1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Illustrated] Little Big Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Someguy1229, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I saw this article in SI today and I thought you guys might like to read it to.

Here is the link to the article on SI's website.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1163735/index.htm

"When Yao Ming underwent season-ending foot surgery last summer, the Rockets seemed doomed to the lottery, having lost their most reliable scorer and interior defender. Yet with forwards Luis Scola and Carl Landry producing in the low post, and point guard Aaron Brooks and forward Trevor Ariza firing from the perimeter, Houston was averaging 101.9 points through Sunday, 10th in the league. Then, to replace Yao's defense, the Rockets turned to a center a full foot shorter, who has kept them elevated in the standings (11-9 at week's end) and in the chase for a playoff spot.

At 6'6" and 267 pounds Chuck Hayes has learned to compensate for his shortcomings. When he signed in January 2006, Houston's coaches gave the undrafted free agent a DVD of Anthony Mason defending Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1994 NBA Finals and suggested he model himself after the 6'7", 250-pound Knicks forward. "We thought he could do some of the same things in terms of stripping the ball when it's exposed, poking at it and making guys react to him," says then Rockets assistant Tom Thibodeau, who is now with the Celtics. Hayes eyeballed the DVD for weeks and has since made a habit of film study. Before a Nov. 2 game against the Jazz, Hayes saw that Carlos Boozer preferred to go left when he faced up. All game Hayes forced him right, holding the All-Star to seven points on 1-of-6 shooting.

Hayes, the Rockets' strongest player (including Yao), uses his sturdy base to move taller opponents out of the paint. "If they make a turnaround [on me]," says Hayes, "they deserve it." In two games against the Lakers this season Hayes played 7-foot, 285-pound Andrew Bynum so well that Phil Jackson abandoned post-ups because, as the coach put it, Hayes was "rooted to the ground."

Hayes's muscle is complemented by quickness. His coach at Kentucky, Tubby Smith, notes that for four seasons Hayes led the Wildcats in deflections, a stat usually dominated by guards. It's a reason he's among the best at defending the pick-and-roll, a play Yao struggled with. Says the Lakers' Ron Artest, "You're not going to get around him, you're not going to outquick him and you're definitely not going to outsmart him."

Hayes's offense is a work in progress—he was averaging 5.4 points through Sunday—but he grabs a team-leading 2.8 offensive rebounds per game and sets wall-like screens. And even in small doses he can make a big difference. After sitting for most of the fourth quarter last Thursday at Golden State, Hayes checked in with 2.1 seconds left and Houston clinging to a two-point lead. When the Warriors set a pick for Monta Ellis, Hayes switched out and forced the speedy guard into a game-clinching travel. "With Chuck, we're looking for a defensive impact," says Houston G.M. Daryl Morey. "And he's making it."

2. amaru

amaru Member

More love for the Chuck wagon

Hayesfan should approve of this.

3. devilsdandruff

Hayes was "rooted to the ground."

lol awesome.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He really is a special player. I really don't know what else to say about him except I'm glad he is on our side.

5. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Wow..... that's from Artest!

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I totally missed this one! Thanks for posting it.

I love Ron's quote

Edit: DUDE! you beat me to it!

7. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I like the mention of Tom Thibodeau. Seems he played a big part in developing the Chuckwagon.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Ron Artest is a smart cookie when it comes to knowing who is good at basketball.

2. Does anyone feel like we were watching Chuck Hayes euthanizing Shaq's career? Tonight feels like the end for one of the greats of the game.

9. Hayesfan

Well, he should stop trying to post up "crazy ass Chuck Hayes"!

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

si jinx?

11. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I never knew that. Chuckwagon FTW!

#11 CharlieMurphy, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No jinx. Just facts. There are games when Chuck has had trouble and will struggle, but not in very many. Chuck is top notch and tough on defense.

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

this game was reminiscent of dream's last year

14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Tom Thibodeau is with the Celtics??????

that's why they are defending so well..............

15. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'll admit it... I've got a mancrush on Chuck Hayes.

16. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

He's been with them for two years now buddy.

17. Hayesfan

Welcome to club. :) Just ask people to scoot over and give you space on the wagon.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, I still remember this. Here's a post I made after watching Bynum trying to back Hayes down.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4476559&postcount=39

Seriously. If you guys want to watch a defensive play with no blocks, no steals, etc but still makes you jump out of your seat, Bynum failing to back Hayes down was it. Watching that particular sequence was seriously one of the best moments of basketball I've seen the Rockets play in the past few years.

19. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I've been on the wagon for a long time. I'm just outing it now! :cool:

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You have a MAN crush on Chuck Hayes?