1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Illustrated] Chris Ballard Piece on Daryl Morey - "Moneyballsy"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Was he top 10 before they won that championship? or he only become top 10 retrospectively?

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Dallas Mavericks.

People have this misconception that moneyball means you have a roster full of unwanted players. In the Mavs scenario, they used moneyball to build around their franchise player and win a championship. Morey has always found great role players, and late round value picks. He just could never get the star. Now, he has the star and he has plenty of time to build around him.

3. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

here 10 players that were better than dirk previous to the start of that season i can easily cite perhaps 10 more that could we argue over whether they are better or dirk for example Steve Nash, Parker, Tim Duncan, Pau Gasol, Kevin Durant, Russel Westbrook

1 LeBron James (Miami)
    2 Dwight Howard (Orlando)
    3 Kevin Garnett (Boston)
    4 Dwyane Wade (Miami)
    5 Amar'e Stoudemire (New York)
    6 Derrick Rose (Chicago)
    7 Carmelo Anthony (Denver)
    8 Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers)
    9 Chris Paul (New Orleans)
    10 Manu Ginobili (San Antonio)

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

When the Pistons won the championship, suddenly there were talks of Chauncey going from star to top star. The same can be said of Dallas and Dirk. It will be the same thing with Harden or Lin or...god forbid...Asik. The "top star(s) required" theory will never die, because when you win, it doesn't matter if you don't have a top star, the "top star(s) required" theorists will just point to players and start calling them top star(s).

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Oh my-that is an embarrassing photo RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/si_chrisballard">si_chrisballard</a> This is classic RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/pdbuckeyes">pdbuckeyes</a> From our FR year at N'western <a href="http://t.co/HAyZD6V6" title="http://twitter.com/PDBuckeyes/status/274537147317510148/photo/1">twitter.com/PDBuckeyes/sta…</a></p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/274559102246612992" data-datetime="2012-11-30T17:02:45+00:00">November 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I''m pretty sure everyone would be fine with him missing shots against 0.05% of the NBA, if he's hitting the rest. We're not seeing them in May.

#45 RV6, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Pointless to debate with someone who thinks amare was ever better than dirk.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

article

Fabulous piece...well researched and written. Moreyball is truly an ultra sophisticated analytical system.

Fun read...great insight into the man!!

D R

10. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

actualy i dont think amare was ever better than dirk i just placed random list of all star players that year...hehehe however just pick your choice and place durant on that list or Tim Duncan or Steve Nash or Parker... you think Dirk was better than them?

cmon it is media who make the superstars not the perfomance as a matter of fact i would personally prefer dirk over many of the superstars especially over Kobe Bryant, chris paul, howard, wade...but it is not the general opinion nor the opinion of nba experts...

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

having said that, i could agree that a team need 2 superstars to win, but not according to media's definition of superstar...to me Omer Asik is already a superstar...Parsons is a superstar if he continues this production until the end of season....so we already have 2 superstars...if not 3 :grin::grin::grin:

12. gah

gah Member

So who's going to hook us up with the article? C'mon clutchfans. :)

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I'm presenting my opinion. For instance, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are clearly historically better players than Dirk. However, the year the Mavericks won, Dirk was a better player.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's not available online, Just go pick up the issue, it's cheap and a really well written article.

15. gah

gah Member

Sadly, I live outside of the US and it's not available here.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I hope it ends up online for you then, if I see it posted anywhere i'll link it up.

17. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

why did you picked the year he won?:grin: How about the year previous to the year the Mavericks won? I think it will be more suitable/corresponding to what we are discussing here, isn't it?

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

2 people like this.
  19. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I'm the setup man for that joke you have...aka twinkilling0303

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You can't teach pretty

:grin:

#60 RV6, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012