1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

SportsRadio 610 Program Director Resigns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, Matt's show cracks me up. If you're just looking for the same ol' same ol' sports talk where the same stuff gets spewed over and and over, his show isn't it. This dude's callers are zombie paint sniffers. I seriously think that when Koch & Kalu leave, they lace the phone lines with a bucket of stupid and leave it for Matt to handle. But that's what makes the show hilarious sometimes. If it's not your cup of tea, then you probably won't like the show. His sports knowledge may be the least of all of them, but his ability to run a "variety hour" is pretty good.

Now after all that, if I were to pick the weakest link between the hours I listen at work (around 8:30am - 4 or 5pm), it would have to be Matt's show, but like you said, that is one damn strong chain.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think the key line in that article about his leaving was that the ratings at 610 went up as the Texans fortunes improved. Several people on these boards have said it. The channel that has the Texans will likely always be the highest-rated, nearly regardless of what else they put on the air.

Maybe there are those out there that are huge fans of guys like Nick Wright and Josh Innes, but they must be a silent majority because I've never met one.

3. body slam

body slam Member

Really wish some one would bring back the block party. By far the most entertaining show on Houston radio.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You've got me sir, touché

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Charlie and Rich? From way back in the day? That was probably before my days of listening to sports radio. Growing up, the only time I ever listened to sports radio was when we were driving to and from Rockets and Oilers games. I actually remember Charlie doing the Rockets post-game shows back in the early 90s. But I never really extensively listened to any sports radio until after I graduated college in 2005. I do remember when 790 was considered to be the worst of the bunch....back when that monstrosity of Ted DeLuca and John Lopez were considered their headliners.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I actually do enjoy the mid day show on 610 now with Meltzer a lot. That's the only non-790 show I like.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i love charlie. especially when he calls out the caller on their ignorance.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hope the new PD is smart enough to realize this and is able to look past the ratings. Most people just listen because 610 is the Texans flagship station. You could put a couple of chimps on 610 drive-time and it would probably still beat out 790, 97.5, and 1560.

I honestly think there is a significant demographic in Houston that still thinks 610 is the only sports talk station in town. They listen because they don't know any better. Hell, I live in Kingwood and I can't even pick up 790 or 1560 between 6pm and 6am.

Ennis is just an ABORTION of a sports talk host and Nick Wright is only slightly better. All Wright ever talks about is twitter. :confused:

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This gets annoying for me. He is just too serious sometimes although Lance is working on him. I prefer more variety in my sports talk, a more light hearted show like Matt Thomas (as someone said)

This is true. Every time I come home to Houston and I get in the car with my dad, he has 610 on and he complains about how terrible it is. I always have to tell him to put on 790.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Matt Thomas is awesome. Didn't understand the MT love before, but now I do. I don't usually like when the producers chime in, but the Ross and Matt dynamic works well. The only thing I don't like about 790 is Wexler. Way too verbose at times.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is Mighty After Dark Still on? If so, Dylan Gwinn is the obvious weak link

12. updawg

updawg Member

What happened to that poster on here that was a producer or whatever for 610 I think

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

YES! Love me the dorset tones of a Matt Thomas during lunch time! And Mighty is on in the eves from 7-9 or 8-10 depending on what other shows run at night. Play the Mighty drinking game; take a shot every time he says "I mean" at the start of his comments and you'll get waaasssted!

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Chain is strong . ..

Gwinn <<<< Matt Thomas

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I love it when he blast Lou Rawls on people . . . .

I kind of like the song . .. now I find myself humming it when people start to get on my nerves. . . .

Rocket River
    . . . I need some mood music