cutesy with not a single moment of feeling like you're in any kind of danger or struggle.

My top 4 FF would be 6,7,10,4 probably in that order.

I was enjoying 13 for a while, but then just sort of stopped playing like halfway through. So add me to the list of those disappointed that they're making a sequel.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

...........................whatever.

14. Depressio

More videos...

Final Fantasy XIII-2:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObiaNbDtF3Y?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObiaNbDtF3Y?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Final Fantasy Type-0:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nC5P3Jxvtzg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nC5P3Jxvtzg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

http://www.techdigest.tv/2010/02/final_fantasy_x_1.html

16. Depressio

Blah, blah, blah.

JUST DO IT!

(I find it hard to believe, though. 13 probably took a lot of time because they had to make the graphic engine, work with the PS3, etc. etc., but a lot of that can be re-used to make a new one. If they had begun with FF7, sure, perhaps, but now I'm not so sure if it's true now that they have significant experience with the PS3. For example, how long is the turn-around with 13-2? Not as long.)

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

No further news about Versus, but they announce a whole new game, with a fast tracked release date. What the hell. I want my towns.

18. RC Cola

It is the worst FF. So yes.

(I enjoyed FF8...actually pretty much loved all the main FF games, except for FF13).

Sadly, FF13 actually did sell pretty well. Fastest selling FF in Japan IIRC. Pretty sure it outsold FFXII, and think it might outsell FFX. Unless I'm remembering wrong. Though I imagine JRPG fans are pretty desperate these days. I know I was/am.

Yeah, when NPD decided to quit putting out hardware numbers, I decided to stop posting those threads. Of course, I didn't really realize at the time that we'd end up getting the numbers anyway (usually?), but I was just tired of NPD always switching up their rules. Guess I (or someone else?) could start them up again if there is interest.

Well...20 hours in, it is still sort of OK. Especially since you can hold out hope that it will get better.

IIRC, the last couple of chapters were really horrible story-wise. I'd probably wait until you finished it before commenting much about the story.

I too thought it was decent at worst, and probably pretty good by most standards. Then...I finished the game. Ugh.

They should have left FFX alone. That said, I did enjoy X-2 some. Granted, I completely ignored the story and atmosphere. Pretty much trash, although I guess good if you're looking for something like Charlie's Angels maybe. But I really enjoyed the gameplay.

To be honest...since they're doing it anyway, I probably could find myself enjoying FFXIII-2 if they follow a similar plan. Tweak the gameplay quite a bit (gameplay was pretty good in FFXIII as is, but had some major issues). Make the story a little more simple, and then just put a whole lot of content in it. I'll play it no matter what I guess, and I think I might actually enjoy that. More than FFXIII most likely.

Square-Enix:
    "Making games is tough."

Of course, it probably would take that long if they repeated the same mistakes they made with FFXIII. They're probably making FFXIII-2 because they had so much content left over that didn't make it into the game. At least if they remade FF7 this way, we could have like 5 games when it is all said and done.

Right?

(that probably made about as much sense as FFXIII)

Kind of mentioned this above, but I think FFXIII took so long due to poor management more than anything. Trying to remember some of the articles, but full development didn't really startup until a couple of years ago I think.

Sort of similar with Versus, though now that I have seen the new video, at least I can say that it looks pretty awesome. Really excited for it now. Hope it doesn't let me down.

19. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

It's not. FF8 was an abomination. Quite possibly some of the worst characters and one of the most inane stories I've ever suffered through.

That said, FFXIII is really not that great in comparison to some of the other titles in the series. In all honesty, though, its biggest flaw was carrying the Final Fantasy badge. It would hold up as a good game if only it didn't have the expectations and hype that come along with every Final Fantasy.

20. RC Cola

FF8 had Triple Triad.

Triple Triad > FFXIII.