1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SpaceX] New Falcon Heavy rocket preparing for launch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Mack and KingCheetah like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The Youtube feed comment section is a shitshow, so many flat-earthers screaming "FAKE!1!!!" and giving absurd pseudo-scientific reasons.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Do you honestly think there are that many "flat-earthers" out there? Your hyperbole makes me think you're probably a teenager.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There was no hyperbole in my statement, that was an actual quote, neither did I state how many flat-earthers I think exist or overstated their amount. And yes, a lot of people believing in flat-earth exist and actually believe in this.

I'm not a teenager either, quite interesting and arrogant what you are trying to deduct from a single sentence (PS: with your history on this board you really shouldn't talk about maturity or try to downtalk others on it).

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Your maturity issue is thinking that there are tons of flat-earthers out there, when they have to be so on the fringe they shouldn't even be given any notice, yet here we are, and I've noticed a lot of kids with the mindset that there are tons of them out there; it shows you don't have a grasp on society quite yet.

As to my maturity? Kid, I've been on here 20 years. I'm mature when I need to be, and this place isn't it.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

are there as many flat earthers now
    as there were round earthets in Columbus's time.

Rocket River

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No idea why you are constructing bs out of thin air just for the sake of arguing.

I never stated that these guys make up a large part of society, but denying that a lot of them exist and then somehow saying it makes me immature or not understanding society is just plain weird and grasping for straws.

Lot of wannabe psychologists on the internet.

rockbox and marks0223 like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's revolutionary. NASA, the Europeans, and the Russians have been fixated with using one or a handful of huge rocket engines to drive their big rockets. Musk, using his knowledge of the advances in computer engineering, software, etc., had the brilliant idea to tie dozens together to create that huge thrust needed to get a big payload out of Earth's gravity well. It's an elegant solution to an enormous problem. And not only that! He uses the same cutting edge solution to create a design that allows the boosters to land on their own, instead of burning up or falling into the ocean. The video of those two boosters landing together in Florida is straight out of 1950's science fiction flicks.

I'm loving it!

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Did they ever release what went wrong with the third booster? I read that they knew but it didn't say, just that it fell to the ocean and later the Air Force launched an air strike to destroy it.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Two of the 3 rocket engines failed to ignite. That's according to SpaceX, but it might take a while to figure out the problem. The engine that did ignite slowed it to about 300mph. It hit the water about 300 feet from the "drone ship" SpaceX had at sea and apparently there was a huge explosion that damaged the ship. I'd sure like to see video of that happening!

Yung-T, Blatz and A_3PO like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Only one of the engines re-ignited, it (fortunately) missed the drone ship and landed in water at 300 mph. Plenty of shrapnel everywhere.

Yung-T and Blatz like this.
  12. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Why doesn’t International space station capture Starman Tesla in space? I never see the video or photo captured by ISS on Starman Tesla in space anywhere online.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Space is really, really big.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

And now, thanks to Elon Musk, there is no longer a non-zero chance of getting into a car wreck in space.

RunninRaven likes this.
  15. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

The rocket attached to Tesla roadster was deattached when it was fired for the last time sending the car into deep space, correct? If so, where did the upper stage rocket go? Does that rocket still orbit the earth?

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...a-elon-musk-mars-spacex-asteroid-belt/552719/

17. KingCheetah

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Far out! I wanna see a launch. :cool:

19. KingCheetah

Last night's launch (not Falcon Heavy).

20. KingCheetah

Successful docking today.