1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs vs. Thunder - 2012 Western Conference Finals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, May 21, 2012.

?

Who wins the series?

Poll closed May 27, 2012.
  1. Spurs in 4

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Spurs in 5

14 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Spurs in 6

45 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Spurs in 7

26 vote(s)
    14.2%
  5. OKC in 4

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. OKC in 5

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. OKC in 6

44 vote(s)
    24.0%
  8. OKC in 7

44 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Am devastated I won't get to see the end of this series.

If Game 1 tips off on Sunday - is it following the usual 1 day rest schedule?

So we'll see a game on Tuesday + Thursday + Saturday as well?

I'm hoping for the Thunder to make it through - but am not going to be too disheartened to hear that the Spurs represent the West.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

For some reason, I agree with that. I do feel the Spurs sort of dogged a bullet in the playoffs by not playing a team, like Dallas, Denver, or even the Rockets in the first round. Because, they all would've put up a better fight than Utah and even win a game or two. The Clippers were knicked up and came out of tough series with Memphis. Again, I think Memphis was more than capable of giving the Spurs a super tough series.

Alot of critics are saying that the Thunder do not matchup well with Spurs, inside, even though Perkins and Ibaka can be a nightmare defensively and are pretty good rebounding big men together. Moreover, OKC as a whole is a very good defensive team. Durant, Sefolosha, Harden and Westbrook are going to cause problems for them, defensively.

This is first series where the Spurs have to stop 3 offensive dynamos who can create. In the Clippers, they could shut down Chris Paul and sort of limit the offense.

4. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I kinda see those points, but... then again the Spurs don't really need playoff testing...since the main part of them have been in it for like 14 years. And they've won 18 in a row. And swept both teams so far (not an easy feat)... and granted those teams may have not been as "high caliber" as Mavs or Lakers - but its not like the Mavs were all that great/consistent this season... and heck, LAL got swept last 2nd round so there's no big surprise they weren't good enough this year either. Memphis should've beaten LAC, but they weren't as good as last year really I dont think. Utah finished the year really well and gave teams fits, and SA just crushed them.

The Spurs are ready. They were tied for best record in the league, and I don't think anything will stop them besides the Thunder possibly just being a better team. Its a short flight, day off inbetween games, etc and so on... this will be a great series, and I don't know who will win. My gut says Spurs, but I'll be happy for either team. I kind've like that it'd be Duncan's last hoorah, because Durant and the Thunder will be here many more times. Early in the season I was rooting for the Thunder, I really like their team and Love Scotty Brooks...

but after watching SA so far as well, it looks like they may be the concrete wall for even a great team like OKC. The best playoff series will be this one, and I think those will be the NBA champs. I'm pumped!

5. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I think the Spurs are going to keep on rolling. I want to say sweep, but I think the Thieves will have one game where at least two of their big 3 are on all game long. Spurs in 5.

6. HoustonRockets

7. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Spurs in 6... Maybe 5.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I'm picking OKC in 6. Spurs have the best offense in the league, but they haven't faced any elite defenses in a while. OKC has the 4th best defense in the NBA in terms of fg% allowed at 42%. The key is to stay in front of their guards to limit penetration and thus limit their 3pt shooting.

Spurs' defense is vulnerable, and they don't have anyone to even come close to covering Durant. Durant has to absolutely go off this series. WB can and most likely will outplay Parker. And Harden v. Ginobili will be a huge matchup also. OKC has the big men to contest the Spurs. So I think Durant will be the difference in this series, so it is his series to lose.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Spurs in 4

Undefeated in the playoffs

Spurs Celtics Final

Spurs in 4

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I wanted to pick a Thunder sweep, but I went with Thunder in 7. I just hope this round is as good as it could potentially be. The young team packed with stars, or the most under the radar dynasty in the history of sports.

11. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Spurs in 7! They have the experience.

12. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Finally some good basketball... ive been avoiding the play offs mostly because rockets aren't in it but im going for the thunder... Can't root for the spurs even if they are a texas team... doesn't feel right.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Spurs in 6, veterans will decide this.

14. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Hoping HOF PF GOAT cools off is probably not what OKC is going to be doing; not when he can now SMELL that thumb ring. If anything, Duncan's gonna lose another two years this series.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's how I feel. Haven't cared about the playoffs and haven't done much more than read the headlines in the morning. But, OKC vs SAS looks like an irrestible force meeting an inmoveable object. It should be a great and close series.

I'm picking the Spurs by a hair, just because they have homecourt advantage.

16. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Spurs are 8 - 2 against OKC is their last 10 (the only reason I don't include more games than that, is OKC simply sucked too much before that). In one blowout win this season, Ginobilli didn't play, and it was pre-SJax and Diaw.

People saying the Spurs haven't been "tested", so OKC is more ready? Fine, but not sure there is historical relevance to that take; what do you consider a test? During the current winning streak the Spurs were "tested" by the Lakers twice - including one in LA; demolished them both times.

OKC is a great, exciting team, but, IMO the Spurs have answers to slow their weapons, AND they have HCA. Spurs hold court for 1 and 2, lose 3 (winning streak ends at 20), steal 4 and close it out in SA in 5.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

OKC in seven. I think the Spurs will win one or two games by 15+, because their offensive discipline is incredible these days and OKC is prone to SOME defensive lapses in intensity. But I think most games will be close, and I trust KD/Westbrook/Harden to create late more than I do Parker and Ginobili. I also think the Laker series made them more ready for this level of defensive competition.

18. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I really want the thunder to win the whole thing but i just cant see any team beating the spurs right now...i got the spurs sweeping the thunder but i hope not so they dont break our streak. damn spurs.

19. Walkersroomie

Walkersroomie New Member

For all of you Spurs fans who cite experience as a key reason why Spurs will win - Can you tell me who said this "I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent."

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

OKC in 6. The keys to this series for OKC are whether Perkins can slow down Duncan, and does Scott Brooks make the adjustment and roll with a Westbrook-Harden-Sefolosha-Durant-Perkins lineup at times to match up to the stretch fours of the Spurs.

I think Harden and Westbrook wash out Parker and Manu. So it's up to Durant to dominate Kawhi Leonard and the thunder bigs to slow Duncan. The series goes at least 6 regardless who wins.