1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sporting News] For many coaches, overuse of analytics remains 'very, very dangerous'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, Jan 23, 2014.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-01-23/the-baseline-for-many-coaches-overuse-of-analytics-remains-very-very-dangerous

1 person likes this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

very intersting. thanks for posting

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know who doesn't want stats sheets in lock room. And he is not a coach. :grin:

[​IMG]

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

on the new list of rocket killers tbh..

5. clippy

clippy Member

These nerds are taking all the fun out of the game.

6. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

Collins comes off as unintelligent in this article. Does he not really see the difference in a missed open three and a bad two that happens to go in?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's Daryl Morey. Wants to be GM/Coach(but not take responsibility for the coach part).

Good luck getting a new(/good) coach in here. | Calling all YES MEN!

No coach wants a GM telling them(or at the very least influencing them) how to coach, how to play, or who to play.

1 person likes this.
  8. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

Or just find a coach that doesn't need to be influenced in that way because he already gets it (someone like Brad Stevens)

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

My favorite part was him talking about the "eye test" and the "heart test."

This is the man that signed Kwame Brown and traded for Andrew Bynum within a month.

10. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

Haha, I saw your tweet about that. He's also the man that praised Fisher's toughness and heart for taking the cheapest of shots on Scola a couple years ago in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure I'd trust someone like Morey or Hinkie when it comes to an eye or heart test over him.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

I suppose, yes.

I guess you're talking about an "up and comer" (like Stevens). Can't imagine any of the "old school" coaches (that are thrown around on here and everyone else).

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The old school is coming off as weak here. Of course both approaches need to be considered but numbers are very effective tools. This is the way the world is headed not just basketball. In a hundred years we will have a hundred times more analytics not less. Any point the old school has, is true to a much lesser extend that they think.

13. NotChandlerParsons

No, he doesn't. Not surprising that several players are flourishing under Brown that played mediocre to bad under him.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The old school is dead, completely and utterly dead. But it's not just about analytics, they're just what's replaced the old school. But the other part, maybe the most important part is the people management, that's what PJ excelled at, that hasn't been replaced, that might even be viewed as more important, and it hasn't changed that much in thousands of years, the whip is just proverbial instead these days.

For example, saying a transcendent offensive player can miss defensive rotations doesn't really hurt the team from an analytics point of view is true, but if you're always dealing with a player being notoriously lazy (e.g. Harden) or notoriously out of position (e.g. Lin's overhelping), the other players can end up getting caught in two minds on whether that person will do what's expected of them, so they stop committing leading to a symphony of errors.

#14 Aleron, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It kind of confirms my theory that McHale was hired because he didn't have an established coaching philosophy or system. Guys like JVG and Adelman would not let the analytics to change their long proven systems.

1 person likes this.
  16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Did you not read the article?

"Jeff Van Gundy was coach of the Rockets for a year when Daryl Morey—whom Van Gundy called, “the Godfather of NBA analytics”—was the team’s general manager. Van Gundy said that Morey was adept at balancing numbers against the desire of a coach to run things his own way.

Morey realized, I think, that there was some art to the job of coaching and it wasn’t just a number-based approach,” Van Gundy said. “But I found the numbers that he presented to make you really self-evaluate"

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't tell it to Pat Riley, bro. He'll put together the Avengers, buy a jet, fly out to your house, bang your mom, then win 9 titles.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Pat Riley let a former tape operator and stat freak run his team. I grew up hating the guy, but he's adapted on the fly. He might be old school, but he's not done thinking.

19. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

JVG gets it

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I believe analytics are a great thing. I also think Morey should not be trying to coach the team, that's exactly what chased Adelman out.

1 person likes this.