1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Spurs reflect Pops

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, May 14, 2017.

1. basketballholic

You gotta give it to the man. He figured out where the game is at and innovates the latest innovation an extra degree.

Threes, free throws, and layups have been torqued to:

Selective open shot threes in rhythm
    Free Throws
    Shots in the paint

He's globbed shooting long two's and contested threes and pull up threes into getting into the paint and taking the paint shot. That might be a layup/dunk. Or it might be a Gasol/Aldridge hook, runner, or even the little jump shot below the free throw line, or the running floaters by the smalls. In the process of diligently and doggedly seeking the paint they exhaust the opponent defense, take the juice out of their legs, and the opponents start coming up short on the threes that the Spurs can then contest better.

You gotta give Pops his due. In my opinion the best coach of all time, surpassing even Phil and Red.

#1 basketballholic, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    PyroTex and hakeem94 like this.
  2. basketballholic

I so wished we could make these basic changes here in Houston. Instead of Harden taking six or mute pulk up three point shots, he should penetrate the paint. Even if he has to pull up 12 feet in the paint just before the free throw line, those shots are more efficient fur him than the pull up three ball.

Madeinchin4 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

layup is the best shot in basketball

4. basketballholic

Sure.

And for the vast majority of NBA players an 8 footer in the lane is more efficient than a pull up three pointer or a spot up three pointer with a defender within two feet.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

The thing i give credit to Pop most is that in all these years he has been able to build such a winning enviroment, that any player always follows the plan and always give 100% on the court. So yeah, not only a great coach, but also a great leader. Personally, i'd pick him over Jackson.

Madeinchin4 likes this.
  6. lewlloydfan

lewlloydfan Member

greg meatgrinder face popovich can eat a fat one, u seem to forget how blantantly dirty the spurs used to be. You also forget the suns were robbed in 2007 and the pacers were robbed vs the knicks giving the spurs a cakewalk in 99. thats 2 titles that dont count. f popabitch rudy t was better

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

As each season has progressed, Rockets seem ot ahve gone more and more Volume 3's or layups and free throws only approach. More and more extreme. I think it has something to do with Darren Maury encouraging that

Back in the 14/15 season, Harden had a great mid range game, sometimes a step back mid range jumper. It makes his game less predictable

Teams have figured out how to guard the Rockets. Close in on the 3 point line and have big long big in the paint waiting to change/alter/block shots since they know Rockets will either take a contested 3 or blindly run to the rim

That stop and pop or mid range open floater needs to be incorporated.

8. basketballholic

Mid-range only in the paint in my opinion. 15 feet and under in the paint area. That is the solution to the sagging big.

I want us to exploit the paint area. And additionally I'd give Harden carte blanche to shoot any shot inside 15 feet, including wing and baseline. Nobody else though. Everybody else gotta get in the paint.

RiceRockets likes this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You gotta give it to Pops for drugging Harden. Now they get to get swept by GSW instead of the Rockets. I will hand it to him for lucking into Kawhi though. He has a knack for legendary players landing in his lap.