1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs gonna Spur: Gasol opts out, will take paycut

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jun 20, 2017.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dear friend,

tell me no tales of logic...

...Because extrapolating the Spurs putting up a few decent quarters in one game against the W's on their way to getting swept making them even remotely close is ****ing Neo in Matrix: Reloaded flying over two billion miles an hour level of logical leaps.

For God's sake, not even an elite mega peak LeBron with a Cavs team playing as well as they have ever played came close - it required a level 47 all time great offensive performance at home with referee help, just to avoid the ignominy of a sweep.

The Spurs were not close. In fact they were a lot closer to a bone tired Rockets team that and a sad sack Grizzlies squad. They were as close as Portland was last year when they got beaten by GS and actually won a damned game, which was...

....Not very.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Kawhi travels plenty, but I don't think so in this case. It wasn't a clean hand off (steal). You can see the slight fumble, gather with the right hand, then stop. You can't count the steps he takes before he has the ball.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Spurs were blowing them out until kawhi went down and the LeBron should have gone 2-0 at home. That game 3 collapse along with that Durant dagger pretty much sealed the series. Even the elimination game was overall pretty competitive.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, over in Earth 45, Alpha-5 Multiverse they are still talking about the Spurs-Wizards Finals classic.

5. BackdoorHarden

$16 million a year for 3 years for a 38 years old is a pay cut??

6. BackdoorHarden

They didn't get Iggy, CP3, but they did get Rudy Gay, who is on KD's level and 38 years old Gasol for 3 years for $48 million.

7. War Machine

War Machine Member

He just turned 37 a couple weeks ago, but your point still remains. He didn't take a pay cut at all. In fact, he was rewarded two more years at $16M per. For an aging 37 year-old big man whose athleticism (or lack thereof) is clearly declining, who's a defensive liability, and who is unplayable against Golden State..

Truly the worst contract signed this offseason, and probably the worst in franchise history. And that's not hyperbole. Only one that is comparable is the Richard Jefferson contract a few years back.

#87 War Machine, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    roslolian likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I almost spit my coffee out when I saw it. Had to goto spurstalk to see the responses....it was glorious watching the meltdown lmao

9. BackdoorHarden

LOL. That place must be a mad house. First they thought they were going to get CP3, then Iggy and all they ended up with was Gay Gasol

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Don't like facts and reality much, huh?

It's OK. Close your eyes it'll all be over soon. Shh

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

BigMaloe and roslolian like this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Spur's Ryan Anderson signing.

roslolian likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

How dumb does this post look now?

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Also very confused about what went on with this.

I'm guessing the whole "opted out to take a pay cut" report was bull ****?

Head scratching contract, overpaid during a free agency where most bigs are signing for peanuts, 37 years old on a 3 year overpaid deal, screws up their cap space next season, they don't have a win now roster set in place either.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm guessing they had bigger plans than Rudy Gay & Joffrey Lauvergne but that didn't work so pay Patty Mills, pay Gasol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I get that ... but why not just give him a 1 year deal? Or a market value long term deal? I have a hard time believing any other teams was offering anything close to what the Spurs gave him.

Randolph is a good comparison, similar level player, a year younger, signed with what's probably going to be the worst team in the league (Kings) for only 2/24. Surely Spurs could have gotten a similar if not better deal then that. I guess he was going to take a big pay cut and this was the Spurs saying thanks...but they might have potentially handicapped potential free agent signings in the future.

KingCheetah and J.R. like this.
  17. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

seems like a terrrrible contract... but I've learned, many moons ago I questioned the Front Office... now I give them the benefit of the doubt. Next season LMA, Danny Green and Rudy Gay have player options... possible 41 million dollars in cap space next season..even with Pau's terrrible deal...

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But without it you could have 57m or so. That's significantly better and enough for 2 Max contracts.

It's a bad contract and no one understands it. Not you, not me, not analysts. It's an albatross contract already.

I've always said the Spurs will be the Spurs will be the Spurs and they have never toppled ever. Year after year cheating mother time.

I think they fell hard this summer. I don't think they are a true contender anymore. I predict a slip and will be a lower to middling playoff team. 5-8th seed

Lost dedmon
    Lost Simmons
    Over compensated Pau
    Manu should be retired
    Parker is done for
    Aldridge is upset

They will be decent and get to like 48 wins imo but they just scream mediocre and in need of a retool

roslolian likes this.
  19. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

They will be alright... dedmon didn't play in the playoffs, simmons was not smart enough to be re signed, he butted heads with Pop and didn't play much in the second half of the reg season because of his play, Pau's contract sucks, Manu played less than 20 minutes a game last season, we all want parker to retire but he won't be a big factor next season, LMA is soft..

they have some young guys who played well last year and will receive significantly more playing time... they weren't bad last year and they will probably be a better basketball team in the long run.. I think they finish somewhere in the top 4...

the Spurs are rebuilding without the drop off... it's worked so far

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is not gonna cut it ... either join Rox or Warriors......for reduced price.